Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

eedoxies

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 13, 2015
Upgrading family member from basic phone to an SE on our Verizon family plan. We looked at options and the size was the factor most important to this very light user. I see on here mentions of discounted pricing on this model, but I haven't found any lower than the $349 price. I see Best Buy has the prepaid Verizon version for $199, but won't be using on prepaid.
Considered waiting to see if an upgrade is announced, but honestly this model will be fine for the person using it and just wanted to ask here if anyone has purchased for less and if so, where/when.
Thanks for any input.

mtneer

macrumors 68040
Sep 15, 2012
I bought an AT&T prepaid SE for a family member for $159 recently. No need to pay Apple's top dollar prices when the same phone is available for much cheaper with some research...

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
Note, you can use the $199 Verizon iPhone SE prepaid kit on Verizon postpaid service. You just need to pay and activate for one month of prepaid service (~$40-50) first so actual savings is reduced to $100 instead of $150.

praterkeith

macrumors 6502
Oct 30, 2005
Montgomery, AL
Note, you can use the $199 Verizon iPhone SE prepaid kit on Verizon postpaid service. You just need to pay and activate for one month of prepaid service (~$40-50) first so actual savings is reduced to $100 instead of $150.
I was told by Verizon in December I'd have to wait 6 months.

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
I was told by Verizon in December I'd have to wait 6 months.
Iirc, rule was pay one month service for use with Verizon postpaid, 6 months to get it unlocked. You don't actually have to wait for the specified time period, just need to spend the equivalent amount.

Granted, possible they may have changed policies.

4RunnerHeaven

Suspended
Nov 24, 2017
This is what we did with AT&T SE model. Paid $120 when it was on sale, and got the SE activated on AT&T. They canceled it within an hour and then I provided them proof I did buy it, and they reactivated it right away. Been great since.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.