Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ghanwani

macrumors 601
Original poster
Dec 8, 2008
iPhone SE2 users --

How has the battery life been with iOS 14 (all versions)?

My SE1's battery is not doing too well. I tend to run it down twice a day with light use. Rather than change the battery for a 3rd time, I'm thinking of upgrading.

I'm not too thrilled about the design/size or the SE2 (gotta move with the times, like giving up magsafe and ports on macbooks). I figure I'll benefit from a better camera and newer processor (even though the SE1 is plenty fast for my usage). But I want to make sure the battery life will be decent before I take the plunge.

If you have used SE2 and Mini, is the battery life comparable or does one stand out?

denkfout

macrumors newbie
Jan 8, 2021
I’ve used both the SE2 and Mini and in my experience the battery life is comparable. About 4 to 4.5 hours of screen on time with my use case (mostly webbrowsing and texting), which favours the LCD display of the SE. With other types of usage (heavier) I’d suspect the Mini will do slightly better.

Reactions: ghanwani

mainelyme

macrumors member
Oct 14, 2017
It was battery life that forced me to move on from the SE1 as well. Its battery health was still over 90%, but it would drain upsettingly quickly. When I refreshed my podcast feeds, I could see it ticking down. I think I'd lose about 8% each time.

The SE2 has been marvelous. I've seen other people complaining, but I do wonder if they have bad units, as I don't think I've ever been below 50% with this thing. I've even turned on email notifications which I'd never dared do before. I keep a wireless charger on my nightstand, on my desk, and in my truck, so I'm pretty much always topped up.

ghanwani

macrumors 601
Original poster
Dec 8, 2008
I've not used the SE 2, but I used the 7 for years, which is rated to have the same battery life as the SE 2. The mini's battery life is vastly better, like hours of real world difference.
I really like the way the Mini feels in the hand, but very mixed feelings about the notch, OLED/PWM, and lack of a home button. I tried both in store yesterday and definitely prefer the SE2, but maybe because it's just more familiar.

Barbareren

macrumors 6502a
Dec 10, 2020
Norway & Mexico
About 4 to 4.5 hours of screen on time with my use case (mostly webbrowsing and texting), which favours the LCD display of the SE.

Dark mode favours the OLED screen on the Mini. I’ve gotten over 7 hours of SOT on the Mini with lots of battery to spare. I very much doubt the SE2 is comparable with its battery being over 400mAh less than the Mini.

QCassidy352

macrumors G5
Mar 20, 2003
Bay Area
I really like the way the Mini feels in the hand, but very mixed feelings about the notch, OLED/PWM, and lack of a home button. I tried both in store yesterday and definitely prefer the SE2, but maybe because it's just more familiar.
I'm with you on the notch. LCD/OLED - I know some people really prefer the OLED and others can't tolerate it, but honestly I think both are good, and I'm equally happy with either. On the home button, I thought I'd feel like you but got used to not having it within a couple of days.

ghanwani

macrumors 601
Original poster
Dec 8, 2008
GSM Arena has listed battery life endurance as follows:
iPhone SE1 - 73h
iPhone SE2 - 59h
iPhone 12 Mini - 69h

See images attached for breakdown of talk, browse, video times.

So iPhone SE1 has the best battery life and iPhone SE2 has the worst battery life among the three.

I have made an appointment tomorrow to get the battery looked at. If Genius Bar says it needs to be replaced, I'm thinking I'll just go with that option. I'm really not sure what I'm holding out for since there are no interesting phones in the pipeline unless Apple gets rid of the notch and addresses PWM.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-03-25 at 9.47.08 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-03-25 at 9.47.08 PM.png
    45.5 KB · Views: 89
  • Screen Shot 2021-03-25 at 9.46.46 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-03-25 at 9.46.46 PM.png
    59.5 KB · Views: 88
  • Screen Shot 2021-03-25 at 9.46.02 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-03-25 at 9.46.02 PM.png
    58.8 KB · Views: 84

ZircoBen

macrumors regular
Jul 12, 2015
Utah, USA
Something to keep in mind about the SE1 is that it's all but confirmed that it won't get software updates after iOS 14. Apple does a fantastic job at sending out crucial security updates to older, "non-supported" phones, but once an iPhone loses current OS support, the apps will slowly start to fall away in support as well.

I don't know if it's worth the investment in a new battery unless you really are attached to the SE1.

ghanwani

macrumors 601
Original poster
Dec 8, 2008
Something to keep in mind about the SE1 is that it's all but confirmed that it won't get software updates after iOS 14. Apple does a fantastic job at sending out crucial security updates to older, "non-supported" phones, but once an iPhone loses current OS support, the apps will slowly start to fall away in support as well.

I don't know if it's worth the investment in a new battery unless you really are attached to the SE1.
Thanks for mentioning this. Even though I am aware of the rumor, I didn't think about it in this context.

denkfout

macrumors newbie
Jan 8, 2021
Not sure how it was measured and it might depend on the iOS version, but both the SE2 and 12 Mini are a bit better than the original SE in my experience. The only thing that was better on the original SE was its standby time.

(I really miss that old SE though, definitely my favourite iPhone by far.)

ZircoBen

macrumors regular
Jul 12, 2015
Utah, USA
Not sure how it was measured and it might depend on the iOS version, but both the SE2 and 12 Mini are a bit better than the original SE in my experience. The only thing that was better on the original SE was its standby time.

(I really miss that old SE though, definitely my favourite iPhone by far.)
I think some of it has to do with an old CPU trying to handle 2021-level applications. I was thinking about that when I bought an iPhone 7 and I watched the battery tick down way too fast as I set it up and downloaded apps. What was 6 hours of use in 2016 requires less work on a CPU than 6 hours of use of iOS in 2021.

So in general, a newer CPU that is more capable will handle modern day tasks more efficiently.

ghanwani

macrumors 601
Original poster
Dec 8, 2008
As I think about this some more, I'm leaning towards getting the 12 mini. Will have to see if I tolerate the PWM during the 14-day period.

subjonas

macrumors 603
Feb 10, 2014
I’m wondering which between those two phones would be best for me as well, but I mainly care about one-handed usability. But I probably don’t need to decide very soon because I’m almost certainly going to keep using my SE1 until either the battery can no longer be replaced or I lose critical app support (could be a few years). It’s plenty fast enough and Apple will issue critical security updates if needed. I’d love some of the newer phone features, especially the camera and larger storage, but for me the form factor wins out—I like it exactly as it is, plus I strongly prefer Touch ID, and the headphone port is very handy at times. I don’t do any screen consumption while I’m out, and at home I have an iPad mini, so I highly value a one-handed minimalistic phone.

Last edited:

ssledoux

macrumors 601
Sep 16, 2006
Down south
The SE2 battery has been a non-issue for me. Yes it drains more quickly, but it charges so quickly on a USB-C to lightning cable that I’m sometimes shocked when I pick it up after 10-15 minutes and it’s back up to 50% or more.

Also, I plug it into Apple Carplay anytime I’m in my car, and that boosts the charge as well.

nordique

macrumors 68000
Oct 12, 2014
I find the SE2 to have much better battery than the iPhone 7

12 mini I’d say has better battery than both no doubt especially if you use the dark mode to save battery

I find the SE2 and 12 mini got me through a day. SE2 would be close to 15% by the end whereas 12 mini would be 20-30%
The 7 never would with my usage. Not sure why given they have the same battery rating but I suspect the A13 and 14 are just better with power management given the neural engine component as well as more efficient chips.

DeepIn2U

macrumors G5
May 30, 2002
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
I've not used the SE 2, but I used the 7 for years, which is rated to have the same battery life as the SE 2. The mini's battery life is vastly better, like hours of real world difference.

Seems to be the same battery life in real world use as the iPhone 8 does. My 12 mini actually lasts longer than the 8 I used to have by a few hours.

ghanwani

macrumors 601
Original poster
Dec 8, 2008
I think some of it has to do with an old CPU trying to handle 2021-level applications. I was thinking about that when I bought an iPhone 7 and I watched the battery tick down way too fast as I set it up and downloaded apps. What was 6 hours of use in 2016 requires less work on a CPU than 6 hours of use of iOS in 2021.

So in general, a newer CPU that is more capable will handle modern day tasks more efficiently.
The age of the battery matters too. Is this a comparison with a new battery in the iPhone 7 in 2021 vs 2016?

ghanwani

macrumors 601
Original poster
Dec 8, 2008
I’m wondering which between those two phones would be best for me as well, but I mainly care about one-handed usability. But I probably don’t need to decide very soon because I’m almost certainly going to keep using my SE1 until either the battery can no longer be replaced or I lose critical app support (could be a few years). It’s plenty fast enough and Apple will issue critical security updates if needed. I’d love some of the newer phone features, especially the camera and larger storage, but for me the form factor wins out—I like it exactly as it is, plus I strongly prefer Touch ID, and the headphone port is very handy at times. I don’t do any screen consumption while I’m out, and at home I have an iPad mini, so I highly value a one-handed minimalistic phone.
When was the last time you replaced the battery? Mine was last replaced 5/2019 so it's almost 2 years old now.

mr.steevo

macrumors 65816
Jul 21, 2004
My SE1 128GB has an newer aftermarket battery that registered 100% health.
Now that I have tethered an Apple Watch the phone needs a charge by mid afternoon.
My wife just bought an SE2 128GB and with her Apple Watch she gets home from work with 70% charge.

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
The age of the battery matters too. Is this a comparison with a new battery in the iPhone 7 in 2021 vs 2016?

I'm a very light user (read, standby most of the time with probably the cellular radios being the biggest drain because I only get 2 bars at my location).

The 7, I pretty much have to charge daily even when it was new. The SE2, I can often get away with charging every 2 days.

iPhone 7 battery in 2020-21? Pretty much needs to be plugged in all the time and prone to random shutdowns. Still good performance though so I'm considering getting the battery replaced so I can use it as backup.

subjonas

macrumors 603
Feb 10, 2014
When was the last time you replaced the battery? Mine was last replaced 5/2019 so it's almost 2 years old now.
I got my SE1 in 2017, replaced the battery in 2019 I believe, then the battery got even worse by late 2020, and a couple months ago I switched over to my new backup SE1. As soon as I get a chance I’m going to replace the battery in my original SE1 which will then become my backup. I’m a big fan of the phone as you can see.

yticolev

macrumors 6502
Sep 27, 2015
The Mini is my first cell phone going back to 1998 that I don't plug in at night. Last phone was a 6S - which I sometimes had to charge during the day in addition to at night.

I was also scared about being sensitive to PWM. Turned out not to be an issue, and likewise the vast majority have no issues. But beware of any headaches in the first two week inside the return window!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.