Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Johnny365

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 30, 2015
QrwJNGD.jpg

Smallest "current" iPhone, Apple Watch 4, and the smallest iPad is a nice combination!

iPhone 11 what? It ain't got nothing on the SE + Apple Watch 4 LTE + Mini 5 LTE combo. Anyone in this same camp too?!

I can pack it in my bag and not worry about them taking up a huge amount of space. I can even leave my SE at home, just bring my Watch and Mini 5 and still receive calls, etc.

Jimbo Limbo

macrumors regular
Aug 13, 2015
Toronto
I am using iPad mini 4 LTE right now, and am looking for a good deal on an AW 4 LTE. I have a hand me down iPhone se from my daughter ready to pair with the watch. I also really enjoy using the iPad mini! It is super awesome to hold and type and play games on.

It would be even nicer if you did not need to pair with a phone and could just use your iPad.

For phone calls, I use freetone, now called textme. Free calls, free sms, free voice messaging, free long distance. An ad pops up after calls. X out to clear it.

Right now, I do not have a SIM card in my phone, but occasionally transfer it to the iPhone se when biking,or hiking. Would rather use Apple Watch LTE.

gnomeisland

macrumors 65816
Jul 30, 2008
New York, NY
I caved and went a little bigger, 11" Pro LTE, XS, and S3 LTE. But I appreciate the sentiment. I would have picked up an updated SE in a heartbeat. The watch and the iPad are my primary devices the phone is just this bridge device Apple keeps insisting I keep.

AutomaticApple

Suspended
Nov 28, 2018
Massachusetts
QrwJNGD.jpg

Smallest "current" iPhone, Apple Watch 4, and the smallest iPad is a nice combination!

iPhone 11 what? It ain't got nothing on the SE + Apple Watch 4 LTE + Mini 5 LTE combo. Anyone in this same camp too?!

I can pack it in my bag and not worry about them taking up a huge amount of space. I can even leave my SE at home, just bring my Watch and Mini 5 and still receive calls, etc.
I wish I had a combo like that...

MyopicPaideia

macrumors 68020
Mar 19, 2011
Sweden
Currently on an SE an iPad mini 4 and a series 0 (read original) AW. Within the month though, it will be an iPhone 11 something or other and a 12.9” iPad Pro (company providing, so can’t complain, really). Otherwise would have loved to stay small, and wish there were small screen equivalents to choose from...my post history shows my penchant for the smaller devices (they are somehow just more magical!).

Reactions: MrAperture

ACG12

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2015
Rocking an iPhone 7, AW3 and 10.5 Pro. I see no reason to upgrade to be quite honest. With Apple just releasing the 2019 iPod touch and 10.2 iPad with A10 chips, my phone and tablet should still have plenty of years of support.

Reactions: B.A.T

subjonas

macrumors 603
Feb 10, 2014
I have pretty much the same setup, but on top of that I have bigger devices—12.9” ipp and 15” mbp—for more serious productivity and work. This is a great combination for me as it covers all my needs with the least amount of redundancy as possible. I don’t have much interest in Apple’s medium-size devices, which are probably the best-sellers. This is unfortunate for me in the case of iphones, because Apple no longer makes one in a size I’m interested in.

I use my devices a little differently from you though. I don’t have much reason to bring my mini out of the house, since I prefer to either keep it extremely light with only my se and aw (aw is basically only for notifications since I like to keep my phone always on silent), or if I know I’ll need to do some work on the go, I’ll bring along my bag with either my 12.9” ipp or 15” mbp depending on the type of work I need to do (usually it’s the ipp, thankfully). I prefer to do all my consumption only at home, so there my se and aw sit charging, and my mini takes over for phone duties plus all non-video consumption. Movies and shows I watch only on my tv.

Johnny365

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 30, 2015
Yeah I have my older iPad Pro 10.5 on standby in case I need a larger screen or want to experience better audio but right now, it is turned off.

I also have a 2014 MBA, but don’t use it, instead using a 2014 era Thinkpad I got really cheap for the Windows side of things.

This is my first iPad with LTE and its definitely come in handy when the power went out for a couple hours and just watched some shows using data.

okieoutwest

macrumors regular
Sep 14, 2019
I just 'upgraded' to an iPhone SE from an iPhone 6 in order to get iOS 13, which I needed to be able to keep my AW 4 updated! I wasn't sure about moving back to the 5/SE form factor... but my goal is to leave the house a majority of the time wearing just the AW and carrying some Airpods, so it does the job!

When they released the new mini 5 I bought one but couldn't find a use for it on a regular basis. I'm thinking of switching up to an iPad Pro soon to supplement or maybe replace my desktop workflow, and so my eventual line up might be SE + AW4 + iPP. If they ever make the AW standalone, I'll leave behind the phone in a heartbeat.

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
I use my iPad mini 5 most of the time. In fact, I have two of them that get a lot of use. I have a Max and switched down to my SE, since I don’t need a big phone anymore. I take my cellular mini with me most of the time. It is much better to use, than staring and typing on a Max. I also use a S3 watch. The SE will fit in the pocket much easier.

Reactions: Jimbo Limbo

cics

macrumors regular
Dec 6, 2016
Milano
AW (and airpods)+iPad (mini or pro) would be the perfect setup once the Apple Watch becomes truly standalone in my opinion.

Reactions: B.A.T
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.