Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JustAnExpat

Suspended
Original poster
Nov 27, 2019
Hello

I'm thinking about purchasing an iPhone SE 2016. I currently have a Samsung Galaxy J6 2018, which I don't like. I don't like it because:

1. The size. It's a 5.6" display, and I can't use it one handed
2. No security updates
3. The camera is not that good (I can't get it to focus)
4. Doesn't play well with my MacBook Air and my iPad Air 2

I have a Samsung Galaxy Young 2 as well. The only thing I like with that phone is the 3.5" screen size, which fits my hand perfectly (very badly reviewed phone when it came out).

I'm thinking about getting an iPhone SE 2016 instead. Here's my use case:

1. Light email and internet surfing
2. "Utility" programs like Booking.com, audio recorders, and some photography (nothing professional). The SE 2016 has the same camera as the iPad Air 2, and is basically a phone size version of the iPad Air 2, correct? I use the iPad Air 2 to take pictures now, and I've been happy with the camera.
3. Able to use Airdrop to quickly transfer files between my MacBook Air and the iPad Air 2
4. Telephone calls and recording calls (of course)!
5. Automatic, real time translation from Google Translate using the camera. The Galaxy Young 2 can't do any translation and the J6 is really slow.

I *DO NOT* use Youtube, and if I play games they are really lightweight, like Pacman 256 or Fruit Ninja.

Would my use case be good for an iPhone SE 2016?

theapplehead

macrumors 6502a
Dec 17, 2018
North Carolina
Hello

I'm thinking about purchasing an iPhone SE 2016. I currently have a Samsung Galaxy J6 2018, which I don't like. I don't like it because:

2. No security updates

I have a Samsung Galaxy Young 2 as well. The only thing I like with that phone is the 3.5" screen size, which fits my hand perfectly (very badly reviewed phone when it came out).

2. "Utility" programs like Booking.com, audio recorders, and some photography (nothing professional). The SE 2016 has the same camera as the iPad Air 2, and is basically a phone size version of the iPad Air 2, correct? I use the iPad Air 2 to take pictures now, and I've been happy with the camera.
3. Able to use Airdrop to quickly transfer files between my MacBook Air and the iPad Air 2
5. Automatic, real time translation from Google Translate using the camera. The Galaxy Young 2 can't do any translation and the J6 is really slow.

I *DO NOT* use Youtube, and if I play games they are really lightweight, like Pacman 256 or Fruit Ninja.

iPhone SE 2016 is still a very competent phone. It obviously won’t perform as well as some of the newer iPhones out there right now, but it can still hold its own. Out of curiosity have you considered perhaps going for the iPhone 8 or the SE 2020? I would definitely recommend taking a look at either of them as they have a good bit more power and you would be able to likely get a longer lifespan than you could the 2016 SE.

Starfia

macrumors 6502a
Apr 11, 2011
My pocket device is always the one I don't feel like I need to update to the latest or greatest, and I'm planning to hang on to my first-gen iPhone SE for iOS 14 in the fall. The camera has been refined every year, but photos from this device still look really good to me, and HD (and I think even 4K?) video is no problem. I think I found it almost new for $150 a few years ago, and the value of its service since then has far exceeded that.

I can feel the relative slowness today, but it's still totally fine for me. If I were buying a new phone now, I'd seriously consider the new iPhone SE (the new "minimum" size feels like a compromise to me, but for an entry-level phone, it's amazing that it leads the smartphone industry in performance and will last for years). So I'd weigh that if you're planning to use the phone you buy for more than a year or two.

Offhand, I'm not sure what I'd use to record calls, and I've never tried Google Translate with the camera, so I'll trust you're doing your homework on those.

arfbsantoso

macrumors regular
Sep 12, 2019
Hello

2. No security updates

Still using my SE (1st gen).
iOS 13.5.1.

Reactions: __xg__fv__c@

RednBlue

macrumors regular
Dec 17, 2013
Reading UK
Hello

2. No security updates

Perfectly good phone. Still using mine with iOS13.6 without any problems. Only thing that lets it down in comparison to new models is the camera, but it's still pretty good.

Yorkshire Lad

macrumors regular
Sep 18, 2015
Leeds
I bought an SE a year or so ago and it does me fine. My use is mostly the same as yours, except that (3) I use OneDrive and (5) I don't use Google Translate. I use it mostly for email, social, banking and checking on things such as news or travel details/info. Battery life isn't great (I have Bluetooth off, wifi on and need to recharge every two days or so (rarely make or receive phone calls!)) and my screen has developed a yellow-ish band down the right-hand side, as if it's worn out from too much scrolling.

Actually tempted to find a 128Gb version to replace my 64Gb iPod Touch 6 (longer battery life as well as the extra memory), as it'll be a more comfortable fit in my pocket when travelling than an SE2 or larger.

lkalliance

macrumors 65816
Jul 17, 2015
Still using my SE (1st gen).
iOS 13.5.1.
Was using mine until the launch of the SE 2020...at which point it was passed along to my stepson, who is using it now. My partner is still using her SE 2016. Both mine and hers have had recent battery replacements, and are doing just fine.

EDIT: My daughter as well is still using her 6S, which though a different form factor is internally essentially a 2016 SE.

Reactions: arfbsantoso

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
iPhone SE 2016 is still a very competent phone. It obviously won’t perform as well as some of the newer iPhones out there right now, but it can still hold its own. Out of curiosity have you considered perhaps going for the iPhone 8 or the SE 2020? I would definitely recommend taking a look at either of them as they have a good bit more power and you would be able to likely get a longer lifespan than you could the 2016 SE.

It would be a mistake to recommend the iPhone 8, especially given the starting price point/form factor of the iPhone SE 2020 is virtually the same. Not to mention, the iPhone 8 is discontinued and with iOS 14 coming, there’s no way of knowing how it will perform given its age with the A11 Bionic.

theapplehead

macrumors 6502a
Dec 17, 2018
North Carolina
It would be a mistake to recommend the iPhone 8, especially given the starting price point/form factor of the iPhone SE 2020 is virtually the same. Not to mention, the iPhone 8 is discontinued and with iOS 14 coming, there’s no way of knowing how it will perform given its age with the A11 Bionic.
Disagree. iPhone 8 is still a very capable device. If OP is considering the even older iPhone SE (2016) I think it’s beneficial to recommend the iPhone 8 as well. I have an iPhone 8 I use as a test device for betas and I’m currently on the dev. beta for iOS 14 and can confirm that the phone runs quite smoothly. The iPhone 8 could also prove to be a better option given its cheaper price point at this time. The only real difference between the iPhone 8 and SE (2020) is gonna be the processor. In my opinion it’s not worth the extra $100 just for a newer processor in an iPhone 8 body. Ultimately that’s up to the OP though. However, I’m doing what I can to help the OP by laying out all the facts/info for him/her.

nordique

macrumors 68000
Oct 12, 2014
My cousin still religiously uses his SE 2016

He loves the phone and finds it very fast still

He is a very successful tech consultant and designs security systems for medium to large clients and he says this phone is still perfect

Even very tech savvy people and those who have entire businesses around tech stuff love this phone! (Size is his #1 reason for this phone)

ignatius345

macrumors 604
Aug 20, 2015
The 8 is still quite a capable phone and runs iOS 13 and will likely run iOS 14. If one has the choice, obviously the new SE is a faster phone.

Reactions: theapplehead

Thoradin

macrumors 6502a
May 18, 2020
Yorkshire, England
The original SE is still a fine device.
I bought a refurbished 16gb one in January this year for a bargain at £55. It was a great way for me to take a look and see if the Apple ecosystem was worth it for me after being with Android so long.
In April I replaced it with an XR though that was only due to lockdown and the amount of video calls that were going on with family, I needed a larger screen and better front camera.

ignatius345

macrumors 604
Aug 20, 2015
The original SE is still a fine device.
I bought a refurbished 16gb one in January this year for a bargain at £55. It was a great way for me to take a look and see if the Apple ecosystem was worth it for me after being with Android so long.
In April I replaced it with an XR though that was only due to lockdown and the amount of video calls that were going on with family, I needed a larger screen and better front camera.

It's funny, I caught myself thinking this morning "I wish Apple would make a small, stripped-down phone that I could use just for the basics, and which maybe I wouldn't spend so much screen time on" -- and then I remembered that I have a first-gen SE just sitting here. I may well go back to it.

Reactions: serpico007

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
Disagree. iPhone 8 is still a very capable device. If OP is considering the even older iPhone SE (2016) I think it’s beneficial to recommend the iPhone 8 as well. I have an iPhone 8 I use as a test device for betas and I’m currently on the dev. beta for iOS 14 and can confirm that the phone runs quite smoothly. The iPhone 8 could also prove to be a better option given its cheaper price point at this time. The only real difference between the iPhone 8 and SE (2020) is gonna be the processor. In my opinion it’s not worth the extra $100 just for a newer processor in an iPhone 8 body. Ultimately that’s up to the OP though. However, I’m doing what I can to help the OP by laying out all the facts/info for him/her.
Processor, extra RAM, dual SIM, fresh battery and warranty.

Personally, $100 savings isn't worth it to me to go for a 3-year old used device. Particularly not with the carrier offers/discounts available for the SE.

The iPhone 8 is a perfectly capable device and no doubt has several years left. It's just pricing isn't particularly attractive versus the SE.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.