Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Camarillo Brillo

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 6, 2019
I just got my new iPhone SE and noticed something that slightly bothers me.

The edge of the screen on the left side, where the volume buttons are, is raised a tiny bit compared to the right side by the power button.

When I rub my finger over the seam from screen to body on the power button side, it feels quite smooth. On the volume button side, I feel a distinct ridge where the edge that is supposed to be flush with the aluminum side sticks up a bit. It is worst right by the volume buttons and upper left corner - the rest of the screen sits flush around the phone.

The difference is too small to see unless I get really close and look down the edge of the phone... but I can definitely feel it. When looking at the edge of the phone from the side, I can see the screen is visibly raised in that area. So it is visible, but not easy to notice unless by touch.

I checked my iphone7 to compare, and it is more even around the phone

Would this bother you enough to exchange for a new one? Am I being overly OCD about this?

Last edited:

kanga1622

macrumors regular
Sep 21, 2016
Honestly, it would drive me nuts because I would feel it all the time and it is a new phone. It would be worth calling about swapping for a different phone.

Reactions: Camarillo Brillo

Camarillo Brillo

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 6, 2019
Thanks, I agree, going to have to swap it out

Apple has a really bad QC record for me, and yet I keep buying their products, because once I get a good one, it lasts a long time. I remember when I bought my 7 I had to do an exchange because of a similar issue with a big gap across the top where the screen meets the case. I was concerned about water resistance... but also it looked wrong.

Every MacBook (pro) I've purchased (there have been three) has been exchanged due to a similar defect. Lid closes with a big gap on one side, or closes crooked so that it hangs over on one side, or in the case of my first 16", an actual gash or chip missing from the aluminum. Apple can probably see that I have returned a lot of things but they have all been legitimate defects. Given, maybe some people would just ignore them, but I will not, not when I'm spending this kind of money.

Ladybug

macrumors 68000
Apr 13, 2006
Swap it. No reason you should pay for a defective phone. I’m not ocd but that would bother me.

Camarillo Brillo

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 6, 2019
So... I swapped it. The new phone is better.

But... They already stopped including the lightning headphones and charging brick in the box!!! My new one came in the new slim box. I was really happy that I got a new pair of lightning earbuds in that last box. Thats kind of annoying.

I guess on the other hand, I got the new usb-c charging cable, so at least I can plug it directly into my computer....

Last edited:
Reactions: Ladybug
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.