Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

conifer

macrumors regular
Oct 30, 2014
Stuffing the iPhone 8 guts into the old 5/5S/SE platform would be amazing. There are probably too many components to do that (thinking of new features like wireless charging), though. The $150-200/year of use metric seems like a highly reasonable view. I doubt the iPhone X I bought last month would come anywhere near that figure, and frankly I don't expect it to.

The X could possibly come close to that if one took advantage of those $300 off deals on the 64GB and then sold it after a year. I got the X for a day but returned it as I didn't like the narrow video screen, didn't see it as wowing me so much more than SE or 6s that I had to have it. I loved the gestures though. The face ID was cool too although it makes me nervous that apple is sharing that info with apps, I would like them to think out the security on it.

I am still thinking about the 8 plus as it has the X but with bigger video screen to my taste and the camera is good too. But I am hoping Apple will switch to USB C so I can ditch lightning. And I have a sneaky suspicion the X design will be refined next year and the notch will shrink. So I am in no hurry and the SE was a good choice.

ps I got my new SE on 9.3.2 and have not updated. If its not broke, why fix it?

Last edited:

Dented

macrumors 65816
Oct 16, 2009
The SE is a fantastic phone now, it will carry on being a fantastic phone for some time to come, iOS 12 won’t be a problem and I doubt 13 will either. Personally I feel like I’m over the need to constantly wait on rumours and worry about lifespans, we’re well past the point where things develop that quickly anymore. It’s not like the SE2 will have a 128bit processor and 10gb ram, it’ll be the same setup as the iPhone 8 minus a few features, which really isn’t miles away from what the SE is now.. The reality is, whichever one you buy, you’ll probably sell on and upgrade years before it’s even remotely stretched.

OP, open the box, sell your 6s while it’s still in sellable condition and hasn’t died on you altogether. Relax and enjoy your new, more pocketable phone.

Reactions: MartyvH and Fleera

kevink2

macrumors 68000
Nov 2, 2008
The rumored SE2 probably won't be below $200 for some time. Not that long ago the 5s was the prepaid phone of choice for good prices (though not good for T-Mobile users). If the Se is dropped, maybe the 6s will be the inexpensive phone of choice, and the SE2 a faster, smaller, variant.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
The rumored SE2 probably won't be below $200 for some time. Not that long ago the 5s was the prepaid phone of choice for good prices (though not good for T-Mobile users). If the Se is dropped, maybe the 6s will be the inexpensive phone of choice, and the SE2 a faster, smaller, variant.

The 6S is likely going to be discontinued in 2018 in Apples iPhone lineup.

In Apples iPhone 2018 line up, I believe it will be:

iPhone SE2? (Doubtful)
iPhone 7
iPhone 8
iPhone 6.1 LCD
iPhone X
2018 iPhone X/X Plus.

kevink2

macrumors 68000
Nov 2, 2008
The 6S is likely going to be discontinued in 2018 in Apples iPhone lineup.

This year, the 2 common phones being sold on prepaid services discounted were the 6 and the SE. Which would indicate that maybe the 6s might be that way next year if it is the last year of the phone. IMO.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
That would be a big mistake if they don't do an SE2 at some point.
By their own admission, the SE demand has been way higher than they'd anticipated.

I too would like to see an iPhone SE2, as someone who owned the previous iPhone SE, diversity is a good thing. However, you do have to remember, the majority of iPhone consumers likely don't prefer a smaller 4 inch display, given its dated design and older components. The ones who do like the iPhone SE, are the ones who don't care about the latest iPhone models and they strictly want the iPhone SE for the Pocket-ability.

The real point of the iPhone SE that many don't consider as well, it was intended for India's market to have an affordable phone.

With this newly rumored 6.1 LCD iPhone coming in 2018, I don't know that Apple will update to LCD iPhones. If Apple does update the iPhone SE, I believe it would be before the 2018 Keynote, perhaps somewhere in the spring if they do have a keynote.

turbineseaplane

macrumors P6
Mar 19, 2008
If Apple does update the iPhone SE, I believe it would be before the 2018 Keynote, perhaps somewhere in the spring if they do have a keynote.

That's exactly when they will update it as it is when they have done it both other times.

Regarding components.
When the SE came out it was absolutely power packed two years ago with most all 6s guts.

Even today my SE is a complete racehorse that screams.

This product is simply on a different update cycle than the top end iPhones. That does not necessarily mean they don't find it to be an important product, just that it doesn't need any updates any more frequently.

Reactions: rui no onna

azpekt

macrumors 6502
Jun 27, 2012
hp, illinois
Ok, I was so high yesterday after my friend birthday party, that I ended up trading in my iPhone SE, and picking up iPhone X.
Well, that costs an arm and leg, but hey, I enjoyed it.

turbineseaplane

macrumors P6
Mar 19, 2008
Ok, I was so high yesterday after my friend birthday party, that I ended up trading in my iPhone SE, and picking up iPhone X.
Well, that costs an arm and leg, but hey, I enjoyed it.

I'm always perplexed when I see a story like this.
I don't consider the SE and the X to be two options people would shop against each other as they are so wildly different.

What drew you to the SE in the first place?

turbineseaplane

macrumors P6
Mar 19, 2008
i like the design and size. had 6+ before it, but it broke - so I ended up with SE.
SE is cool little phone, and price is awesome - but I guess I just had my fair share of joy with it and decided to try something else.

I hear you… Sounds like you kind of just enjoy checking out different models and seeing what is cool and new and different.

Fair enough.
I'm in the camp that uses my phone as a pocketable powerhouse and needs it to be as small and unobtrusive as possible.

Reactions: subjonas

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
That's exactly when they will update it as it is when they have done it both other times.

That's even if even have host a spring Keynote. Which would be the two-year mark from when it launched back in March 2016. Last year, everybody thought there would be a March keynote that never happened.

.When the SE came out it was absolutely power packed two years ago with most all 6s guts.

Although true, the hardware was rather inferior and so was the display. But given the price point of the iPhone SE was meant to be entry-level, naturally they're not going to add options such as 3D Touch, a higher resolution display, etc.

The point of the iPhone SE was not about offering the latest hardware and features as much as it was offering the 4 inch form factor. No one purchases an iPhone SE with the expectations of having the latest iPhone, they purchase it because they want a smaller iPhone altogether.

This product is simply on a different update cycle then top end iPhones. That does not necessarily mean they don't find it to be an important product, just that it doesn't need any updates any more frequently.

But the fact of the matter is, smaller smart phones with smaller displays are a dying trend. They have been for years, but I think the consumers Are fortunate that Apple is even offering a 4 inch iPhone currently given that most manufacturers have moved away from This form factor. The Market preference is for larger displays.

Regardless, if we don't see an iPhone SE likely between March through June 2018, then it will be Unlikely if it will debut at all. I still don't believe we will see an iPhone SE 2.

turbineseaplane

macrumors P6
Mar 19, 2008
But the fact of the matter is, smaller smart phones with smaller displays are a dying trend.

You're ignoring that Apple themselves were very surprised with the popularity of the SE.
I'm fairly certain they'll spec bump it and keep it going.

It may not get many upgrades to the screen, etc, but most SE users aren't even worried about things like that.

We care about the size and it being moderately updated (which it is).
If they keep doing that, the target audience for it will continue to buy and enjoy it.

It need not do more than that.
[doublepost=1512761486][/doublepost]
The point of the iPhone SE was not about offering the latest hardware and features as much as it was offering the 4 inch form factor. No one purchases an iPhone SE with the expectations of having the latest iPhone, they purchase it because they want a smaller iPhone altogether.

Of course! Totally agree.
The reason they packed it with power is so it would have great longevity on a longer update cycle.

Honestly, they could go another year and update it again in 2019 and it'd be fine.
The current SE absolutely screams - I totally love the thing.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
You're ignoring that Apple themselves were very surprised with the popularity of the SE.
I'm fairly certain they'll spec bump it and keep it going.

It may not get many upgrades to the screen, etc, but most SE users aren't even worried about things like that.

We care about the size and it being moderately updated (which it is).
If they keep doing that, the target audience for it will continue to buy and enjoy it.

It need not do more than that..

I'm not disputing the popularity iPhone SE, but it's also not entirely designated for the average consumer in today's market of where larger displays are more primary. The iPhone SE was and is developed for India's market, contrary to what others think, thats One of sole reasons why it exists. It's still not the first choice of an iPhone amongst most iPhone consumers because of the display and outdated design, which I understand the form factor is key. Which I'm also inclined to believe they don't make very much in terms of sales off of the SE.

I understand that Apple may not give it the latest specifications, especially if they want to retain the current price point. But since it's been strongly rumored that a 6.1 LCD display is coming, I don't believe Apple will update the SE alongside that.

Regardless, I'm not saying an update will not happen, but I don't believe the iPhone SE was a product that was meant for a bi- annual update. I think it was a one time offering from Apple for reasons Mentioned.

turbineseaplane

macrumors P6
Mar 19, 2008
The iPhone SE was and is developed for India's market, contrary to what others think, thats One of sole reasons why it exists.

Have a source on that?
The India market rationale is definitely part of it, but I've not seen any evidence that it's the only reason for it existing.

Have you? Or are you speculating?
[doublepost=1512762211][/doublepost]
But since it's been strongly rumored that a 6.1 LCD display is coming, I don't believe Apple will update the SE alongside that.

I think you might be mixing up rumors of new devices to fill out the front/top-end line alongside the X.

If the SE2 is just a spec bump (internals, camera, etc) with the same screen/form factor, there is basically nothing that would come out of the supply chain (where all the rumors come from) to show up in the rumor stream.
[doublepost=1512762241][/doublepost]
Regardless, I'm not saying an update will not happen, but I don't believe the iPhone SE was a product that was meant for a bi- annual update.

Apologies...Not to be a jerk, but bi-annual means twice a year, not every other year..
Biennial is what you're looking for there.

Last edited:

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Have a source on that?
The India market rationale is definitely part of it, but I've not seen any evidence that it's the only reason for it existing.

Have you? Or are you speculating?

Please take the time read more carefully. I never said It was the only reason. I said it was one of the sole reasons.

The iPhone SE was and is developed for India's market, contrary to what others think, thats One of sole reasons why it exists.

http://www.firstpost.com/tech/news-...by-developed-markets-instead-3680763.html/amp

https://www.macrumors.com/2017/06/26/first-iphone-se-assembled-in-india/amp/

http://m.indiatoday.in/lite/story/apple-starts-selling-made-in-india-iphone-se/1/959917.html

You're mixing up rumors of new devices to fill out the line alongside the X I think.

If the SE2 is just a spec bump (internals, camera, etc) with the same screen/form factor, there is basically nothing that would come out of the supply chain (where all the rumors come from) to show up in the rumor stream.

I'm not mixing up any rumors, in fact, there's only been one rumor then iPhone SE will surface. But the iPhone SE is a separate entity of an iPhone on its own, and again, if it doesn't launch during the spring, then I would say the chances are rather slim during the fall.

It's really not about if Apple will update the SE to a specification Bump, it's the fact if they decide to upgrade it at all. I don't believe they will. I think the SE is a one time iPhone. I know you seem rather delusional about the fact that there doesn't seem to be any other answer that the iPhone SE will be updated, but you don't have any other reason to believe that it will be either. Contrary to your own belief, it doesn't necessarily make it accurate.

turbineseaplane

macrumors P6
Mar 19, 2008
It's really not about if Apple will update the SE to a specification Bump, it's the fact if they decide to upgrade it at all. I don't believe they will. I don't think the SE is a one time iPhone. I know you seem rather delusional about the fact that there doesn't seem to be any other answer that the iPhone SE will be updated, but you don't have any other reason to believe that it will be either. Contrary to your own belief, it doesn't necessarily make it accurate.

Ok - I think we're done here. We're heading down a bad path.
We disagree and that's fine of course.

Let's revisit in the Spring and see if it got spec bumped, sound good?

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Ok - I think we're done here.

I simply requested that you don't twist or add your own narrative in regarding something I never posted. It's not too much to ask for a discussion to read the post More carefully.

We disagree and that's fine of course.

Personally, reading your post history on the iPhone SE, it just seems to me you're more obsessed with the fact that you badly want to believe that this will happen no matter what anybody else says on here. And you don't want to hear the The opposite aspects that Someone else believes the iPhone SE will not be updated. Could I be wrong, yes. But given the fact of the SE and Apples market for profitability and larger iPhone trends, I don't see it having a future. I believe the SE existed for India's market and an as entry-level iPhone on a limited term. But I don't believe it be a continual trend or updated with Apple.

Thanks for the discussion.

turbineseaplane

macrumors P6
Mar 19, 2008
I simply requested that you don't twist or add your own narrative in regarding something I never posted. It's not too much to ask for a discussion to read the post More carefully.

I'm apologize you took it as "twisting" as I didn't intend that.

You said "one of the sole reasons".
That to me is confusing.

What's the difference between "the only reason" and "the sole reason"?

You can't really have "one of" the sole reasons as "sole reason" infers "only one".

Thanks for the discussion.

Thank you for the discussion also.
Let's be respectful and agree to disagree.

I believe the SE will be updated and/or something in the same screen/physical size range (sub 4.7") will be an Apple product moving forward. The SE showed them there is demand at that end of things that surprised them and I think they'll react to that.

I think we are clear on each others views.
See you in the Spring

Last edited:

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
The SE showed them there is demand at that end of things that surprised them and I think they'll react to that

Which Means absolutely nothing in terms of they will update the SE or not. Apple being 'Surprised' doesn't indicate to them that it makes logical sense to bring the SE back. That's great that it was well recepted. But the fact is, the primary market is not in for the iPhone SE contrary to what you read or believe on a tech forum. I'm Not trying to dissuade you from your own beliefs, But open up the reality to other opinions and views that the SE doesn't have a guaranteed future contrary to your own liking the SE.

Lets be respectful

You Edited your post after the fact. But to enlighten the other readers, I never disrespected you or your post(s), so again, please read carefully, as you seem to be misconstruing my post. I was respectful through the entire discussion, even if I don't agree with your beliefs. Again, you're trying add your own narrative for a second time in this discussion, please stop insinuating the discussion in your own light, when It doesn't work like that.

turbineseaplane

macrumors P6
Mar 19, 2008
You Edited your post after the fact.

Nothing so sinister - I simply edit my posts and tweak them, etc, here in the browser.
I put it back for you - Nothing to hide

@Relentless Power
Could you please comment on the below?

I'm apologize you took it as "twisting" as I didn't intend that.

You said "one of the sole reasons".
That to me is confusing.

What's the difference between "the only reason" and "the sole reason"?

You can't really have "one of" the sole reasons as "sole reason" infers "only one".

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.