Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Worlrl

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 22, 2020
I’m using launch day iPhone 8.
I noticed the battery is swollen so after 4 years and screen, battery replacement I think it’s better to buy a new one.

I’m thinking about buying the 2020 SE but I heard there maybe a new one coming out.

It’s fine to wait 6 months with a swollen battery or should I buy a new one right now or maybe next month when 13 launch and maybe there will be a price drop …

thanks

now i see it

macrumors G4
Jan 2, 2002
While each new model of iPhone is a bit faster than the previous one, the iPhone 8 is no slouch and a new SE won't be that much different.
In my opinion, replacing an 8 (that has a good battery) with a SE2 is just a waste of money- the phones are very similar.
My suggestion: replace the battery in your trusty 8 and keep on using it.
Guaranteed if you get an SE2, you'll be underwhelmed when compared to the 8.

TGM85

macrumors 6502
Aug 29, 2005
While each new model of iPhone is a bit faster than the previous one, the iPhone 8 is no slouch and a new SE won't be that much different.
In my opinion, replacing an 8 (that has a good battery) with a SE2 is just a waste of money- the phones are very similar.
Or consider getting a refurbished SE 2020.

jdclifford

macrumors 6502a
Jul 26, 2011
The SE2 will take your 8 and give you performance of an iPhone 11. Same chip etc.

Worlrl

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 22, 2020
It’s a good idea but It got a faulty Taptic Engine and speakers so I’m not sure it’s worth investing anymore

maybe you guys have other suggestions for a budget solution?

maerz001

macrumors 68020
Nov 2, 2010
I checked recently the prices and here the XS used is about the same price as a used SE (about 300€).
so maybe you can find one in good condition

ignatius345

macrumors 604
Aug 20, 2015
I noticed the battery is swollen so after 4 years and screen, battery replacement I think it’s better to buy a new one.

I’m thinking about buying the 2020 SE but I heard there maybe a new one coming out.

It’s fine to wait 6 months with a swollen battery or should I buy a new one right now or maybe next month when 13 launch and maybe there will be a price drop …

thanks
Don't keep using that swollen battery phone. Li-ion fires are horrifying -- look up a couple on YouTube if you don't believe me.

If you really want to wait it out for the 13, go on eBay and buy a cheap iPhone 8 or something for like $150 that will get you through without possibly setting your house on fire or giving you 3rd degree burns. Then resell it when you get your 13 and recoup some or all of what you paid.

Evader115

macrumors member
Jan 28, 2021

thanks
I had a 6s and replaced it with an iPhone XR from declutter for less than 300.
The battery life and performance are miles apart.

Apple$

macrumors 6502
May 21, 2021
I'd advise replacing it now, you don't want to end up on the 6pm news.... Trust me. Better to replace it now with a SE. Some US carriers give you free to low cost iPhone SE's like Cricket or Metro.

Cancelled
Apr 16, 2020
In the Apple Refurb Store, the cheapest phone is an unlocked 256GB iPhone 8 at $469. iPhone SE haven't been offered there yet. If you're willing to consider other carriers and prepaid versus postpaid, I agree with @Apple$ that you may find a good SE deal.

I have a launch day XR and it's going strong. Love this phone, but I'll probably get whatever SE model is available when it dies.

Reactions: Apple$

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
For me, it was a perfect switch from iPhone 8 to 2020 iPhone SE. It does everything I like, and it does it more quickly. Plus, until this afternoon, I was still using the case from my iPhone 7.

If a person needs to be exhilarated with every purchase, there is disappointment around every corner.

ignatius345

macrumors 604
Aug 20, 2015
For me, it was a perfect switch from iPhone 8 to 2020 iPhone SE. It does everything I like, and it does it more quickly. Plus, until this afternoon, I was still using the case from my iPhone 7.
I went the same route. It was really nice to be able to keep using my battery case. Carrying forward that same body design for multiple generations (iPhone 6 onward, I think?) deserves a lot of credit as an eco-friendly move.

That said, I moved to the 13 Mini recently and am super pleased with the smaller body and larger screen.

Apple$

macrumors 6502
May 21, 2021
I went the same route. It was really nice to be able to keep using my battery case. Carrying forward that same body design for multiple generations (iPhone 6 onward, I think?) deserves a lot of credit as an eco-friendly move.

That said, I moved to the 13 Mini recently and am super pleased with the smaller body and larger screen.
Don't you mean the 12 mini?

• Haha
Reactions: ignatius345

Worlrl

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 22, 2020
The weird thing is that in Israel there are no SE or 11 right now.
Only 1 shop is selling the XR too.

my guess is that they waiting for cheaper shipment after price drops next month.

meanwhile I’m stuck with this swollen battery.
it’s really a little bit raised up screen is it really that dangerous ?

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard

The camera placement was different between the iPhone 6 and iPhone 7, so I bought new cases. When I used the older case, the photos included part of the case.

Reactions: ignatius345

tedley

macrumors 6502
Nov 3, 2009
Sacramento
I want to echo what everybody else has been saying about the safety concerns. You could literally be playing with fire. When L-ion batteries go bad, they can really go bad.

I would normally say, just replace the battery but in this case because since you stated that the phone already has some components that are faulty AND the battery is swollen (possibly causing other damage to the phone), I'd just replace the phone.

I don't really have any recommendations of specifics on what phone to get because I don't know your preferences and needs. I just urge you to discontinue use of a phone with a swollen battery and replace it with another. You don't want to be the source of another spectacular youtube video.

Reactions: Apple$

ignatius345

macrumors 604
Aug 20, 2015
The weird thing is that in Israel there are no SE or 11 right now.
Only 1 shop is selling the XR too.

my guess is that they waiting for cheaper shipment after price drops next month.

meanwhile I’m stuck with this swollen battery.
it’s really a little bit raised up screen is it really that dangerous ?

You're not "stuck" with anything. But if you want to keep using the phone with the obviously defective battery, I guess go for it!

Just for fun, here's what it looks like when they go bad. There's a lot of energy packed into that chemistry.

ApplesAreSweet&Sour

macrumors 68000
Sep 18, 2018
Don't get the 2020 SE unless there's no room for anything more in your budget: On screen battery life is terrible for the 2020 SE.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.