Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

spellflower

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 7, 2005
I woke up this morning and discovered that my phone was dead. It had been on, and charging when I went to sleep. I tried holding down the power button for at least 30 seconds, but nothing happened. I tried holding the home button and the power button too, but that didn't do anything. The home button "clicks" like it does when it's on, which makes me wonder if it's really powered down, since the button doesn't give any haptic feedback when it really is off.

The power cable that I was charging with is a bit frayed, and I know I shouldn't be using it. I intended to just give it some juice before bed and then unplug it, but I forgot. Could this be related?

I'm now charging it with a better cable, but there are no signs of life on the screen, not even the dead battery graphic.

Any other suggestions? I have a Genius Bar appointment after work, but if I can avoid the trek to the store that would be great!

spellflower

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 7, 2005
Got a response on another forum, and it worked! Sharing it here in case anyone else comes across this:

Try: Press and quickly release the volume up button. Press and quickly release the volume down button. Press and hold the side button until you see the Apple logo - this takes around 10 seconds - check your hardware and charge your iPhone again

Reactions: MacPeasant123
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.