Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Kogut

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 11, 2020
Hello
Tomorrow I will get my new Iphone SE from 2016, not actived.
I wonder:
  • Which IOS version will be installed
  • Which IOS version is required to install all daily use apps ( social media, banking )
  • Which IOS version I will be able to install
  • Which version will perform the best
If anyone has that iphone and could advice me I will be very grateful

||\||

Suspended
Nov 21, 2019
I still use an OG SE. It's an MP3 player and web browser now. No phone. No messaging. Barebones. I installed 14.4 yesterday and it runs fine. I think Apple revokes the certificates of older iOS version fairly soon after a new release, so 14 is what will likely install by default. You might be able to hack a lower version into the machine. Security risks lead me to believe this is not a great idea. iOS 14 runs FINE on the 2016 SE.

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
I still use an OG SE. It's an MP3 player and web browser now. No phone. No messaging. Barebones. I installed 14.4 yesterday and it runs fine. I think Apple revokes the certificates of older iOS version fairly soon after a new release, so 14 is what will likely install by default. You might be able to hack a lower version into the machine. Security risks lead me to believe this is not a great idea. iOS 14 runs FINE on the 2016 SE.

If it's a brand new, sealed in box iPhone, chances are it will have older firmware preinstalled. Maybe even iOS 12 or older depending on how old the stock is.

That said, only options for firmware install/updates is iOS 14.3 or 14.4. Apple has already revoked the certificate for anything older.

It does cope pretty well with iOS 14 especially if one keeps it lean.

Reactions: ||\||

LFC2020

macrumors P6
Apr 4, 2020
Hello
I wonder:
  • Which IOS version is required to install all daily use apps ( social media, banking )
Not rocket science, install the latest update from the software updates settings.

• Haha
Reactions: John dosh

DevinNj

macrumors 68000
Apr 27, 2016
New Jersey
Hello
I wonder:
Where'd you score a new one? There's another very recent thread here where OP is asking where to find a new one?

Yoms

macrumors 6502
Jun 1, 2016
Where'd you score a new one? There's another very recent thread here where OP is asking where to find a new one?
Thanks DevinNj. I'm the OP of this this thread you're probably referring to :).

Kogut, could you share with us how/where you managed to get your hand on a brand new one? And yes, if it's brand-new and never opened, it will ship with the iOS version available at the phone's manufacturing time. I also assume you'll get the 1-year warranty from Apple as the warranty starts at selling time.

Last edited:
Reactions: DevinNj

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
Hello
I wonder:
The only versions of iOS being signed for the SE are 14.3 and 14.4. Consequently your only options for iOS are to leave the phone on whatever version it's on when you receive it, or to upgrade to 14.3 or 14.4. Given the security fixes included in 14.4, you should install that.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.