Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

1BadManVan

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Dec 20, 2009
Bc Canada
So I have a pretty good deal through my work for certain iPhones and plans. We are looking at getting our oldest (12) a cellphone for Christmas. My two options im weighing are an SE ($240 brand new) or the iPhone 11 ($460)

keep in mind these are Canadian prices where the SE is normaly $600 and the 11 is $1k.

is it worth paying the extra to get him the 11 for the bigger screen, extra ram, bigger battery and cameras? Or just stick with an se for his first phone?

StaceyMJ86

macrumors demi-goddess
Sep 22, 2015
Washington, DC
So I have a pretty good deal through my work for certain iPhones and plans. We are looking at getting our oldest (12) a cellphone for Christmas. My two options im weighing are an SE ($240 brand new) or the iPhone 11 ($460)

keep in mind these are Canadian prices where the SE is normaly $600 and the 11 is $1k.

is it worth paying the extra to get him the 11 for the bigger screen, extra ram, bigger battery and cameras? Or just stick with an se for his first phone?

My 9yo have the 11 and love it! I had her use my SE 2020 for 24 hours and she hated it. She didn’t like the size, battery life and storage size. She uses her 11 for school work, FaceTime and texting with family and friends, games, movies and a host of other things. For me personally the 11 was worth more for her than the SE 2020.

1BadManVan

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Dec 20, 2009
Bc Canada
My 9yo have the 11 and love it! I had her use my SE 2020 for 24 hours and she hated it. She didn’t like the size, battery life and storage size. She uses her 11 for school work, FaceTime and texting with family and friends, games, movies and a host of other things. For me personally the 11 was worth more for her than the SE 2020.
Awesome, thanks. Appreciate the input

they have iPad Air 3’s so I know the majority of multi media use will be with those

Reactions: StaceyMJ86

Zazoh

macrumors 68000
Jan 4, 2009
San Antonio, Texas
We started our kids when at that age as well. They got the hand me downs, so mom and dad could get new phones. They were happy just to have something as it opened a whole new way to communicate with friends.

Your child will use the phone just as you do but perhaps spend way more time on YouTube. They would benefit from a larger screen. But I doubt would be unhappy with being able to finally move into the new world either way.

If money is no concern, do the 11. But, when you get the SE for the younger ones when they reach age, you’re in trouble. Lol

Heads up, I have a 14 and 15 year old. All 4 of us are in the Apple ecosystem. Laptops, iPads, AirPods, few watches.

Except for my daughters love for the ChromeBook, life’s expensive in this realm!

Last edited:

1BadManVan

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Dec 20, 2009
Bc Canada
We started our kids when at that age as well. They got the hand me downs, so mom and dad could get new phones. They were happy just to have something as it opened a whole new way to communicate with friends.

Your child will use the phone just as you do but perhaps spend way more time on YouTube. They would benefit from a larger screen. But I doubt would be unhappy with being able to finally move into the new world either way.

If money is no concern, do the 11. But, when you get the SE for the younger ones when they reach age, you’re in trouble. Lol

Heads up, I have a 14 and 15 year old. All 4 of us are in the Apple ecosystem. Laptops, iPads, AirPods, few watches.

Except for my daughters love for the ChromeBook, life’s expensive in this realm!
Definitely is expensive, the iPad Air 3 LTE models last year for Christmas. That hurt the wallet lol. But during the pandemic they were and godsend.

my local Telus dealer through my work now has the iPhone 11 for $5 a month so that just helped me make that decision lol

Iphoneness

macrumors 6502
Mar 19, 2010
Raleigh, North Carolina
So I have the SE and my wife has the 11 so I have good experience with both. It’s definitely worth it to get the 11. The screen is the biggest difference and the camera is a wildly huge upgrade.

nordique

macrumors 68000
Oct 12, 2014
They're both great phones. At those carrier prices I would put in the extra $ for the 11

1BadManVan

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Dec 20, 2009
Bc Canada
Thanks for the help everyone. iPhone 11 ordered, they already have the ones with the stupid new “eco friendly” boxes so no charging brick in it lol.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.