Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dmtworld

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 27, 2012
Hello.

I have an iPhone SE 2nd generation from 2020 and it's still running iOS 13.5.1
this is mainly due to the fact I didn't want to risk the absurd battery drain each OS update bring on.

But now I'm really considering upgrading to iOS 14.8 (18H17), but I'd like to know if anyone with iPhone SE 2nd gen would recommend it?

BugeyeSTI

macrumors 604
Aug 19, 2017
Arizona/Illinois
I had some battery drain on my Air2 and X after updating but I restored both using iTunes and then used my backup and everything is fine now.. Not sure if that helps you in any way with your decision...

Reactions: dmtworld

Hopyrupa

macrumors newbie
Jul 2, 2017
I bought iPhone SE2, a few weeks ago. I love it. It came with iOS 14.3, now running 14.8. Coming from an old phone, the Battery life is great. 5-6 hours active internet use including YouTube, seems great to me. But when you update you will get iOS 15 now, if I’m not mistaken.

My advice is go with the iOS 15. When you run the newest iOS, you are getting important security updates that iOS 13 does not have. Battery life is going to be the same or better, imo. Also iOS 14 and 15 have great features like Picture in Picture YouTube video and widget updates.

To get longer Battery life: run your screen at lower brightness, close (don’t delete) all the apps you are not using. People just leave 30 apps open all the time. It’s a huge battery drain. Turn off location services if possible, and run low battery mode. Use WiFi whenever possible and turn off WiFi assist. There are many other steps you can take in the settings. Look up iPhone battery saving tricks on YouTube. You will double your battery life.

Last edited:
Reactions: dmtworld

dmtworld

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 27, 2012
I bought iPhone SE2, a few weeks ago. I love it. It came with iOS 14.3, now running 14.8. Coming from an old phone, the Battery life is great. 5-6 hours active internet use including YouTube, seems great to me. But when you update you will get iOS 15 now, if I’m not mistaken.

My advice is go with the iOS 15. When you run the newest iOS, you are getting important security updates that iOS 13 does not have. Battery life is going to be the same or better, imo. Also iOS 14 and 15 have great features like Picture in Picture YouTube video and widget updates.

To get longer Battery life: run your screen at lower brightness, close (don’t delete) all the apps you are not using. People just leave 30 apps open all the time. It’s a huge battery drain. Turn off location services if possible, and run low battery mode. Use WiFi whenever possible and turn off WiFi assist. There are many other steps you can take in the settings. Look up iPhone battery saving tricks on YouTube. You will double your battery life.

Hi Thanks. Oh yes, I'm always running my phone on low battery with the lowest brightness :p
Regarding the update 15 it seems I actually can select a previous version of an iOS via iTunes. a site called getios dot com it has all ios listed. I'll report back if it works.

UPDATE:

It worked, i used ipsw dot me instead since getios didn't offer 14.8.
You'll just have to download the ipsw file
  1. Connect your device to a PC running iTunes and navigate to the device page.
  2. Hold down the 'Shift' key on your keyboard and click the 'Check for Update' button. Select the ipsw file and iTunes will install this version.

Last edited:
Reactions: Hopyrupa

dmtworld

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 27, 2012
I had some battery drain on my Air2 and X after updating but I restored both using iTunes and then used my backup and everything is fine now.. Not sure if that helps you in any way with your decision...
I will give it a go thank you!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.