Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

CatherineVeraGat

Suspended
Original poster
May 6, 2017
I recently got my iPhone SE 32GB from BestBuy. The carrier is AT&T and it's a GoPhone.

I'm having an issue with the battery life. It is not lasting through the day. So I would have to recharge my phone at some point during the day.

But when I recharge my phone, it charged quickly. Especially when I plug in my phone at or below 15%. I don't know how fast it at any percentage above 15%. Most of the time I only charge my phone when the battery is extremely low. I use the charger and the lighting cable that came in the box.

I have looked at what have been eating my battery life. At first, almost everything in the battery menu was running in the background. After I change the settings, their's no more apps running in the background. Then I change what apps can use my location. My battery life has gotten better but it can do better in other areas like when watching videos or listening to Spotify and browsing the web at the same time. And I have turn on Low Power mode and I have checked if their's an iOS update almost everyday. My iPhone is on the latest version of iOS.

I think my expectations for my battery life is a little too high. On Apple's website they say that the iPhone SE can last up to 14 hours. I have to charge my phone around the 8 or 9 hour mark. Mostly at the 8-ish mark. Sometimes around the 7 hour mark. Since the iPhone SE has fewer pixels, smaller screen size, a not as powerful processor that is found in the iPhone 7 and iPhone 7 Plus. I would think that the battery would last longer than the iPhone 7, and the iPhone SE has a slightly bigger battery capacity than the iPhone 5S that can lasts up to 8 hours.

iPhone 5S: 1560 mAh 8 hours
iPhone 6: 1810 mAh 14 hours
iPhone SE: 1624 mAh 24 hours
iPhone 7: 1960 mAh 14 hours
iPhone 7 Plus: 2900 mAh 21 hours

On Apple's website it says Up to 2 hours longer battery life than iPhone 6s for the iPhone 7 and Up to 1 hour longer battery life than iPhone 6s Plus for the iPhone 7 Plus.

Then I have this circle spinning around on the top left corner of the screen. Which is their all the time. (Pictured below)

71c01f6b51d279d90cdfa1f543a49ca3.png

What can I do to get better battery life? Is my expectations a little high for how much battery life that I want? Why do have I have that spinning circle? Below are some screenshots of my battery in settings.

Last 24 hours
cd5a9055e5fc776ace9445ea37483e42.png
e275e5ecc6d074c3ad97b61c3b5aae1e.png

Last 4 days
c8bf0d8dc1d683c946facef58c9ac1f7.png
09ff74b25c6dc8585c80e91b0abb4efd.png
39618d7a1e5ff66161d4be2eccd8b45c.png

Last edited:

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
Do you have a question there somewhere? It's not obvious from your screen shots.

You do have "Low power mode" turned on (despite having 41% battery left) which will affect graphics, and the speed of some apps.
You can turn low power mode off in your Settings/Battery pane.
Your iPhone will give you the opportunity to use Low Power mode when battery drops below 20%.
It would automatically turn back off when you next charge above 20% - which will give you significantly better performance from your phone.

Mlrollin91

macrumors G5
Nov 20, 2008
Thank you for the beautiful screenshots!
You have a lot of background usage going on there. So nothing really you can do besides limit the background activity of your device to prolong battery life. Even though Apple states "up to 14 hours", thats in perfect testing conditions. I believe that also has all background activity disabled, perfect cellular signal strength and so on. Apple themselves state that anything over 5 hours of battery usage is normal. So you are better than normal as you are at 5.5 hours with 29% to go.

Reactions: BigMcGuire
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.