Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

harriska2

macrumors 68000
Mar 16, 2011
Oregon
I just went through the same choice and ended up purchasing the SE.
There is no doubt the mini is a better phone. From my point of view, the main advantage of the mini over the SE would have been the improved cameras. Everything else I can easily live without. So my choice came down to whether I wanted to spend double the cash for a better camera, and I decided against it, but it wasn’t an easy decision.
Same here. $359 vs $750 (military discount). Just yikes.

Reactions: Wando64

ghanwani

macrumors 601
Dec 8, 2008
We have 3 original SEs and an iphone 8+. One of the SEs and the 8+ has been dropped numerous times. None of the phones (or the 9 ipads we’ve owned over the last almost 11 years) has ever had a cracked screen, only a few have had minor scratches. An attestment to apple quality and using simple screen protectors and cases.
I have an original SE. I use it without a case. It has a few dents from dropping, nothing too bad, and no scratches. I got this one as a replacement because Apple botched up the service on my original, but the same was true for the original one as well.

Reactions: harriska2

n3uron3rd411

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 22, 2021
much appreciated for all of your responses. I do need to spend a little time to compare them both side by side. Leaning towards the mini.

harriska2

macrumors 68000
Mar 16, 2011
Oregon
I have an original SE. I use it without a case. It has a few dents from dropping, nothing too bad, and no scratches. I got this one as a replacement because Apple botched up the service on my original, but the same was true for the original one as well.
We have a new 2020 SE because the spouse botched replacing the battery on his 2017 SE. Broke the home key good and proper. It still works but now has a virtual on screen home key. Naturally he learned his lesson and got a tool to open the device so my 2017 SE got a new battery without a cockup.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.