Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bu78

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 4, 2014
Hi,

I just bought the new iPhone SE 2020 and I am really happy with it. I came from an iPhone XS and before that I owned an iPhone 7.
I encountered the home button making a high pitched sound when pressing the home button (see youtube link). I know it could be a spring sound coming from the taptic engine but I can't remember hearing the sound on my iPhone 7. Is this normal?
I would really appreciate if iPhone SE 2020 users could check their devices. Thanks

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Hi,

I just bought the new iPhone SE 2020 and I am really happy with it. I came from an iPhone XS and before that I owned an iPhone 7.
I encountered the home button making a high pitched sound when pressing the home button (see youtube link). I know it could be a spring sound coming from the taptic engine but I can't remember hearing the sound on my iPhone 7. Is this normal?
I would really appreciate if iPhone SE 2020 users could check their devices. Thanks

There’s no spring involved with a taptic engine between the home button. The home button is actually fused directly to the Taptic Engine, providing the haptic feedback direct to the users thumb.

There’s nothing wrong with your phone, however, why you’re having some type of nuanced noise emanating from it, you’d have to have Apple look at that directly. But if it’s providing the actual feedback without any type of technical issues, I would just ignore it.

freeagent

macrumors 6502a
Mar 9, 2020
You could try a lower Taptic setting. My first 7 had an overly exuberant button too when it was new.

RoomyMoth

macrumors newbie
Aug 1, 2022
Hi,

Sorry I know I’m a tad late but I’ve just had this happen with my iPhone SE and I was wondering what others thought.
I hadn’t done anything with the iPhone to make it that way it isn’t damaged in any way but the home button was making a springy noise and my audio was corrupted.
To solve this I just reset the phone or turned it off and on again and it fixed the issue.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.