Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Capeto

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 9, 2015
As the title says, I have an unlocked iPhone SE (2020) that I bought brand new directly from Apple.com and has been fully paid off. I use it as a backup phone for my personal line (T-Mobile), as well as occasionally for work (Verizon).

Last week, I put in my work's Verizon SIM card from my work-provided Android into my unlocked iPhone SE, and was unable to make any calls or connect to data. When I put that SIM card back into my work-provided Android, the SIM card wouldn't even activate service; I called Verizon and they basically treated my work phone number as not existing/being disconnected. I eventually had to go through my work's IT, who told me the line was disconnected due to "non-use", but it made me a little suspicious.

I checked my iPhone's IMEI through Swappa and it comes back as "Blocked"; similarly, when checking on T-Mobile's website, I get the following message:

This device is currently blocked from use on our network. Please contact the original wireless carrier for information about the device’s status.

(This phone was originally activated on T-Mobile)

For good measure, I checked on Verizon's website; I get a similar but briefer error: Unfortunately your device can't be activated on our network.

So my questions are:

1. Why was my phone's IMEI blocked, when the phone has been fully paid off? My suspicion is that putting my work's most recent Verizon SIM card triggered some sort of fraud prevention, as the line associated with the SIM card was immediately disconnected too.

2. How do I go about getting it unlocked?

3. How do I prevent this from happening in the future? Can a phone really have its IMEI blocked by putting a SIM in it?

MegaBlue

macrumors 6502
Sep 19, 2022
Tennessee, United States
1. Why was my phone's IMEI blocked, when the phone has been fully paid off? My suspicion is that putting my work's most recent Verizon SIM card triggered some sort of fraud prevention, as the line associated with the SIM card was immediately disconnected too.
Your suspicion is the correct answer here, mostly. Your Verizon SIM card is specifically tied to the IMEI of your work device. Your work line was locked when it was put into the new phone because of a mismatch from your account. Another example of this happening is that AT&T will lock your line if you have an active EIP and put your SIM into a phone that is not the one you’re paying on (they do not block any IMEIs, however).

2. How do I go about getting it unlocked?
Most likely you’ll have to call Verizon, explain the situation, and then they should be able to unblock the IMEI. They will probably ask you to submit proof that you purchased the phone and that it’s been paid off. The only people who can unblock an IMEI is the carrier/s it’s blocked on.

3. How do I prevent this from happening in the future? Can a phone really have its IMEI blocked by putting a SIM in it?
I wouldn’t put SIM cards of lines you’re not in control of in your personal devices, for starters. Business lines operate relatively differently than personal lines do amongst the carriers, but it’s also not a good idea to just be putting SIM cards in devices anyways unless you’re the account owner/manager. Putting a SIM card in a phone alone isn’t risking the IMEI being blocked, but putting a specifically provisioned business line SIM into one definitely could.

Capeto

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 9, 2015
Thank you @MegaBlue , I really appreciate the quick response and the thorough explanation! I’ll reach out to Verizon to get it unlocked.

• Love
Reactions: MegaBlue
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.