Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ronniejoe

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 23, 2020
I bought a brand new iphone SE about 3.5 years ago from apple. I believe around 2 years later, my battery was wearing out fast. They had that $29 promotion at Apple where you can replace your battery for that price and I did it. Im pretty sure this was around late 2018. Now 1.5 years later, my battery seems to drain a lot faster. It shows 90% now as the wearout. It use to be 100% when new, then went down etc to 90%. I think when i did my first battery replacement, it was worn at high 80% etc. So right now is the only option go to iphone store and have them buy and replace the battery?

The only way to get the authentic battery is buying it at the apple store right? But do they charge the same money whether you buy it and install it yourself or just buy it? Also last time when i did that $29 battery replacement, i recalled i left my phone with them and came back 1 hour plus later to get it. Is it the same right now since im paying the regular price? What is price to pay for the iphone se battery replacement now?

oVerboost

macrumors 68000
Sep 17, 2013
United Kingdom
Apple won’t sell you the battery to fit yourself.

You can buy genuine ones I believe from places like iFixIt if your in the US.

If not, and your wanting to use the phone, it’s worth getting Apple to fit one. Any damage to the Touch ID or display when they replace the battery will mean you get an as new refund model, any damage with a DIY repair is tough luck.

If you do want to go down the DIY route then I’d suggest finding a supplier with a good reputation and high feedback or reviews.

EDH667

macrumors 65816
Nov 25, 2009
Northern California
I bought a brand new iphone SE about 3.5 years ago from apple. I believe around 2 years later, my battery was wearing out fast. They had that $29 promotion at Apple where you can replace your battery for that price and I did it. Im pretty sure this was around late 2018. Now 1.5 years later, my battery seems to drain a lot faster. It shows 90% now as the wearout. It use to be 100% when new, then went down etc to 90%. I think when i did my first battery replacement, it was worn at high 80% etc. So right now is the only option go to iphone store and have them buy and replace the battery?

The only way to get the authentic battery is buying it at the apple store right? But do they charge the same money whether you buy it and install it yourself or just buy it? Also last time when i did that $29 battery replacement, i recalled i left my phone with them and came back 1 hour plus later to get it. Is it the same right now since im paying the regular price? What is price to pay for the iphone se battery replacement now?

I don't believe Apple will sell you just the battery. Yes, it usually takes about an hour for the Apple Store to replace the battery if they have it in stock. The cost for the iPhone SE battery replacement is $49.00.

Battery.jpg

ronniejoe

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 23, 2020
Hi thanks for response. So basically the process would be meet a rep there and give them my phone, come back in an hour right? Would it be similar process like when i went for a replacement for that 29 dollar battery replacement a while back?

Okay so the only option besides that is buy it at ifixit for 29.99. But is process easy to do? I never did anything like this before. Now would you say it would be stupid if i buy the battery off ifixit... then bring it to a local phone repair shop to install the battery? Because that way, i don't have to wait that long? How long does it take really for the technician at apple to take out old battery and put in new one?

I ask this because i dont want to give my phone to a stranger even if they are working for apple etc. But as long as my iphone is locked with a passcode that is fine right? Last time i put a passcode on it when left it at apple for that 29 dollar apple battery replacement.

EDH667

macrumors 65816
Nov 25, 2009
Northern California
Hi thanks for response. So basically the process would be meet a rep there and give them my phone, come back in an hour right? Would it be similar process like when i went for a replacement for that 29 dollar battery replacement a while back?

Okay so the only option besides that is buy it at ifixit for 29.99. But is process easy to do? I never did anything like this before. Now would you say it would be stupid if i buy the battery off ifixit... then bring it to a local phone repair shop to install the battery? Because that way, i don't have to wait that long? How long does it take really for the technician at apple to take out old battery and put in new one?

I ask this because i dont want to give my phone to a stranger even if they are working for apple etc. But as long as my iphone is locked with a passcode that is fine right? Last time i put a passcode on it when left it at apple for that 29 dollar apple battery replacement.
I would recommend to have Apple do the battery replacement. Look at YouTube videos and you will see it is not a very easy process and you can damage the phone very easily. Apple has always asked me to remove the passcode when leaving a phone for service or battery replacement. If you are concerned about your data, you can back it up and have the phone erased when you present it the Apple Genius. They will need to have the passcode removed so they can run diagnostics.

BugeyeSTI

macrumors 604
Aug 19, 2017
Arizona/Illinois

A battery replacement at an Apple store is exactly the same as the first time you did it, nothing has changed in the process except the price went up to $49... ifixit batteries are not Apple genuine parts, they are high quality 3rd party parts built to the same specs. I have used them before and they perform well with no issues. IMO having Apple replace the battery takes care of any problems that could arise during the installation and if something breaks or doesn't work properly, a replacement phone will be issued..

Aceroller

macrumors 6502
Sep 29, 2015
I would have Apple do it. I did one myself for an SE and ended up ripping the cable for the home button. It’s not as easy as say the iPhone 6S. Well worth having Apple do it for $49.

Reactions: MartyvH

ronniejoe

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 23, 2020
Okay so im planning to go to apple store to get new battery replacement. How much is the cost right now to do it? Is it still same like the person few posts above mentioned? Also... is it you leave it with them for an hour and then come back? Years ago i remember i did that... is that how it is now?

Now... if i do the passcode and it wipes it after ten attempts... then it should be fine right? I don't want to backup the phone and wipe it... just to go to apple store and have the battery replaced.

So you recommend before i go to apple store... obviously put the ten failed passcode attempts and iphone automatically erase. But would you say its necessary for me to sign out of my gmail/yahoo as well? Since whatever email you use on iphone is auto signed in right? I know when i click on mail, i can check all yahoo and gmail emails etc. So is that precaution good enough? The ten failed passcode attempt and also sign out of all emails? I have iphone SE so how much cost for that?

BugeyeSTI

macrumors 604
Aug 19, 2017
Arizona/Illinois
Battery replacement for your phone is $49 + tax U.S. Why wouldn't you just backup your phone then erase all contents and settings before you bring it in in for the battery replacement? When you get the phone back you can restore from backup and all your settings and most data will be returned to pre battery replacement... Or just use erase all contents and settings, it completely removes all data from the device a lot faster than 10 failed attempts

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.