Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

willmtaylor

macrumors G4
Original poster
Oct 31, 2009
Here(-ish)
Every day I use my iPhone as my alarm clock. Previously, when my alarm would go off, it would be easy to turn it off, snooze, or even find my iPhone on the nightstand because the screen was always lit up.

However, now I notice that the screen only lights up for a few seconds, but then turns off again. The alarm continues, mind you, but this is frustrating. Obviously others are having this issue, as there's a 7-page thread discussing it on Apple's Support Community forums, but no one has found an answer: https://discussions.apple.com/thread/7234672

Has anyone here encourage encountered or even rectified this issue?

Thanks.

sawah

macrumors 65816
Sep 13, 2010
Same happens here. I've just gotten in the habit of turning the screen on and pushing snooze or whatever.

Reactions: willmtaylor

maxsix

Suspended
Jun 28, 2015
Western Hemisphere
Every day I use my iPhone as my alarm clock. Previously, when my alarm would go off, it would be easy to turn it off, snooze, or even find my iPhone on the nightstand because the screen was always lit up.

However, now I notice that the screen only lights up for a few seconds, but then turns off again. The alarm continues, mind you, but this is frustrating. Obviously others are having this issue, as there's a 7-page thread discussing it on Apple's Support Community forums, but no one has found an answer: https://discussions.apple.com/thread/7234672

Thanks.
I had the exact same issue.

One brief appointment with an Apple genious at the store was all it took. They delivered the normal fast courteous service I get every time.

Gave me a replacement unit and all's well. :D

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it

Thanks.
Previously when? Did you update? I haven't noticed this, the phone screen does dim after a reasonable amount of time. Is this what you are saying?

willmtaylor

macrumors G4
Original poster
Oct 31, 2009
Here(-ish)
I had the exact same issue.

One brief appointment with an Apple genious at the store was all it took. They delivered the normal fast courteous service I get every time.

Gave me a replacement unit and all's well. :D

I know we have our differences, but are you serious? They replaced your phone for a software issue (and an alarm issue no less)?

Previously when? Did you update? I haven't noticed this, the phone screen does dim after a reasonable amount of time. Is this what you are saying?

I can't recall exactly when it has or hasn't worked, but it only stays on for a few seconds (like a notification when the phone is locked).

Reactions: koolmagicguy

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
It is annoying. I am in the habit of pressing the volume buttons to snooze the alarm or using the home button to stop it.

willmtaylor

macrumors G4
Original poster
Oct 31, 2009
Here(-ish)
It is annoying. I am in the habit of pressing the volume buttons to snooze the alarm or using the home button to stop it.
It happens to you as well then? (Comes on for a few seconds and then the screen turns off again).

Do you think it's a software "feature" or a bug?

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
It happens to you as well then? (Comes on for a few seconds and then the screen turns off again).

Do you think it's a software "feature" or a bug?

I cannot image this would be the new way they want it to work. It is probably a bug. Do you have an apple watch? I wonder if that has something to do with it. I have one.

willmtaylor

macrumors G4
Original poster
Oct 31, 2009
Here(-ish)
It also occurs exactly the same with different alarms and new alarms.

I simply report my real experiences.
Good deal, thanks. It's good to hear that they offered a swap even for something that minute in nature.
[doublepost=1460576178][/doublepost]
I cannot image this would be the new way they want it to work. It is probably a bug. Do you have an apple watch? I wonder if that has something to do with it. I have one.
I do not.

kupkakez

macrumors 68020
Apr 4, 2011
Austin, TX
I have the same problem. I just use the volume button to snooze it or home button to turn it off. I only realized this maybe about a month ago? I couldn't remember if it had always been this way or not, but I guess not!

willmtaylor

macrumors G4
Original poster
Oct 31, 2009
Here(-ish)
I have the same problem. I just use the volume button to snooze it or home button to turn it off. I only realized this maybe about a month ago? I couldn't remember if it had always been this way or not, but I guess not!
Nope. Screen used to/is supposed to stay lit during entire alarm.

It's as if the alarm is treated as just another notification that wakes the screen and is then dismissed a few seconds later.

Reactions: koolmagicguy

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
Mine does the same thing. I keep my iPhone in my office so by the time I walk to it the screen is off....been like that for as long as I remember. I could see someone finding this very annoying.

Here is a video for those that don't know what is being talked about.

willmtaylor

macrumors G4
Original poster
Oct 31, 2009
Here(-ish)
Mine does the same thing. I keep my iPhone in my office so by the time I walk to it the screen is off....been like that for as long as I remember. I could see someone finding this very annoying.

Exactly. Thanks for the video.

macfacts

macrumors 601
Oct 7, 2012
Cybertron

Interesting. Can't you just use your voice to snooze or turn off the alarm? "Hey Siri. Stop alarm" Using my voice to turn off the alarm is a feature I like on my 3 year old Note 3.

willmtaylor

macrumors G4
Original poster
Oct 31, 2009
Here(-ish)
Interesting. Can't you just use your voice to snooze or turn off the alarm? "Hey Siri. Stop alarm" Using my voice to turn off the alarm is a feature I like on my 3 year old Note 3.
I don't see that going over well with the wife. :confused:

Thanks for the suggestion though; it might help others.

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012

It doesn't effect me personally. Like I mentioned I keep my phone in a different room. That forces me to get up w/o snooze.

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
Just so people know:

Wake/Sleep = Snooze
Volume = Snooze

Home = Stop Alarm

In the video just above your post I press the home button to bring the screen back on. I think you mean home button to wake then home again to shut off. Maybe use your fingerprint?

Regardless of the details of button pressing and/or using Siri it's safe to say your wide awake at that point.

IFRIT

macrumors 6502a
Oct 15, 2012
Slightly off topic but anyone think it is dumb that you can't set the snooze length?

willmtaylor

macrumors G4
Original poster
Oct 31, 2009
Here(-ish)
Slightly off topic but anyone think it is dumb that you can't set the snooze length?
Yup, but not unlike a native calculator for iPad, it probably just never made it to the priority list.

Remember, Apple knows best, so 10 minutes is the best snooze length for everyone in the whole wide world. ;)

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
In the video just above your post I press the home button to bring the screen back on. I think you mean home button to wake then home again to shut off. Maybe use your fingerprint?

Regardless of the details of button pressing and/or using Siri it's safe to say your wide awake at that point.

Sorry, yes! touchID will stop it.

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
I'm still having this issue daily. Reviving to see if anyone new sees this and has a fix or any advice.

I just tested it, and it does the same thing. Lights up for around 5 seconds and then turns off. I either have to use the home button to wake the screen (touchId to turn off), or the volume buttons to snooze it.

I have just conditioned myself to remember the volume controls are snooze.

willmtaylor

macrumors G4
Original poster
Oct 31, 2009
Here(-ish)
I just tested it, and it does the same thing. Lights up for around 5 seconds and then turns off. I either have to use the home button to wake the screen (touchId to turn off), or the volume buttons to snooze it.

I have just conditioned myself to remember the volume controls are snooze.
Mine stays on for 10 seconds only, then the screen darkens again.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.