Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

oldmacs

macrumors 601
Original poster
Sep 14, 2010
Australia
Hi all,

I have my Grandma on an iPhone 6, but she has been complaining of battery life. She had the battery replaced, but I have no idea where and by whom - very possible she has a dodgy cheap battery from a kiosk. The alternative is that she's just not used to having to charge a smartphone, she came from a feature phone.

She will BARELY be using the phone at all, just for calls and for using COVID safe QR check-in code. So the most important thing is going to be the standby time.

What is the 2nd gen iPhone SE like for battery life in terms of standby time? I'd be moving her onto an iPhone 12 mini, but its been a hard enough adoption to the iPhone, to chuck out her learning of the home button.

Alternatively - is there an Android phone at the 2nd gen iPhone SE price point, which has a physical button + better battery life than the 2nd gen iPhone SE?

NoBoMac

Staff member
Jul 1, 2014
Before iOS 14.6, was getting good life on SE 2. Using it for podcasts, workouts/Health, occasional web & email, was getting more than a day, easy. Since...

Too early to tell if 14.7 fixed things. Prior day, no real change in usage, phone was draining fast. Last 12 hours, no use, drop of about 20-25%.

ADD: I'm messing around with uninstalling some apps that might be chewing power and force quitting a couple of things. We'll see if that helps any.

Last edited:

oldmacs

macrumors 601
Original poster
Sep 14, 2010
Australia
Before iOS 14.6, was getting good life on SE 2. Using it for podcasts, workouts/Health, occasional web & email, was getting more than a day, easy. Since...

Too early to tell if 14.7 fixed things. Prior day, no real change in usage, phone was draining fast. Last 12 hours, no use, drop of about 20-25%.
mm thats vey off-putting to have 20-25 percent of a drop in just 12 hours...

lkalliance

macrumors 65816
Jul 17, 2015
I'm afraid my experience with my SE 2020 has been middling battery life. Not as good as my SE 2016 was (I had replaced that phone's battery at one point, to be fair). Not TERRIBLE on its own merits...but not as good as I was used to.

humpbacktwale

macrumors regular
Dec 20, 2019
Its been worse for me going to it from a 6s. I think the issue is higher performance componets with only a slight increase in battery capacity.

With little usage, just because I have been cutting back over covid, I'd get 15% drain a day on my 6s, with 89% battery health. My SE 2nd gen is a month old, 100% battery health, and the same amount of usage gets 20% drain a day.

NoBoMac

Staff member
Jul 1, 2014
Played with some background refresh settings yesterday, switched podcast apps, and saw about 1.3% drain/hr over-night. Better, but works out to 15-16% over 12hrs. But, was seeing about 1%/hr on idle iirc prior to 14.6, so will take it.

oldmacs

macrumors 601
Original poster
Sep 14, 2010
Australia
What is super annoying, is that Apple no longer publish ‘standby‘ battery life anymore - they last did with the iPhone 7 :(

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.