Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ksec

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Dec 23, 2015
I just discovered there are iPhone SE Prepaid selling in US for SRP $199, with discount going to $129 to $149.

That is a very steep discount compared to the official $349 price.

But as far as i am aware this is US only, the price isn't available anywhere else in the world.

Why is this US only? And not India, or China, much more price sensitive market.

While it is Sim Locked, you could have an AT&T unlock it after 6 months of usage. And for most of Apple product, if not all; their worldwide pricing has been consistent when you exclude any Import Duty and tax. Is this US Apple privilege?

macher

macrumors 68040
Oct 13, 2012
I just discovered there are iPhone SE Prepaid selling in US for SRP $199, with discount going to $129 to $149.

That is a very steep discount compared to the official $349 price.

But as far as i am aware this is US only, the price isn't available anywhere else in the world.

Why is this US only? And not India, or China, much more price sensitive market.

While it is Sim Locked, you could have an AT&T unlock it after 6 months of usage. And for most of Apple product, if not all; their worldwide pricing has been consistent when you exclude any Import Duty and tax. Is this US Apple privilege?

You can get it unlocked sooner by an unlocking service.

anitak1982

macrumors 6502a
Nov 10, 2017
West Central Ohio
My daughter bought an se 32 gig last night at Walmart for $160 going with total wireless. My son bought an se 32 gig at Verizon a month ago for $380. Huge difference

ksec

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Dec 23, 2015
You can get it unlocked sooner by an unlocking service.

Thanks. I thought those were scam. Is the unlock permanent? Would it be locked again if I had it fully reset?

And if it is possible to unlock it without opening the box? I cant remember if the IMEI could be seen from the packing, as I want it to be a gift for someone else.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.