Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Keukasmallie

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 30, 2011
WNY
Bought the iPhone SE in February, 2023, battery life seemed fine for about four months. Suddenly the battery would only last eight hours from 100% to 30% with NO phone calls, NO great texting, little actual use at all. I've followed the advice of YouTubers regarding how to improve battery life by changing settings, and checked Battery in System Settings, found apps that were using more battery time and deleted them...all to no avail.

Suggestions, please!

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
Something that seems to have worked for me in the past is that once it goes "into the red", double-click Home and manually close every app. Once you've done that, shut down the phone. Next, plug it into the charger (it'll automatically turn back on) and let it charge uninterrupted all the way back up to 100%.

Reactions: Keukasmallie

Keukasmallie

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 30, 2011
WNY
Nermal, thanks for the reply and the suggestion. I'm happily running my battery to red, which should take another hour or two from the 100% at 5:30 this AM. Then I'll follow your directions and hope for the best.

Thanks!!

Keukasmallie

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 30, 2011
WNY
Nermal, followed the procedure: At 2:23 this PM iPhone was taken off charger at 100%; at 9:22 PM it was in the red at 20%. No joy. I think I'll try to get a Genius bar app't when I get home, I believe my battery is bad.

Keukasmallie

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 30, 2011
WNY
WHOA! Apple sent out ios16.6 last evening. Today, my iPhone SE that was bleeding battery power will hardly move off 100%!! Not sure if 16.6 is the cure, but something good happened. From 7:00 AM when I unplugged my phone to the present time (5:27 PM) my phone battery %age has gone from 100% to 98%.

Whoooot!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.