Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nasht00

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 22, 2010
My wife’s iPhone 8 is partly broken and I was looking for an affordable upgrade, and the new iPhone SE seems to be the answer.

I’m not in a hurry. Therefore my question is: should we expect a price drop on the SE when the premium models are released towards the end of the year? Or should I just buy it now?

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
My wife’s iPhone 8 is partly broken and I was looking for an affordable upgrade, and the new iPhone SE seems to be the answer.

I’m not in a hurry. Therefore my question is: should we expect a price drop on the SE when the premium models are released towards the end of the year? Or should I just buy it now?

Absolutely not. Apples not reducing a ~$399 price point for an entry-level iPhone. If you find any reduction of price, it probably be through a carrier offering a promotion, but not direct through Apple for a Phone at $399. [Maybe in the future they might reduce the price of the higher storage tier model, but not the base entry-level model for 2020.]

oVerboost

macrumors 68000
Sep 17, 2013
United Kingdom
Absolutely not. Apples not reducing a ~$399 price point for an entry-level iPhone. If you find any reduction of price, it probably be through a carrier offering a promotion, but not direct through Apple for a Phone at $399. [Maybe in the future they might reduce the price of the higher storage tier model, but not the base entry-level model for 2020.]

This

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017
I wouldn’t be surprised if Apple decides to cut the price by $50 to make room for the SE2 Plus at $499.

ian87w

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2020
Indonesia
I wouldn’t be surprised if Apple decides to cut the price by $50 to make room for the SE2 Plus at $499.
Unlikely. Why would Apple drop the price mere months after release?
Besides, imo the $499 price point is going to be filled with the XR when the iPhone 12 is released.
[automerge]1587022880[/automerge]

Apple don't usually drop prices that quickly. If you need it, just get one. At $399, it's already a very good deal.
Or you can wait until 2021 and see if Apple would have it available in the refurbished section.

cambookpro

macrumors 604
Feb 3, 2010
United Kingdom
Is any of the October lineup expected to be low priced ?
In short - no. I‘d expect the iPhone 12 to slot in where the iPhone 11 currently is - whether the rumoured 5.4” is cheaper and the 6.1” remains the same, or the 6.1” gets more expensive isn’t quite clear, but I’d imagine it probably won’t start lower than ~$649. And that’s if they don’t use 5G as an excuse to stick another $100 on the price tag. The Pros will probably still stay $999 and up.

The XR might drop in price by another $100 to fill the void the 8 Plus left, but that’s about it. I wouldn’t be surprised if the 11 was discontinued, as XR/11/12 is probably too much overlap.

The SE is a great choice if you’re on a budget, no Android phone can really compete on processor and camera at that price. You compromise a little on the less modern looks, but it’s a good choice if you don’t mind bezels, LCD screens and Touch ID.

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
The XR might drop in price by another $100 to fill the void the 8 Plus left, but that’s about it. I wouldn’t be surprised if the 11 was discontinued, as XR/11/12 is probably too much overlap.
Hmm, the XR is more likely to overlap with the rumored SE Plus. If the SE Plus does get released, I expect the XR would just be dropped from the lineup and we'll have SE/SE Plus/11/12.

Reactions: jimmy_uk

cambookpro

macrumors 604
Feb 3, 2010
United Kingdom
Hmm, the XR is more likely to overlap with the rumored SE Plus. If the SE Plus does get released, I expect the XR would just be dropped from the lineup and we'll have SE/SE Plus/11/12.

Yeah that would make sense, though the talk of any SE Plus seems to have gone quiet and it would be slightly odd to release it a significant time after the 4.7” version.

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017

I think the XR is performing very well in sales for it to be dropped any time soon. Apple typically keeps an iPhone model as an active product for 36 months. Given the current negative global outlook, I wouldn't be surprised if Apple kept their mainstream 4G offerings in late 2020 to hedge against their $999 5G devices.

SE2 - $349
SE2 Plus - $449
XR - $499
11 - $599

tonybarnaby

macrumors 68020
Dec 3, 2017
It’s crazy to me that the plus isn’t ready yet. It’s basically a plus body with an a13 and a new camera. It’s all recycled parts.

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017
It’s crazy to me that the plus isn’t ready yet. It’s basically a plus body with an a13 and a new camera. It’s all recycled parts.

According to Kuo, the SE2 Plus will be thin-bezel with a notch and fingerprint sensor on the power button. Given this, I understand why it's not expected until late 2020 or 1H21. Seems to be a genuine effort by Apple to develop a final 4G device for customers in developing economies.

Ladybug

macrumors 68000
Apr 13, 2006
Would it be too late for Apple to drop plans for a SE+ considering the downturn in the economy? Not to mention all the models available by this fall. I can totally see Apple making this move.

tonybarnaby

macrumors 68020
Dec 3, 2017
According to Kuo, the SE2 Plus will be thin-bezel with a notch and fingerprint sensor on the power button. Given this, I understand why it's not expected until late 2020 or 1H21. Seems to be a genuine effort by Apple to develop a final 4G device for customers in developing economies.
Any shot at 4gb of ram?

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017
Would it be too late for Apple to drop plans for a SE+ considering the downturn in the economy? Not to mention all the models available by this fall. I can totally see Apple making this move.

SE2 Plus seems to be a low-cost device with a long tail end. It has features found on common Android phones in the past few years. If anything, this model is needed to be competitive against devices like the $169 Xiaomi Mi A3, which has triple rear-lens, in-display fingerprint, and 6.1" OLED.
[automerge]1587062578[/automerge]
Any shot at 4gb of ram?

No credible rumors yet. But UBS believes iPhone 5G will have 4GB while the 5G Pro will carry 6GB. Given that, I wouldn't bet on SE2 Plus carrying 4GB.

JM

macrumors 601
Nov 23, 2014
There's another thread just like this one....

Posted the article below there, too.

ian87w

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2020
Indonesia
There's another thread just like this one....

Posted the article below there, too.

I don’t think the SE will drop in price. There is already a large gap between it and the XR, and the XR slot will be filled by the iPhone 11.

Reactions: sportsnut

compwiz1202

macrumors 604
May 20, 2010
Yea don't look to Apple. There might be a chance that carriers or other third parties like WM BB Target... might have deals sometime.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.