Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Flopstar

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 17, 2017
Checking Coconut Battery, my SE is said to have 97.5% charge capacity after only 19 cycles. It was slightly lower than this at around 13 cycles, and frequently goes up to 98%. I know I'm being obsessive but this is normal for a battery right? As long as it doesn't drain to like 90% in 2 months, I think I'll be fine. Just wanted to see what MacRumors thought about it.

joeblow7777

macrumors 604
Sep 7, 2010
Listen to me very carefully...

DO NOT worry about battery cycles and wear so soon. At best, the wear is an estimate, especially this early in the battery’s life. Don’t start worrying about it until you start to observe a notable difference in battery performance, which realistically, won’t be in the first year.

You will never be content with your phone if you are a battery hypochondriac.

estabya

macrumors 6502a
Jun 28, 2014
Coconut battery said my 7+ was at 97% after a month, still 98% at 2 months, and now at ~6 months it’s 97%. I wouldn’t worry about it too much; like jowblow said, it is just an estimate.

Reactions: willmtaylor

BigMcGuire

Cancelled
Jan 10, 2012
Don't worry bout it :).

My 6+ was 103% design capacity (coconutBattery) when I bought it. After 240+ cycles it was at 99% when I sold it to Apple.

My 6s+, when I purchased it in May 2016, was 96% with 0 cycles! This bummed me out, but, after almost 1.7 years of ownership, the battery is still 93-95% with 220+ cycles and lasts as long as ever.

These posters are 100% right. Only check a few times a month, for fun only. Your battery design capacity should only be checked at true 100% charge - it can have a 3-5% error of margin. Apple will not do anything unless the battery is under 80% design capacity. So just use it and enjoy it.

Wear is NOT linear - as my 6s+ started with 96% and it hasn't changed much.

Best thing I ever did to enjoy my phone? Turn off battery % and just use it. :)

Flopstar

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 17, 2017
Listen to me very carefully...

DO NOT worry about battery cycles and wear so soon. At best, the wear is an estimate, especially this early in the battery’s life. Don’t start worrying about it until you start to observe a notable difference in battery performance, which realistically, won’t be in the first year.

You will never be content with your phone if you are a battery hypochondriac.

Yeah I know I'm a freak lol :p. I was just wondering just in case. I haven't really tracked charge cycles on an iPhone before.

Don't worry bout it :).

My 6+ was 103% design capacity (coconutBattery) when I bought it. After 240+ cycles it was at 99% when I sold it to Apple.

My 6s+, when I purchased it in May 2016, was 96% with 0 cycles! This bummed me out, but, after almost 1.7 years of ownership, the battery is still 93-95% with 220+ cycles and lasts as long as ever.

These posters are 100% right. Only check a few times a month, for fun only. Your battery design capacity should only be checked at true 100% charge - it can have a 3-5% error of margin. Apple will not do anything unless the battery is under 80% design capacity. So just use it and enjoy it.

Wear is NOT linear - as my 6s+ started with 96% and it hasn't changed much.

Best thing I ever did to enjoy my phone? Turn off battery % and just use it. :)

Thanks! I should stop worrying about my phone and use it lol.

Reactions: BigMcGuire

Mlrollin91

macrumors G5
Nov 20, 2008
Use iBackupBot
iBackupBot is an estimate at best. Coconut actually reads the real time battery stats. iBackupBot rounds to the nearest 100mAh.
[doublepost=1506016845][/doublepost]
Yeah I know I'm a freak lol :p. I was just wondering just in case. I haven't really tracked charge cycles on an iPhone before.

As long as your battery is above 80% health after 500 cycles, you're battery is perfectly fine.

BigMcGuire

Cancelled
Jan 10, 2012

A freak?! No way :) Just means you care about your phone and you want whats best for it. That's a good thing! I've spent countless hours reading about batteries and how to care for them. Batteries are a huge hobby of mine. I've got 4 external Anker batteries (Li-ION) and I've read several books about batteries (one by the guy who maintains http://batteryuniversity.com/). :) http://batteryuniversity.com/buy

Batteries absolutely hate heat - don't leave your phone in a hot car. Try to keep your phone above 20% if you can (more stress at 0%).

Most of all, enjoy the phone. The battery will easily last 2-3 years with normal usage. My wife doesn't care about her battery at all - regularly drops it to 0% till it shuts off. Her battery life is within 2-3% of mine after 2 years and I baby my battery. :p

Flopstar

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 17, 2017
A freak?! No way :) Just means you care about your phone and you want whats best for it. That's a good thing! I've spent countless hours reading about batteries and how to care for them. Batteries are a huge hobby of mine. I've got 4 external Anker batteries (Li-ION) and I've read several books about batteries (one by the guy who maintains http://batteryuniversity.com/). :) http://batteryuniversity.com/buy

Batteries absolutely hate heat - don't leave your phone in a hot car. Try to keep your phone above 20% if you can (more stress at 0%).

Most of all, enjoy the phone. The battery will easily last 2-3 years with normal usage. My wife doesn't care about her battery at all - regularly drops it to 0% till it shuts off. Her battery life is within 2-3% of mine after 2 years and I baby my battery. :p

I was reading up about the 20% thing and was pretty mad, because I love to drain my phone to like 1% and see the standby time and usage time I got out of only one charge. But I've trusted science - and switched to the method of topping it off whenever I can :). I think it will probably help me enjoy the phone more too actually!

Mlrollin91

macrumors G5
Nov 20, 2008
I was reading up about the 20% thing and was pretty mad, because I love to drain my phone to like 1% and see the standby time and usage time I got out of only one charge. But I've trusted science - and switched to the method of topping it off whenever I can :). I think it will probably help me enjoy the phone more too actually!
Well, not to disappoint you, you shouldn't keep it at 100% either. Batteries need to be used and the sweet spot is 20-80%. Overcharging is just as bad and dropping below 10% and letting it die.

Flopstar

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 17, 2017
Well, not to disappoint you, you shouldn't keep it at 100% either. Batteries need to be used and the sweet spot is 20-80%. Overcharging is just as bad and dropping below 10% and letting it die.

I read up on this too, but I don't plan to actually top it off all the way every time I charge it (sorry if my first post was unclear). I'll probably go from 20/40% to 60/80% most of the time. Only if I'm going on a long road trip or something I'll probably go the extra way just to ensure I'll always have a charge. But my usual lifestyle doesn't really put stress on charging the battery anyway, so that's good.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.