Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dstow

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 20, 2021
I recently picked up SE 2022 on launch day and since then I've counted 4 completely random hard lock ups and restarts

The phone stops responding, screen goes blank, home button stops responding and the phone subsequently restarts.

I'm hoping it's not hardware related, I restored from my original SE 2020 backup, so possibly that might be causing some aberrant behaviour but unlikely

Has anyone had this issue with the new SE 2022? :(

jntdroid

macrumors 6502a
Oct 12, 2011
I recently picked up SE 2022 on launch day and since then I've counted 4 completely random hard lock ups and restarts

The phone stops responding, screen goes blank, home button stops responding and the phone subsequently restarts.

I'm hoping it's not hardware related, I restored from my original SE 2020 backup, so possibly that might be causing some aberrant behaviour but unlikely

Nope - I've had two SE 2022's (long story, not an issue with the device), both with my restored backups without any issues at all.

NeonIbis

macrumors regular
Sep 8, 2020
Me neither - I have the SE2022, with everything copied over from my SE2020, which had everything copied over from my SE2016. No problems at all.

iSepp

macrumors member
Sep 24, 2021
DFU Reset with iCloud Backup restore seems to fix it for me. Don’t know what happened. Started to freeze on CarPlay. Then worked for some hours. Suddenly restarted here and there and finally ended in a reboot loop.

dstow

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 20, 2021
I would file it under a software bug, but it's happened on both iOS 15.4 and 15.4.1 - haven't had any previous iPhone I've owned from new do this

dstow

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 20, 2021
Nope, nothing intensive - just on the home screen, or in iMessage - no hot enviroments

dstow

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 20, 2021
Update: I've downloaded iDevice panic log analyser and it shows 4 Kernel Panic events - one on the very day I bought the phone a mere few hours later after light use.

Interestingly they all are the same error:

"panic(cpu 1 caller 0xfffffff02ab09218): DCP PANIC - poll reg timeout - iomfb_ap_callee_2(20) OUTBOX not ready
poll reg timeout"

Could this be indicative of a logic board fault?

englandsonlim

macrumors newbie
Apr 10, 2022
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Same exact panic event happened to my iPhone SE 2022 too
But Mine has additional problem:
Double tap home button sometimes failed to trigger Reachability, my finger need to cover the entire touchID sensor for it to work, but restarting solves this problem temporarily, as it happens again few hours later.

Additional info, I’ve used iCarefone to transfer my whatsapp chat from my previous android phone to this one, might it be the problem? I haven’t factory reset my iPhone yet

dstow

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 20, 2021
Interesting how it's the exact same error (would be nice to know exactly what it related to)

Did the phone crash and restart in the same manner I have described? & how many of the same panics have you had just the one?

Last edited:

englandsonlim

macrumors newbie
Apr 10, 2022
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Interesting how it's the exact same error (would be nice to know exactly what it related to)

Did the phone crash and restart in the same manner I have described? & how many of the same panics have you had just the one?
Yes it happens in the same way as you described. It happens randomly within 1 or 2 days, I think it happened more than 10 times. I realize my home button stops working and then I see the Apple logo. Is factory reset the final resort? Or we can see the issue being resolved in the next ios update?

dstow

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 20, 2021
Update: I've just had another restart before - that's 5 now in total. Definitely a hardware fault

dstow

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 20, 2021
I'm going to have to take my chances at the Apple Store and see what they can do in regards to returning it despite me being over the 14 days as there's a hardware fault. I'm going back to the iPhone 11, totally put off by the SE 2022

NeonIbis

macrumors regular
Sep 8, 2020
I'm going to have to take my chances at the Apple Store and see what they can do in regards to returning it despite me being over the 14 days as there's a hardware fault. I'm going back to the iPhone 11, totally put off by the SE 2022
How frustrating, sorry to hear it. I haven't had any trouble with my 2022 SE.

MikeX

macrumors regular
Oct 27, 2016
i have the same issue on iphone 11 max pro. i don't think your 2022 se is the problem.

panta

macrumors newbie
Apr 13, 2022
Hi there, have been having the exact same issues with two 2022 SE's in a row now...

First one got swapped at the Apple Store, and the new one has just started doing it as well.

They both shut down and in the log there's a panic-full entry:

"DCP PANIC - poll reg timeout - iomfb_ap_callee_3(21) OUTBOX not ready\npoll reg timeout"

Exact same situation as the OP.

The first one I set up as new, and the replacement unit was restored from a back-up.

Just booked another Genius appointment but not sure how to proceed as this doesn't seem to be an isolated incident...

Taz Mangus

macrumors 604
Mar 10, 2011
Thanks so much for posting this, Taz. I was not aware that the problem was so widespread.

Unfortunately, a restore wasn't able fix this for me on either phone.
It is a software issue and Apple will have a fix for it pretty quick, considering it is a new phone. I think the issue that is happening is with the IPC communications that happens between the co-processors.

Last edited:

dstow

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 20, 2021
It is a software issue and Apple will have a fix for it pretty quick, considering it is a new phone. I think the issue that is happening is with the IPC communications that happens between the co-processors.

This is fascinating, the fact others have reported the exact same kernel panic log suggests it must be a software bug and not just unfortunate luck with a dodgy handset.

As others have stated this has happened on iOS 15.4 and 15.4.1 it seems odd that this bug is only affecting the SE which shares the A15 with the iPhone 13 series which don't seem to be affected.

Problem is, how long will Apple take to fix this, or even acknowledge it. I'm afraid the Apple store will try and palm me off with a replacement handset which is now futile given it's software.

What exactly am I looking at on that link Taz?

Taz Mangus

macrumors 604
Mar 10, 2011
This is fascinating, the fact others have reported the exact same kernel panic log suggests it must be a software bug and not just unfortunate luck with a dodgy handset.

As others have stated this has happened on iOS 15.4 and 15.4.1 it seems odd that this bug is only affecting the SE which shares the A15 with the iPhone 13 series which don't seem to be affected.

Problem is, how long will Apple take to fix this, or even acknowledge it. I'm afraid the Apple store will try and palm me off with a replacement handset which is now futile given it's software.

What exactly am I looking at on that link Taz?
The kernel panic references OUTBOX which is a messaging mailbox. In the link:
Apple SoCs such as the M1 come with multiple embedded co-processors running proprietary firmware. Communication with those is established over a simple mailbox using the RTKit IPC protocol.

panta

macrumors newbie
Apr 13, 2022

Well, software issue would definitely be preferable to hardware issue... Still not sure how to handle this at the Apple Store tomorrow though... It seems pointless to swap it out once more to just have the same thing happen again.

Reactions: Taz Mangus
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.