Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jm31828

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 28, 2015
Bothell, Washington
I have an SE3 that I bought about two weeks ago, and I just recently picked up a 13 Mini and I am trying to decide which I will keep before my return window closes this Sunday on my SE.

I really like both phones, there are plusses to each- but I love that they both have the same ultra fast A15 chip and 4GB RAM, and both are close to being the same size, with the SE being just a bit thinner.

What is odd to me is that when I am using my basic apps- online banking, Facebook, and Reddit- that I usually use on the phone, the 13 Mini gets just a bit warm on the back. However the SE NEVER gets warm when using these apps, in fact it is as cool/cold as it would be when it sits idle.

This seems odd to me given that they are the same processor, almost the same sized phone as far as room to dissipate heat- any ideas why the SE would stay so cool and the 13 Mini would get warm, as if it is working harder? Is it the OLED screen and the higher resolution it has to push- does that take a bit more "horsepower" vs pushing to the lower res LCD screen on the SE?

Just a curious question- the 13 Mini is certainly not getting HOT by any means, so it's not that concerning.

bodonnell202

macrumors 68030
Jan 5, 2016
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Hmmm... interesting. The A15 is generally known for running cool (I have as yet to experience my 13 getting warm, though I have experienced that on several of my previous iPhones). Not sure if that is normal for the 13 Mini though? Was it just on the first day you set it up and it was maybe still doing a lot of things in the background?

jm31828

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 28, 2015
Bothell, Washington
Hmmm... interesting. The A15 is generally known for running cool (I have as yet to experience my 13 getting warm, though I have experienced that on several of my previous iPhones). Not sure if that is normal for the 13 Mini though? Was it just on the first day you set it up and it was maybe still doing a lot of things in the background?
Actually come to think of it, this was fairly common on the 13 Pro I used for the last year as well- it would get really hot using the Tapatalk app to view this forum (as it did on any other phone I've ever used), but the other apps I mentioned in my post- Facebook, Reddit, Safari, mobile banking- the phone would sometimes get just a bit warm, too. Nothing concerning- but the 13 Mini is similar, or maybe just a touch warmer due to the very compact size.

I just found it odd that the SE doesn't do this at all, it's cool as a cucumber when using anything at all other than Tapatalk.

This wasn't just when setting it up (then it understandably got rather hot)- it's been this way each time I've used it over the last few days.

Again certainly not warm enough to be concerning, it just had me curious on why this phone would be different than the SE in regards to warmth, given that the SE is even thinner, and very similar in overall size.

bodonnell202

macrumors 68030
Jan 5, 2016
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Actually come to think of it, this was fairly common on the 13 Pro I used for the last year as well- it would get really hot using the Tapatalk app to view this forum (as it did on any other phone I've ever used), but the other apps I mentioned in my post- Facebook, Reddit, Safari, mobile banking- the phone would sometimes get just a bit warm, too. Nothing concerning- but the 13 Mini is similar, or maybe just a touch warmer due to the very compact size.

I just found it odd that the SE doesn't do this at all, it's cool as a cucumber when using anything at all other than Tapatalk.

This wasn't just when setting it up (then it understandably got rather hot)- it's been this way each time I've used it over the last few days.

Again certainly not warm enough to be concerning, it just had me curious on why this phone would be different than the SE in regards to warmth, given that the SE is even thinner, and very similar in overall size.
Interesting - could just be that the GPU on the SE doesn't have to work as hard since the screen is lower resolution as you mentioned. I can't think of another reason.

Reactions: jm31828

DeepIn2U

macrumors G5
May 30, 2002
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
I have an SE3 that I bought about two weeks ago, and I just recently picked up a 13 Mini and I am trying to decide which I will keep before my return window closes this Sunday on my SE.

I really like both phones, there are plusses to each- but I love that they both have the same ultra fast A15 chip and 4GB RAM, and both are close to being the same size, with the SE being just a bit thinner.

What is odd to me is that when I am using my basic apps- online banking, Facebook, and Reddit- that I usually use on the phone, the 13 Mini gets just a bit warm on the back. However the SE NEVER gets warm when using these apps, in fact it is as cool/cold as it would be when it sits idle.

This seems odd to me given that they are the same processor, almost the same sized phone as far as room to dissipate heat- any ideas why the SE would stay so cool and the 13 Mini would get warm, as if it is working harder? Is it the OLED screen and the higher resolution it has to push- does that take a bit more "horsepower" vs pushing to the lower res LCD screen on the SE?

Just a curious question- the 13 Mini is certainly not getting HOT by any means, so it's not that concerning.
Performance differences and packaging design.

the 13 mini is packaged VERY densely compared to the SE3, just start by looking at the LED, FaceID, no chin nor forhead below and above the screen. Less space for are means less cooling and thus more heat get condensed. Also it seems storage is faster on the 13 mini than the SE3.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.