Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

musicpenguy

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 29, 2006
Not sure if there has been much speculation on what Apple will do to the SE in 2018. The 2 big things I hope they figure out is how to add 3D Touch and add a glass back to enable Qi charging.

What else are people hoping for? Long term I’d love X like design in this smaller form factor. The X is still way too large and would love an X mini.

tresmith

macrumors 6502
Jul 25, 2014
I was just going to make a thread about this same topic.

I feel that when they did the first SE last year it was a half measure because it wasn't a totally redesign. They just reused the iphone 5 body.

My wish is for Apple to make an iPhone SE with the look and guts of an iPhone 8. 3D touch, Glass back for wireless charging, A11 Bionic chip, and a 3.5 mm headphone jack.

Starfyre

macrumors 68030
Nov 7, 2010
I feel the iPhone SE will end up looking like the iPhone 6/6S. The iPhone 4 is a really old design, a good design, but a really old design. The next in line for newer, but old design is the 6/6S.

Last edited:

Traverse

macrumors 604
Mar 11, 2013
Here
As much as I’d like that, I think it will only be a spec bump. The SE is a budget model for developing markets.

A complete redesign and feature parody would be part of a major announcement I think.

I’m also skeptical that it will get the A11. I see the A10.

hmorneau

macrumors regular
Jan 4, 2016
From the rumor, they want to get it manufactured in India, and they want it as a low cost device to sell it in India (and outside). So I doubt they will have all the newest feature. That's why I got an Iphone 8 (I really wanted wireless charging) and I think I will get disappointed when the SE 2018 will come out.

But I hope those rumors are wrong, if they are, I will probably switch to a SE 2018.

Reno Raines

macrumors 65816
Jul 19, 2015
I think keeping its current size would be important for those who prefer smaller screens. Also throw a bone to those who like wired headphones and keep the headphone jack.

Reactions: GeekishlyGreek

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
As much as I’d like that, I think it will only be a spec bump. The SE is a budget model for developing markets.

A complete redesign and feature parody would be part of a major announcement I think.

Good logic here. I think the iPhone SE will return, rather it keep the same name or not is questionable. But if it does return, it's not going to have the latest internals as the iPhone 8 or X. It will not have a headphone jack, because that will go completely against Apples vision at this moment with Bluetooth.

I think it will see a newer design, upgraded display, perhaps a water resistance rating with the haptic home button, camera upgrades, etc.

But what most have to remember, is The iPhone SE was intended to be an entry-level priced iPhone and for India's market. In order to accomplish that, it won't have the latest iPhone features, but I think will be upgraded enough to where someone would appreciate it.

andreyush

macrumors 6502a
Oct 24, 2015
y'all don't know why SE was released don't you?

That design is the last design of jobs legacy. It would be so stupid for Apple to release another SE redesigned. It would lose all the "special". I hope this model it's the last

musicpenguy

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 29, 2006
y'all don't know why SE was released don't you?

That design is the last design of jobs legacy. It would be so stupid for Apple to release another SE redesigned. It would lose all the "special". I hope this model it's the last

Size is the reason this phone exists that much was said in its introduction. A glass backed SE would in fact be the best of both worlds, loved the 4 design and would love the 5 size in the 4 wrapper!

chleuasme

macrumors 6502
Apr 17, 2012
I think it will only be a spec bump. The SE is a budget model for developing markets.

Given the price of the SE, I think you don't have a good grasp at the "developing markets".

And when released 6 months after the 6S, it got the same A9 chip (and rear camera module): they amortized it on a two years cycle.

If they go for a simple spec bump as you propose with no design change, i would bet for this Spring on A11 Bionic (wtf is that name lol) and 8's rear camera, Touch ID 2, still no 3D touch, and price starting at something like $450 for 64GB, with 1st gen still at $350. Oh, and add a friggin' barometer, thank you.

Now, we also could imagine a 8-like design, rebranding it as the 8 mini or something, and to price it around $500 to consolidate the non-X line with the same design language and features.

Last edited:

elmarjazz

macrumors regular
May 26, 2010
When will we see a new iPhone SE?

I’ve been without a phone for some time now and it is time to get another. After going through the comparisons of iPhones, the SE just seems to be a good choice for me. Size and cost are the main considerations (my iPad mini does the job if I do need a larger screen along with me), and everything else internally and in actual use is on par with the 6s and 7 (except maybe the front facing camera, which is not a deal-beaker).

But, looking at the Buyer’s Guide the SE seems to be at the point of new version time.

So, is it wise to get an SE at this time? Any ideas when a new version is coming?

Thanks for any thoughts.

HarryWild

macrumors 68020
Oct 27, 2012
Well In am hoping for a new update in March but Apple release has been haphazard in their release schedule dates for their secondary lines like that of the iPad Mini and iPhone SE. But given Apple 8 sales, maybe Apple will step up and release a new SE that has more components in it and not classify it as the budget entry iPhone.

HarryWild

macrumors 68020
Oct 27, 2012
In the developing countries, many buyers buy it for the size factor, not the budget entry level price that Apple is trying to market it as to mostly carriers so they can get the customer to sign the contract!

smacrumon

macrumors 68030
Jan 15, 2016
In the developing countries, many buyers buy it for the size factor, not the budget entry level price that Apple is trying to market it as to mostly carriers so they can get the customer to sign the contract!
People in developed countries are keen on the size factor. Don't forget, this was the original iPhone size (in 16:9).

HarryWild

macrumors 68020
Oct 27, 2012
All the Youtube commentators refer to SE as a third world iPhone that in the U.S. marketplaces as a budget iPhone for people who cannot afford other iPhones. Many mid school kids and older say they stay away fromthe SE because of this "budget" status.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
All the Youtube commentators refer to SE as a third world iPhone that in the U.S. marketplaces as a budget iPhone for people who cannot afford other iPhones. Many mid school kids and older say they stay away fromthe SE because of this "budget" status.

Actually, the iPhone SE was intended for India's market and commerce for an affordable iPhone. They actually have a plant in Bangalore where The iPhone SE was assembled.

pika2000

Suspended
Jun 22, 2007
Youtube commentators are that, Youtube commentators.

The SE was released for the subsidized westerns market as the "free with contract" phone. It is "cheaper" to make vs the newer designed 6/6S.
In contrast, in many developing markets, people actually gravitate towards the more expensive iPhone (for status symbol) and the larger screen iPhone Plus (to consume media on-the-go). Key example, Indonesia. Apple didn't even bother launching the SE in Indonesia, but they launched the 8/+, and X recently, and use a 32GB iPhone 6 as the "value" model.

SE manufacturing in India is not because the SE is for India. Indian government requires some sort of investments from foreign companies. Everybody has a plant in India sooner or later (Samsung, Xiaomi, etc) because they have to if they want to play in the Indian market.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
SE manufacturing in India is not because the SE is for India.

That's false. The SE was not solely for India only, but it is absolutely intended for India's market even if the SE was manufactured in India. The SE in India was a crucial play. Read below.

https://www.macrumors.com/2017/05/17/apple-iphones-india/amp/

http://appleinsider.com/articles/17...pport-for-apples-manufacturing-expansion/amp/

The cost of the device remains unclear, with some Indian government officials hoping that the iPhone SE could be up to $100 cheaper than $320, the current average going rate for iPhone SE devices in the country. In most markets, including the United States, the iPhone SE starts at $399, but some analysts watching Apple's move in India argued for the need of an "aggressive" pricing on the smartphone in order for Apple to compete with the wide variety of cheap devices available. Bringing its price down below $250 would help make it more affordable, analysts say, though it would still be well above the average smartphone price in India which research firm IDC says is around $150.

“Apple is likely to sell a good number of iPhones if it prices them so aggressively,” said Faisal Kawoosa, principal analyst at research firm CMR. “In three to five years, these users will be able to graduate to a standard-priced iPhone.”Looking forward, some of the government officials said that Apple "could seek more production" within India down the line, potentially opening up manufacturing on other iPhones. Additionally, India is open to granting Apple more land and resources for its contract manufacturers to expand their operations throughout the country.

Last year, Apple began discussing its expansion in Indiawith Prime Minister Narendra Modi, who was trying to boost his "Make in India" initiative, at the same time as it looked to set up a local distribution center that could help consolidate its logistics and supply chain in the country. Apple's struggles in the country have been reported to center around the iPhone's expensive price tag -- a fact that CEO Tim Cook has admitted himself -- with a Strategy Analytics report last summer outlining a total 35 percent fewer iPhone devices sold in 2016 than in 2015.

Last edited:

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017
Key example, Indonesia. Apple didn't even bother launching the SE in Indonesia, but they launched the 8/+, and X recently, and use a 32GB iPhone 6 as the "value" model.

iPhone SE launched in Indonesia in March 2017.

Indonesia has been the last to get new model iPhones every time since iPhone 6. It has nothing to do with what you've described.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.