Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iBozz

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 19, 2004
NW UK
I've had the iPhone SE 2020 for a few weeks and it is my first smartphone so please bear with me. I also have a 2017 iMac involved in this query.

I use WhatsApp on my iMac because I find the iPhone keyboard a bit fiddly for arthritic fingers and use it as little as possible when at home.

To do so, my iPhone needs to be connected to the same wifi network as the iMac but I have noticed that the connection is frequently dropped possibly, although I have no incontrovertible proof, when the phone's Auto-Lock kicks in. if I set that to never, the connection seems to hold up for longer but adds drain to the battery, I presume.

How can i keep the phone connected to my home wifi network when within range?

Is there a toggle switch or other setting that I am overlooking, is it an iOS13.5.1 (17F80) and/or macOS 10.15.5 (19F101) bug or feature?

Can I somehow ensure that the iPhone's wifi doesn't keep dropping or am I missing the point entirely?

Any advice, bearing in mind that I am an iPhone and smartphone newcomer, would be very much appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

iPhone SE 2020 256GB & iMac 2017 27" 64GB 2TB.

Fred Zed

macrumors 603
Aug 15, 2019
Florida Unfortunately
I've had the iPhone SE 2020 for a few weeks and it is my first smartphone so please bear with me. I also have a 2017 iMac involved in this query.

I use WhatsApp on my iMac because I find the iPhone keyboard a bit fiddly for arthritic fingers and use it as little as possible when at home.

To do so, my iPhone needs to be connected to the same wifi network as the iMac but I have noticed that the connection is frequently dropped possibly, although I have no incontrovertible proof, when the phone's Auto-Lock kicks in. if I set that to never, the connection seems to hold up for longer but adds drain to the battery, I presume.

How can i keep the phone connected to my home wifi network when within range?

Is there a toggle switch or other setting that I am overlooking, is it an iOS13.5.1 (17F80) and/or macOS 10.15.5 (19F101) bug or feature?

Can I somehow ensure that the iPhone's wifi doesn't keep dropping or am I missing the point entirely?

Any advice, bearing in mind that I am an iPhone and smartphone newcomer, would be very much appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

iPhone SE 2020 256GB & iMac 2017 27" 64GB 2TB.

If you’re mirroring screen sharing the iPhone WhatsApp screen to your iMac then that is the issue. It’s a very inefficient method to use.
WhatsApp has the ability to be used on a pc and probably iMac . You don’t need to have the iPhone WhatsApp screen on basically using this method.

60620cae5030f15303ebdf92284f50dd.jpg

iBozz

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 19, 2004
NW UK
If you’re mirroring screen sharing the iPhone WhatsApp screen to your iMac then that is the issue. It’s a very inefficient method to use.
WhatsApp has the ability to be used on a pc and probably iMac . You don’t need to have the iPhone WhatsApp screen on basically using this method.

60620cae5030f15303ebdf92284f50dd.jpg

Thanks, I'm not mirroring and have WhatsApp installed on the iMac. However, to use the iMac version I need to have the iPhone connected to the same network and, if it isn't, WhatsApp on the iMac won't work in isolation.

My problem is that the phone keeps dropping the wifi connection when, it appears to my ignorant eye, the screen is [auto]locked. If I keep the phone unlocked via Settings > Display & Brightness > Auto-lock = never it seems to keep the connection but, of course, uses more battery even when dimmed down.

In my smartphone ignorance, i would have expected to be able to keep the wifi connected all the time (even as a User option) but would I be correct in assuming that dropping wifi when locked is an iOS feature? Or a bug? Or a fault with my handset?

Thanks for the response, Limeybastid.

Fred Zed

macrumors 603
Aug 15, 2019
Florida Unfortunately
Thanks, I'm not mirroring and have WhatsApp installed on the iMac. However, to use the iMac version I need to have the iPhone connected to the same network and, if it isn't, WhatsApp on the iMac won't work in isolation.

My problem is that the phone keeps dropping the wifi connection when, it appears to my ignorant eye, the screen is [auto]locked. If I keep the phone unlocked via Settings > Display & Brightness > Auto-lock = never it seems to keep the connection but, of course, uses more battery even when dimmed down.

In my smartphone ignorance, i would have expected to be able to keep the wifi connected all the time (even as a User option) but would I be correct in assuming that dropping wifi when locked is an iOS feature? Or a bug? Or a fault with my handset?

Thanks for the response, Limeybastid.

I’m new to iOS myself , last iPhone I had was back when iPhone 4s came out.

Have a look at the attached hopefully it might help you.

iBozz

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 19, 2004
NW UK
Thanks again, Limeybastid.

I am cautiously optimistic and have gone over 24 hours without an unplanned wifi drop and with no noticeable loss ofbattery % over and above that expected in normal use.

I have thus far only followed the first two suggested steps in your linked article, but I shall hold the others in reserve in case things worsen.

1) Forget and rejoin the network: No effect, the wifi still dropped when the phone locked.

2) Disable Wi-Fi networking service: This appears to have worked (fingers crossed) although I must confess that I have no idea what it has done behind the scenes - I flicked a toggle switch and nothing seems to have changed save the ability to stay logged on to my home network. Maybe, when I attempt to do something at some future point, this will come and bite me in the posterior, but thus far all seems sweetness and light and [if I remember] I'll know where to look first!

Thanks for the pointer to the solution, I am much obliged.

Last edited:

Fred Zed

macrumors 603
Aug 15, 2019
Florida Unfortunately
Thanks again, Limeybastid.

I am cautiously optimistic and have gone over 24 hours without an unplanned wifi drop and with no noticeable loss ofbattery % over and above that expected in normal use.

I have thus far only followed the first two suggested steps in your linked article, but I shall hold the others in reserve in case things worsen.

1) Forget and rejoin the network: No effect, the wifi still dropped when the phone locked.

2) Disable Wi-Fi networking service: This appears to have worked (fingers crossed) although I must confess that I have no idea what it has done behind the scenes - I flicked a toggle switch and nothing seems to have changed save the ability to stay logged on to my home network. Maybe, when I attempt to do something at some future point, this will come and bite me in the posterior, but thus far all seems sweetness and light and [if I remember] I'll know where to look first!

Thanks for the pointer to the solution, I am much obliged.

My pleasure. I’m learning as well.

Last edited:

512KRe

macrumors newbie
Jul 27, 2020
I have a brand new iphone SE and it’s terrible at seeing networks. I have an ipad next to it, which sees weaker networks, that don’t even appear on the iphone SE’s list of networks available. Terribly disappointed in this new phone. My old iphone 6 was much better at detecting wifi and cell networks.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.