Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Sebastian79

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 12, 2017
I need to buy a cheap iphone. I need to pick one of the 2 below (same price). Screen size doesn't matter, memory partially matters, what matters most is how long it will last... Which do you recommend? Tnx in advance.
  • iPhone SE 16GB
  • iPhone 6 32GB

Fabmac

macrumors regular
Apr 5, 2017
i got myself an SE, it's faster than the 6.. you can get good deals for the 32gb one (its the "standard")

Reactions: WSPAN1C

estabya

macrumors 6502a
Jun 28, 2014
Even if all other relevant specs were equal, the fact that the SE has 2GB Of memory to the 6’s 1GB gives it much better performance and longevity. Get the SE for sure.

Reactions: one more

ivnmetal

Cancelled
Sep 19, 2014
Not sure if you know someone who has a Verizon wireless prepaid account. If you do, i'd suggest you buy the $200 32GB prepaid verizon SE at Best buy. Your friend can get it unlocked if you don't use Verizon. I did this last night (i'm with TMO)

yukari

macrumors 6502a
Jun 29, 2010
I just traded my 6 for an SE. Much faster and I hated the size of 6. SE is much better to carry it around in my pant pockets. With 6, I had to take it out every time I sat down.

Flopstar

macrumors regular
Sep 17, 2017
I need to buy a cheap iphone. I need to pick one of the 2 below (same price). Screen size doesn't matter, memory partially matters, what matters most is how long it will last... Which do you recommend? Tnx in advance.
  • iPhone SE 16GB
  • iPhone 6 32GB

EDIT: Just saw you got your phone. Happy you're happy with it!

I would recommend the SE even if storage is a problem. It has basically double the performance, will run way better on iOS 11+, will last longer, and imo has a much better design.

*If storage is really a problem, then I would recommend using Google Photos or just uploading a lot of photos to your computer. That will help you save a lot of memory.

Reactions: Sebastian79

Vivian125

macrumors 6502
May 19, 2017
Definitely go for an iPhone 7 and above.. SE and iPhone 6 aren't waterproof and wont last that long.. iPhone 7 will get updates until 2021 while 6 and 6s or SE lacks hvvc encoding, and more. I think they will die at 2019/2020 for some reason.. SE looks like iPhone 4 with ancient design people will laugh at ur SE and so old.. 6 is also bendable

Fabmac

macrumors regular
Apr 5, 2017
Definitely go for an iPhone 7 and above.. SE and iPhone 6 aren't waterproof and wont last that long.. iPhone 7 will get updates until 2021 while 6 and 6s or SE lacks hvvc encoding, and more. I think they will die at 2019/2020 for some reason.. SE looks like iPhone 4 with ancient design people will laugh at ur SE and so old.. 6 is also bendable
o what the hell...

who is thinking to keep an phone until 2021? 4 years ? the iPhone 5(same design of the SE) is now 5 years old
should we laugh about the fact that the ****** 6-7-8 design is already 3 years old?

who cares what other people think about your phone?
I prefer nowadays the SE over any other iPhone because it works great, good pictures (got a reflex for the rest) and good battery lifetime.

mtneer

macrumors 68040
Sep 15, 2012

You may as well recommend the X?? The OP wanted a 'cheap" iPhone. The SE and the 6 are going sub $200 now. If you make financial decisions based on whether someone else will "laugh at you", then you have got serious issues...

yukari

macrumors 6502a
Jun 29, 2010
You may as well recommend the X?? The OP wanted a 'cheap" iPhone. The SE and the 6 are going sub $200 now. If you make financial decisions based on whether someone else will "laugh at you", then you have got serious issues...
+1. I don't understand that type of mentality at all.

I buy things because I like them and use them, not because what someone else might think.
I hate current trend in large phone sizes. I love my SE because it does all the things I want in a phone and I can carry it around without constantly having to take it in-and-out of my pant pocket when I sit.

If I want to spend a prolonged time surfing the web, I use my laptop. I don't consider my iPhone to be be all end all personal computer. I consider it to be a phone/messaging device. Sure once in a while when I am about, I will use it to check emails and other news, but 90+ of the time it is used as a communication device.

DevinNj

macrumors 68000
Apr 27, 2016
New Jersey

Yup if you buy the SE, society will shun you, you'll be forced into exile. Really, laughed at? That "ancient" design sold millions of phones. I personally think it's a great phone for someone who doesn't want a large phone or doesn't want to pay a premium for a "socially acceptable, flagship, look at how great I am" iPhone.

wproct

macrumors 6502
Dec 4, 2014
Iowa
I'm really happy with what you bought. I was going to say that I would prefer to have the SE over the 6, but I would hate to go back to 16g of storage. You took care of that! I'm sure you are going to love your SE!:)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.