Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

oVerboost

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Sep 17, 2013
United Kingdom
Not seen a topic started yet, so let’s discuss...

Likely options:

Black, White & Product RED, 64/128/256GB storage

Screen protectors (page 4 of the online store section) and Apple Care information appear to have been updated to show the up-coming model release, as well as foreign phone carriers now listing the new iPhone and it's colour/storage options on their websites albeit without any actual pictures yet.

f64dcfe88b360f8aad42c29a8a3b9786.jpg

Last edited:

Dhonk

macrumors 6502
Mar 2, 2015
I still yearn for the rumors of the XE. I’m hoping the rumored small phone in Sept is true. I find my iPhone X a little big for my hands, especially since the heft of the iPhones starting with the X

oVerboost

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Sep 17, 2013
United Kingdom
Don’t get it looks like a 8, bezels, home button etc, who wants that?

Lots of people don’t care about or for a larger screen. Bezels give you somewhere to hold your phone, rather than balancing it in the edges.

Touch ID for many is preferred, over Face ID as it’s familiar for people of an older generation. Plus I can open my SE and 6S faster than I could my 11 Pro because by the time it’s out of my pocket I’ve already unlocked it and it’s ready to go, same with mobile payments in store.

oVerboost

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Sep 17, 2013
United Kingdom
Not with Corona virus impacting economy and retail operations practically nonexistent.

People order online probably more so than in store these days. And everyone still needs a reliable mobile phone, Apple adding an affordable one to their line up makes perfect sense especially if it’s bought via a carrier or paid for monthly, will be next to nothing compared to the other offerings.

bobsamm

Suspended
Oct 6, 2019
Lots of people don’t care about or for a larger screen. Bezels give you somewhere to hold your phone, rather than balancing it in the edges.

Touch ID for many is preferred, over Face ID as it’s familiar for people of an older generation. Plus I can open my SE and 6S faster than I could my 11 Pro because by the time it’s out of my pocket I’ve already unlocked it and it’s ready to go, same with mobile payments in store.

it’s a 8s though, not a se. the quick draw magraw argument has been done to death lol.

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
People order online probably more so than in store these days. And everyone still needs a reliable mobile phone, Apple adding an affordable one to their line up makes perfect sense especially if it’s bought via a carrier or paid for monthly, will be next to nothing compared to the other offerings.
Sure, people are buying online and this being $15-20/mo on device installment makes it a more attractive proposition compared to the rest of the iPhone line up. I'm personally gonna buy a couple to replace an original SE and iPhone 7 both with bad batteries.

However, I highly doubt it will sell as well as it would have in normal circumstances.

Reactions: compwiz1202

oVerboost

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Sep 17, 2013
United Kingdom
Offering the latest specs (apart from screen) in todays market that will soon see OnePlus release another large device and higher price makes great business sense. I don't think they'd have bothered otherwise.

This puts it at the same price point as the Google Pixel "A" models, and if it has the 11 main camera lens and software, for many the Pixel won't seem like the obvious choice.

We shall see, but I welcome the fact that Apple is giving it's customers the most choice.

Last edited:

Burebista

macrumors regular
Oct 8, 2019
Very stocked for the upcoming reveal.

However, the market is already different from just a few weeks ago. I’m seeing an influx of 11’s and especially 11 Pro’s at the local secondary market lately (not US), and the prices on those listings are getting lower and lower. Who knows how it will look like a month or two from now?

Might be that this new SE won’t look as appealing in its low-cost role when 11 Pro’s will be appearing in droves for not much more.

oVerboost

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Sep 17, 2013
United Kingdom
Very stocked for the upcoming reveal.

However, the market is already different from just a few weeks ago. I’m seeing an influx of 11’s and especially 11 Pro’s at the local secondary market lately (not US), and the prices on those listings are getting lower and lower. Who knows how it will look like a month or two from now?

Might be that this new SE won’t look as appealing in its low-cost role when 11 Pro’s will be appearing in droves for not much more.

In the UK the Pro models are still fetching strong money, and people aren’t largely interested in second hand tech. It’s risky in many peoples eyes, especially if the phone is subject to being under contract and still being paid for as it can still easily be locked by the carrier.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
I predict that it will sell very well.

Short term, no (You have to think about the economic conditions currently). Long term, yes. With the pandemic, the tech market is suffering as it is right now, and consumers probably aren’t really looking to purchase an iPhone at this point.

However, I also say it depends on how Apple markets this new iPhone SE, because the majority of consumers have no idea that this phone is even coming, aside from tech enthusiasts like myself on sites like this.

Reactions: oVerboost and MarkX

snipr125

macrumors 68000
Oct 17, 2015
UK
The Iphone 9/SE2 will effectively be the fastest phone in the world right now for just £399 (A13 chip rendering a relatively small 4.7 inch screen). If it was not for the current pandemic this would sell in the tens of millions.

Last edited:

glambutnerdy

macrumors regular
Apr 2, 2020
the clouds
I’d be very underwhelmed if it only came in white, black, red. That’s not even the amount of colours the 8 had (they also had gold)

And maybe this is overly wishful thinking but I’d at least like a few colour options from the 11, the last SE had all the same colours as the flagship at the time (6s)

Reactions: MarioPhone96

oVerboost

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Sep 17, 2013
United Kingdom
I’d be very underwhelmed if it only came in white, black, red. That’s not even the amount of colours the 8 had (they also had gold)

And maybe this is overly wishful thinking but I’d at least like a few colour options from the 11, the last SE had all the same colours as the flagship at the time (6s)

It’s a budget device that most will stick in a case.

The 8 was available, and currently still is, available in space grey, silver and gold. So it’s the same amount of options. There may be other colours added to refresh the line up as time goes on, but at launch I don’t think you’ll see the vast array of colour options you want.

glambutnerdy

macrumors regular
Apr 2, 2020
the clouds
It’s a budget device that most will stick in a case.

The 8 was available, and currently still is, available in space grey, silver and gold. So it’s the same amount of options. There may be other colours added to refresh the line up as time goes on, but at launch I don’t think you’ll see the vast array of colour options you want.

Am I mistaken or was the 8 also available in product red at some point?

and I’d understand not adding in every single 11 colour option to a budget phone, that is ridiculous, but it would be nice to have a fun colour option the 8 doesn’t have. Similar to the last SE having the rose gold the 5s didn’t have.

Reactions: MarioPhone96

mag33

macrumors 6502
Sep 6, 2019

I would have loved purple, the same that is on 11

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.