Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

madmads

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 24, 2008
UK
So my dad has an SE2. He updated to iOS 14.2 this morning and now car play isn't working in his van and when he doesn't use CP his phone won't stay connected to bluetooth to make calls. He is very cross and turned up on my door step this afternoon demanding I fix it!! lol

Anyway, he is right if the phone is plugged into the van and he makes an outgoing call the phone disconnects from bluetooth and he can't hear the caller. If he leaves the phone unplugged it seems to work.

However he uses CarPlay daily to use apple maps and when the phone is plugged in, CarPlay just doesn't work and doesn't seem to want to charge the phone either. I've checked all the settings on the van and the phone all ok. I've plugged my iphone into his van and CarPlay works. Also tried a different cable.

I've done a hard reset and a restore on his phone and still doesn't work.

I've contacted apple support and they don't have a clue either!

Anyone got any ideas? I'm in the UK so can't get to an apple store at the moment due to our lockdown and the van in question is a 2 year old Ford Transit.

malcky77

macrumors regular
Oct 12, 2019
If I had this problem, I would try the following:
See if there is a setting in the van to delete his phone from it’s memory.
Delete/forget the van from from your dads Bluetooth devices.
Delete/forget any cars listed in your dads CarPlay settings.
Once the above are done, I would power off the phone, turn it back on after a minute or two then goto the van and goto the Bluetooth settings to pair a new device, and then goto your dads phone Bluetooth setting to see if it appears and pair.
If that works then I would then plug the phone into the vans iPhone cable, hopefully hear the charging sound, then goto the CarPlay setting on the phone and hopefully the van will appear to let it connect.
If none of the above work then I’d be stumped.

Reactions: madmads

madmads

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 24, 2008
UK
Thank you, will try some of these later when he turns up on my door step again. It really is a head scratcher.

madmads

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 24, 2008
UK
Thank you. Just to update the thread in case anyone has the same problem in the future, I reset the software again in the van out of frustration and then it started working again!

Was very odd.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.