Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SpaceGoat

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 5, 2024
I am not generally a mac user, I but I did get a macbook air recently. Ever since then, my mom's iPhone has been sending me imessages which I only receive on my macbook, instead of text messages. I asked her about it, and she believed she was just sending me text messages like normal. How do I configure it so that text messages from her iPhone come to my android phone like a normal text message without imessage interfering and sending a message that I can only receive on my laptop?

Thank you!

NoBoMac

Staff member
Jul 1, 2014
Messages > Settings > iMessage tab. Uncheck everything under "You can be reached for message at" should do the trick.

Or sign-out of Messages. Same place in Messages settings.

Reactions: SpaceGoat

SpaceGoat

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 5, 2024
If I sign out of messages on my macbook, will her iPhone default to sending text messages again? This would be much easier as my mom lives in a different state and is not particularly tech literate. So if I could fix this from my end that would be ideal!

MarkC426

macrumors 68040
May 14, 2008
UK
By default, an iPhone will send iMessage to another iPhone, and text to an Android phone.
You will just not receive messages on your MacBook if you follow the steps above from @NoBoMac

Not sure why your receiving them though if you have an Android phone/number...?
Is your mother using your Apple ID as a contact in her phone?

She needs to use your Android phone number instead.

SpaceGoat

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 5, 2024
By default, an iPhone will send iMessage to another iPhone, and text to an Android phone.
I have an android phone and a macbook. And my mom's iPhone was sending texts to my macbook through iMessage that my android could not receive. My mom lives in a different state, and isn't particularly tech literate. And I myself know nothing of iOS as I the last iPhone I ever owned was a 1st gen from 2007. So I have no idea why her iPhone was doing this. I just know I want it to not.

Anyway I tried signing out of iMessage on my macbook to see if that fixes it.
You will just not receive messages on your MacBook if you follow the steps above from @NoBoMac

Not sure why your receiving them though if you have an Android phone/number...?

She needs to use your Android phone number instead.
I just saw the rest of this message you added later.

I never gave her my Apple ID, but perhaps her iPhone found it on its own somehow?

Last edited:

NoBoMac

Staff member
Jul 1, 2014

She might have by accident. When typing in the "To" field who to send to, might have brought up an entry for phone number and email address that might be tied to Apple ID. Tap email and there you have it.

Seen this with some of my elderly relatives where they hit landline vs cell, all boiling down to how or how not their contacts are setup.

Reactions: MarkC426
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.