Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iHorseHead

macrumors 65816
Jan 1, 2021
I've been thinking about getting Samsung A52 vs iPhone SE. I can't decide. Samsung A52 has much better battery life, but iPhone SE is much more powerful.
Also, Samsung A52 has 5g. Any news if Apple will release a new iPhone se this year?

MICHAELSD

macrumors 603
Jul 13, 2008
NJ
Now that I’m starting to use it more often I am starting to see the drawbacks to iPhone SE vs a flagship iPhone.

The display can feel cramped for typing and causes me to make more mistakes than usual even single-handed, and the battery needs to be charged throughout the day otherwise it may not last a day of heavy use. I think during the honeymoon period a new iPhone feels better since it has fresh oleophohic coatings, etc. I’m beginning to enjoy iPhone SE less admittedly.

But the point was to reduce phone usage. I am still slightly tempted to order an iPhone 12 Pro even if it would be smarter to wait for iPhone 13 especially since it’s about three months away and the PWM rate may be improved. iPhone 12 Pro Max definitely gave me headaches and migraines so it’s likely iPhone 12 Pro would as well despite having a slightly different PWM implementation.

iHorseHead

macrumors 65816
Jan 1, 2021
Now that I’m starting to use it more often I am starting to see the drawbacks to iPhone SE vs a flagship iPhone.

The display can feel cramped for typing and causes me to make more mistakes than usual even single-handed, and the battery needs to be charged throughout the day otherwise it may not last a day of heavy use. I think during the honeymoon period a new iPhone feels better since it has fresh oleophohic coatings, etc. I’m beginning to enjoy iPhone SE less admittedly.

But the point was to reduce phone usage. I am still slightly tempted to order an iPhone 12 Pro even if it would be smarter to wait for iPhone 13 especially since it’s about three months away and the PWM rate may be improved. iPhone 12 Pro Max definitely gave me headaches and migraines so it’s likely iPhone 12 Pro would as well despite having a slightly different PWM implementation.
You don't need a flagship phone. A mid-range Android phone has all of those features. Compare Samsung A52 to iPhone SE 2020 and tell me, which one is better. Apple just ripped us off for real.

MICHAELSD

macrumors 603
Jul 13, 2008
NJ
You don't need a flagship phone. A mid-range Android phone has all of those features. Compare Samsung A52 to iPhone SE 2020 and tell me, which one is better. Apple just ripped us off for real.
Specs-wise the A52, hands-down.

iPhone SE is however better for the simple fact that it runs iOS. In that regard it’s a bargain.

iHorseHead

macrumors 65816
Jan 1, 2021

iPhone SE is however better for the simple fact that it runs iOS. In that regard it’s a bargain.
I thought so too, but I decided to get Samsung A52 after doing much of research between Samsung A52, Samsung72, iPhone XR and SE.
Also, android has YouTube Vanced and YT Music (You can listen to the music for free).

Expos of 1969

Contributor
Aug 25, 2013

You neglected to add "in my opinion" after "...it runs iOS". In my opinion my Samsung Galaxy S10e is better for the simple reasons that it does not run iOS and has a better display.

Reactions: iHorseHead

ruka.snow

macrumors 68000
Jun 6, 2017
Scotland
We regret that the 12 mini came out so soon after. But the SE 2020 is a good spare phone now if something happens.

Bawstun

Suspended
Jun 25, 2009

Spec-wise in what regard? The iPhone SE 2020 outperforms even 2021 flagship devices, the latest Pixel, is comparable with the latest Galaxy lineups etc.

iHorseHead

macrumors 65816
Jan 1, 2021
Spec-wise in what regard? The iPhone SE 2020 outperforms even 2021 flagship devices, the latest Pixel, is comparable with the latest Galaxy lineups etc.
No it does not. What universe are you living at? Also, SE's battery life sucks.
I've been doing my research for almost half a year and A52 has better camera, better battery life, better display, 5G.

nrvous1

macrumors 68000
Jul 11, 2019
San Antonio, TX
Well, I tried. Switching to an se2 for a day in place of my 12 mini. Unfortunately, the se2 will be getting returned. The look and feel of the se2 are amazing for myself as the rounded edges, even though it’s a bigger phone, felt easier to handle than my mini. But, the battery life is a killer for me. I wanted the lcd screen to help with my migraines. Such a great phone and I would have sold my mini if the battery was a bit larger. At least on par with the mini. At $399 it’s a great phone, fast/snappy and future proof for years to come.

Bawstun

Suspended
Jun 25, 2009
I've been doing my research for almost half a year and A52 has better camera, better battery life, better display, 5G.

What universe are you living in? Performance-wise the iPhone SE 2020 is nearly ahead of all competitors, only other iPhones outperform it, mostly.

It was the second best-selling smartphone last year.

Bawstun

Suspended
Jun 25, 2009

Tested: Is a $400 iPhone SE really faster than the most powerful Android phone?​

The inclusion of the A13 Bionic processor in the iPhone SE has caused Apple’s CEO, Tim Cook, to boast: “It’s an unbelievable offer. It’s, if you will, the engine of our top phones in a very affordable package. And it’s faster than the fastest Android phones. And so it’s an exceptional value.”

There’s no way to sugarcoat this: the results are quite damning.

C17DFBE5-0105-440D-9CA5-67DA8D711FFE.jpeg

The $399 iPhone SE clearly beats the $1,399 Galaxy S20 Ultra overall. But, it isn’t all bad. Looking at the CPU time, which involves tasks that rely heavily on the CPU (single-threaded and multi-threaded), the S20 Ultra actually won; 38.5 seconds vs 39.5 seconds.

However, things start to go downhill from here. The iPhone SE won the mixed CPU/GPU section convincingly by 4.3 seconds and managed a frame rate of 34 frames-per-second (fps) during the smoke particle test, compared to just 23fps for the Samsung Galaxy S20 Ultra, even though the S20 Ultra was running in 720p. Apple’s handset also won the GPU test by 2.7 seconds. The iPhone SE peaked at 23fps during that test, while the S20 Ultra managed just 18fps max.

Geekbench tells a similar story. The single-threaded score for the Galaxy S20 Ultra is 913, more than 30% lower than the iPhone SE’s 1,328. However, the S20 Ultra does bounce back with a good multi-threaded score of 3,303, a number Apple’s option can’t beat. It scores 2,673.

Even though the Galaxy S20 Ultra has better specs in just about every department, when it comes to performance, this is about the processor in the budget iPhone versus the processor in the previous flagship Samsung.

There is no denying it; the A13 is a great processor. Inside there is a hexa-core CPU setup with two high-performance cores (codename Lighting) and four energy-efficient cores (codename Thunder). There is also a four-core GPU, which owes its heritage to Imagination’s PowerVR GPUs. It is a 64-bit processor using the Arm instruction set and built on TSMC’s second-generation 7nm process node. The A13 Bionic was first used in the iPhone 11 series, and now it has found its way into the iPhone SE.

More: https://www.androidauthority.com/iphone-se-vs-most-powerful-android-galaxy-s20-ultra-1120575/

Reactions: MacLappy

mebehere

macrumors 65816
Sep 21, 2012
Looking for something to maybe tie me over until the iPhone 13 arrives.

My carrier is greatly discounting the SE so I was thinking this could be ideal. It amounts to about $240 which I figure I could sell for about the same in 6 months time.

The only negative I’ve really heard is not so good battery life. The A13 would be a major step up.
(I’m currently using an iPhone 6 so the move would be very familiar.)

Thoughts?

My experience…

Shortly after the SE 2 was released, Walmart was selling it for $200 (normally $400). I found out about it through these forums. Bought one for my mom. She does literally jack sh*t with it, but I know it’s a fantastic budget phone. She uses her iPad all the time but doesn’t get that the iPhone is basically the same.

Upgrading is tricky, and I’ve personally relied on my carrier for deals the past few years.

I went from iPhone 6 to XR in June (the next year) after the XR came out. About $350.

Yesterday I traded in my XR for a 12 128GB costing me $150 total for the phone. Pretty crazy.

This is Verizon. Good luck to you.

Reactions: ghanwani

iHorseHead

macrumors 65816
Jan 1, 2021
What universe are you living in? Performance-wise the iPhone SE 2020 is nearly ahead of all competitors, only other iPhones outperform it, mostly.

It was the second best-selling smartphone last year.
Really? Where was it the best selling smartphone last year? I just checked. It wasn't.
iPhones battery sucks and it's a well known fact. I've got an iPhone. It dies completely at 40%. I'll never go back to the iPhone and am way happier with Android and the freedom it provides.

Bawstun

Suspended
Jun 25, 2009
Really? Where was it the best selling smartphone last year? I just checked. It wasn't.
iPhones battery sucks and it's a well known fact. I've got an iPhone. It dies completely at 40%. I'll never go back to the iPhone and am way happier with Android and the freedom it provides.

I said it was the SECOND best-selling smartphone last year, and it was. The iPhone SE 2020 sold 24.2 million units. Only the iPhone 11 series sold more - the iPhone SE even outsold the iPhone 12 line.

“According to Omdia’s numbers, the iPhone 11 is the undisputed king for the most units sold in 2020, raking in a figure of 64.8 million, followed by the 2020 iPhone SE, with 24.2 million. The 6.1-inch iPhone 12, which was crowned the most popular 5G-ready smartphone for the October to November period last year, came in third place with 23.3 million units shipped for the year.

Bawstun

Suspended
Jun 25, 2009

iPhone batteries turning faulty at 39/40% is a known defect and your battery / device is defective. That was one of the primary symptoms that caused the device recall in the 6 series, phones powering off at 40%.

iHorseHead

macrumors 65816
Jan 1, 2021
iPhone batteries turning faulty at 39/40% is a known defect and your battery / device is defective. That was one of the primary symptoms that caused the device recall in the 6 series, phones powering off at 40%.
Quote me only once, not a thousand times. If you have something other to add just edit the post.
When you google "Best selling smartphones 2020" I don't see iPhone SE anywhere.
Everyone I know has problems with iPhones battery. Every single person.

Which one is really better? I'd go with Samsung a52 any day over iPhone SE. Every single friend of mine has regretted purchasing the iPhone SE. It's just quite funny. Looks like a phone from 2013.

The battery problem is also on iPhone 7 etc… My father has iPhone 7. It doesn't last at all.

Bawstun

Suspended
Jun 25, 2009
Quote me only once, not a thousand times. If you have something other to add just edit the post.
When you google "Best selling smartphones 2020" I don't see iPhone SE anywhere.
Everyone I know has problems with iPhones battery. Every single person.

Which one is really better? I'd go with Samsung a52 any day over iPhone SE. Every single friend of mine has regretted purchasing the iPhone SE. It's just quite funny. Looks like a phone from 2013.

The battery problem is also on iPhone 7 etc… My father has iPhone 7. It doesn't last at all.

Well if you’re just going to ignore their shipments and rising sales of the iPhone SE 2020 as well as all comparative speed and performance tests against Android competitors … then I don’t really know what else to say. I can’t have a conversation if the other half are denying facts and statistics.

iHorseHead

macrumors 65816
Jan 1, 2021
Well if you’re just going to ignore their shipments and rising sales of the iPhone SE 2020 as well as all comparative speed and performance tests against Android competitors … then I don’t really know what else to say. I can’t have a conversation if the other half are denying facts and statistics.
Give me the link at least. The iPhone SE wasn't anywhere on top 10 list. The iPhone 11 was though.
What difference the performance and speed does even make when the battery life, which is the most important thing in phone doesn't last? I agree with many YouTube comments: WHat's the point of having all that power when the battery doesn't last?
Also, partly Samsung galaxy a51 is more powerful and better in every way than iPhone SE. If I was shopping for iPhone I'd get iPhone XR instead of SE.
Look at the difference. Why would anyone buy SE? So outdated design.
I'd rather go with XR or mid-range Android such as A52.

satchmo

macrumors 603
Original poster
Aug 6, 2008
Canada
I've been thinking about getting Samsung A52 vs iPhone SE. I can't decide. Samsung A52 has much better battery life, but iPhone SE is much more powerful.
Also, Samsung A52 has 5g. Any news if Apple will release a new iPhone se this year?

From the sounds of it, you’ve decided already. You’ve made that very clear. Enjoy your Samsung. :)

iluvmacs99

macrumors 6502a
Apr 9, 2019
Awhile ago, I was on the fence between the iPhone SE 2020 and the iPhone 12 Mini. I really want to like the Mini and tried to like it, but my eyes eventually said NO to the PWM screen. And so, I bought the SE 2020 to replace my old SE 2016 and I really like this phone. While it's not fancy and state of the art, the phone is fast. Just as fast as the iPhone 11 that I also tested and has the larger regular LCD screen. But then, I'm a small phone person, so iPhone SE 2020 it is.

I'm never a believer of benchmarks, because I didn't buy a phone to run benchmarks, so what's the point of me watching countless Youtube videos showing the SE against whatever phones. I buy a phone to use it, to run my set of apps that I bought such as Essential Anatomy 5, which is a medical human anatomy program which can get quite demanding when showing all the anatomy details on my older phone. Like Jerry Mcguire said -- "Show me the money". SE 2020, "show me your speed with my apps!!" My SE 2020 did not disappoint. Facebook, Messenger, email, Youtube and other health care stuff apps are no sweat with the SE 2020 either and the integration between iOS and MacOS are fantastic. If I want to display my SE 2020 screen on a projector or in ZOOM, there's an app called Reflector 4 on the Mac that can do that.

To me, it's all about what am I going to use the phone for and since I don't play games with it other than the occasional simple games like Angry birds (I know it's old) and some coin-op stuff which really won't tax the SE's A13 Bionic chip all that much, I'm grateful that Apple still makes a simple home button phone like the SE 2nd generation.

So I have no regrets with the SE 2nd generation. Battery life, however, is better than my older SE 2016 which I had to rely on my Mophie battery pack (which integrates with the phone as a case) to give me a full whole day running my apps. My SE 2020 didn't need a battery pack and after the whole 8 hrs of work, I am left with roughly 40% battery power left with 6 full cycles. Not bad, but not that impressive compared to the iPhone 11 with a larger battery. I bought an external 5200mah battery pack which was on sale for like $20 which can help me in the interim to re-charge my iPhone SE 2nd gen to extend more days. I do plan to get one of those Qi wireless battery packs when they become more common in a smaller package like in the 5200mah range.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.