Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

coleblk

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 26, 2013
Hi everyone! I love the new iPhone SE and I find it the perfect size and attributes. I’ve had a bit of bad luck with a few different units, my first TWO came with both scratches on the aluminum body and the screen out of the box. Anyway, since having tried a number of SE phones, I’ve noticed that the display is very warm “pinky” tinted. Even with TrueTone turned off, they exhibit a very warm/pink hue depending on ambient light especially when riding in a car for example. Of course the first one I had with scratches had a nice cool color tone but that’s the only one I’ve seen. My older iPhone 8 and 8 Plus seemed to have a better color temperature in my options.

Unfortunately I am very picky when it comes to displays and recently also noticed that my current unit, albeit bright as can be- has the interlacing “flickery scan lines” phenomenon that was Prevalent with the iPhone 5 series. I was wondering if anyone else had similar bad luck as me with these phones, or has noted the very warm color temp? I want to try a 128 GB (RED) model so that will be my last shot. I really hope it’ll have a nice cool even display and no build issues, fingers crossed.

Also, I know about the color filter under display accessibility and it just isn’t the solution for me, it makes everything seem washed out and incorrectly represented. Interested in other SE owner’s experiences!

tt061282

macrumors 6502
Mar 18, 2018
Nevada
Hi everyone! I love the new iPhone SE and I find it the perfect size and attributes. I’ve had a bit of bad luck with a few different units, my first TWO came with both scratches on the aluminum body and the screen out of the box. Anyway, since having tried a number of SE phones, I’ve noticed that the display is very warm “pinky” tinted. Even with TrueTone turned off, they exhibit a very warm/pink hue depending on ambient light especially when riding in a car for example. Of course the first one I had with scratches had a nice cool color tone but that’s the only one I’ve seen. My older iPhone 8 and 8 Plus seemed to have a better color temperature in my options.

Unfortunately I am very picky when it comes to displays and recently also noticed that my current unit, albeit bright as can be- has the interlacing “flickery scan lines” phenomenon that was Prevalent with the iPhone 5 series. I was wondering if anyone else had similar bad luck as me with these phones, or has noted the very warm color temp? I want to try a 128 GB (RED) model so that will be my last shot. I really hope it’ll have a nice cool even display and no build issues, fingers crossed.

Also, I know about the color filter under display accessibility and it just isn’t the solution for me, it makes everything seem washed out and incorrectly represented. Interested in other SE owner’s experiences!

I had a display uniformity issue with the 64GB iPhone SE I had in black. I’m one that changed between phones rather often and the issue for me is seemingly on LCD displays.

The iPhone XS that i type this one seems to have a perfect display. While I have an 128GB iPhone SE in red that seems to have a dull display.

I kind of think it’s an issue that we all have to live with at this point, but trust me I completely understand what you’re saying.

Reactions: coleblk

freeagent

macrumors 6502a
Mar 9, 2020
It’s the same screen as the 7 and 8 is it not? I left the 7 for an xs max.. pretty decent upgrade..

Reactions: tt061282

tt061282

macrumors 6502
Mar 18, 2018
Nevada
It’s the same screen as the 7 and 8 is it not? I left the 7 for an xs max.. pretty decent upgrade..

Yeah, same screen from the 8 for sure. AFAIK the only thing that changed in the 8 from the 7 was True Tone... So it’s definitely the same one as the 8 not sure about the 7 since I’m not sure if True Tone is software or hardware.

ssledoux

macrumors 601
Sep 16, 2006
Down south
Zero issues with mine. I actually preferred it to the 11 pro when I compared them side by side with all the same settings. I found the 11 pro was more yellow-ish (warm I suppose), which I didn’t like as much. I don’t find my SE to have any pinkish coloring at all.

Reactions: coleblk

coleblk

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 26, 2013
Yeah, it is the same screen as the 8 from what I know. I think it’s just a lottery as always as Apple sources different manufacturers to make their LCD panels. I just hope I finally get a good one and/or live with it.

Reactions: Marlon DLTH :)
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.