Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

newlearner14

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 7, 2008
it doesn't show the cocoa touch application, instead it basically breaks it down to smaller parts, which makes it tons more complicated. Can any1 help me or give me beta 7 download? Thanks

admanimal

macrumors 68040
Apr 22, 2005
it doesn't show the cocoa touch application, instead it basically breaks it down to smaller parts, which makes it tons more complicated. Can any1 help me or give me beta 7 download? Thanks

When you say "it" doesn't show the cocoa touch application, what do you mean exactly? If you are talking about in the New Projects window, you can just select Window-Based Application and it will give you the most basic Cocoa Touch app.

newlearner14

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 7, 2008
Thanks. Could you give me some tutorials that'll show me how to work things on it? I'm really new to this... and all the basic forms that the template brings up are different than the tutorials... Thanks.

Enuratique

macrumors 6502
Apr 28, 2008
Unfortunately, alot has changed in the SDK since when a lot of tutorials were first written back in April. Also, a lot of the code samples do a lot of the UI creation in code and not through the Interface Builder which the older project templates also did - now they give you blank xib files for you to build your UI in.

Probably one of the better tutorial web sites I know of is iPhone Dev Central and that may get you started on your way.

Also, I would recommend against using an older beta of the SDK just because it will match what your tutorials show. At some point (and Apple may have already done this with beta 8) you won't be able to submit an app if it doesn't conform to a minimum build number.

Finally, and a lot of people make this mistake, this forum isn't a place to ask very broad "I know nothing about iPhone development, but would love it if you could impart a panacea of knowledge in a couple of posts". I knew nothing about Objective-C and iPhone development 3 months ago, but I did a bunch of reading (yeah, I know, reading sucks and it's a lot more fun to just dive in head first and grope your way through coding until you have something halfway functional) on Apple's developer site on the Objective-C 2.0 Programming Language, Fundamentals of iPhone development, Interface Builder, etc and now I am proficient enough that my app is running beautifully without any leaks or bugs and I'm able to assist other people solve their specific problems on this forum. Everything you need to learn how to develop for the iPhone is there - you just have to read it. There are a lot of posts on here where people run into a bunch of problems (memory leaks, crashes, etc) simply because they didn't read first and could have saved everyone a bunch of time and headache if they exerted a little due diligence.

Sorry for the diatribe, but I'm happy to help with specific problems but very broad questions are just too nebulous to get even a halfway decent answer back.

=Enuratique

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.