Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Aoligei

macrumors 6502a
Jul 16, 2020
So how does the fact that Netflix doesn’t support transactions make it a bad streaming app? Sorry, you’re not making sense. You know, you are free to like any app you want, just don’t make sweeping statements based on your personal preferences.

About WeChat - maybe you don’t use it for much, otherwise I cannot explain how you failed to notice the battery drain. I‘ve seen it consistently over two phones, I am even forced to disable all notifications and rely on WeChat on my laptop because I don’t want to have my phone battery replaced sooner than necessary.

There is nothing wrong with Netflix doesn’t support transactions.

But if one app does everything, why would I download other apps? I don’t need Netflix, YouTube etc if WeChat allow me stream videos. I don’t need download my bankingapp if I can transact using WeChat.

I have over 10K contact on WeChat. I am constantly on WeChat to chat with my client. I never once feel WeChat is battery hog.

unclemax

macrumors 6502
Sep 25, 2015
Go online and go Twitter. You will see plenty of Chinese mainland users.

Your false accusations is simple sheer ignorance. You are base on the impression that Chinese people are uninformed.

iMessage is only popular inside North America. People in other countries don’t need use iMessage or whatever.
It’s not a false accusation, nobody I know in China uses VPN. So far you sound like the ignorant one. People you mentioned on Twitter are wumaos, paid government trolls, or ”aiguo” nationalists who are coordinated to do their “patriotic duty” online. 99.999% of normal Chinese people don’t care and don’t go on Twitter. They don’t even know what that is.

unclemax

macrumors 6502
Sep 25, 2015
There is nothing wrong with Netflix doesn’t support transactions.

But if one app does everything, why would I download other apps? I don’t need Netflix, YouTube etc if WeChat allow me stream videos. I don’t need download my bankingapp if I can transact using WeChat.

I have over 10K contact on WeChat. I am constantly on WeChat to chat with my client. I never once feel WeChat is battery hog.
Because that app (WeChat) is a bloated battery hog that tries to do everything at once and ends up not being good at anything. Look, I can clearly see that you’re some Chinese guy trying to support home-made products, and more power to you. But you know, your desire for it to succeed doesn’t stop it being a mediocre product. There is a reason why WeChat failed to make progress and gain users in other countries, even though Tencent tried hard, even, I think, paid Christiano Ronaldo to promote it.

Reactions: peanuts_of_pathos

Aoligei

macrumors 6502a
Jul 16, 2020
Because that app (WeChat) is a bloated battery hog that tries to do everything at once and ends up not being good at anything. Look, I can clearly see that you’re some Chinese guy trying to support home-made products, and more power to you. But you know, your desire for it to succeed doesn’t stop it being a mediocre product. There is a reason why WeChat failed to make progress and gain users in other countries, even though Tencent tried hard, even, I think, paid Christiano Ronaldo to promote it.

You are keeping saying WeChat is bloated and battery hog. But you failed to provide any evident to show it is.

WeChat is primary for Chinese users. It is fine. It is like Line app is primary used in Korea, Japan and Taiwan, iMessage is primary used in North America.

Secondly: there is no denying western audience is very suspicious about anything Chinese made. Heck, you have official from United Stats saying subway trains manufactured inside United States by Chinese company are dangerous for privacy. There are unbelievable amount prejudices from western government, media and average citizens.

Thirdly: If you don’t like WeChat, that is fine. I don’t like Facebook, i think it is junk, so I don’t use it. No one is forcing you to use WeChat. If competitors are so good, you should use other app. Main while, stop pretending that Chinese people will automatically choose western made app or western made things over locally made.

Reactions: peanuts_of_pathos

mrchinchilla

macrumors 6502
Mar 6, 2009
+1 for Wechat being trash. I can also attest to the extremely poor quality of a lot of Chinese-developed apps (both mobile and for PC) to the point that I have had to reset friends’ devices because those ‘popular’ apps they installed are badly programmed CPU hogs, battery hogs, and in some cases, literally malware/spyware.

That isn’t to say that apps made by other countries can’t be bad. I agree with you on Facebook - like the aforementioned apps, it’s bloated spyware. But unlike Wechat, it isn’t used by absolutely everyone in a particular country.
It is like Line app is primary used in Korea, Japan and Taiwan
Korea uses KakaoTalk, not Line.
Secondly: there is no denying western audience is very suspicious about anything Chinese made. Heck, you have official from United Stats saying subway trains manufactured inside United States by Chinese company are dangerous for privacy. There are unbelievable amount prejudices from western government, media and average citizens.
That ‘prejudice’ against China you’re alluding to is the result of decades of Chinese industrial/corporate espionage and the brazen stealing of state secrets, and is solely aimed at the Chinese regime, not the Chinese people.

And you mentioned earlier that Baidu is the best search engine for Chinese, but I completely disagree, if you’re actually doing important research, Google is hands down the best search engine regardless of language. It has the advantage of piggybacking off all of Google’s unrivalled, nefarious data-hoarding prowess and—generally—doesn’t censor results.

Last edited:

Aoligei

macrumors 6502a
Jul 16, 2020
+1 for Wechat being trash. I can also attest to the extremely poor quality of a lot of Chinese-developed apps (both mobile and for PC) to the point that I have had to reset friends’ devices because those ‘popular’ apps they installed are badly programmed CPU hogs, battery hogs, and in some cases, literally malware/spyware.

That isn’t to say that apps made by other countries can’t be bad. I agree with you on Facebook - like the aforementioned apps, it’s bloated spyware. But unlike Wechat, it isn’t used by absolutely everyone in a particular country.

Korea uses KakaoTalk, not Line.

That ‘prejudice’ against China you’re alluding to is the result of decades of Chinese industrial/corporate espionage and the brazen stealing of state secrets, and is solely aimed at the Chinese regime, not the Chinese people.

And you mentioned earlier that Baidu is the best search engine for Chinese, but I completely disagree, if you’re actually doing important research, Google is hands down the best search engine regardless of language. It has the advantage of piggybacking off all of Google’s unrivalled, nefarious data-hoarding prowess and—generally—doesn’t censor results.

So much so for espionage and stealing safe secrets. It is like no one else is doing.

Remember when NSA spying on German chancellor’s phone? United State is notorious for its spy network.

So why is things made in United State is so trustworthy? No one has right to lecture us, especially westerners. You guys have no moral high ground to tell us what to do.

And the thing about “not about Chinese people, it is about Chinese government”. If you are attacking our institutions, it is attack on Chinese people. To us, our government representing Chinese people.

mrchinchilla

macrumors 6502
Mar 6, 2009
So much so for espionage and stealing safe secrets. It is like no one else is doing.

Remember when NSA spying on German chancellor’s phone? United State is notorious for its spy network.

So why is things made in United State is so trustworthy? No one has right to lecture us, especially westerners. You guys have no moral high ground to tell us what to do.

And the thing about “not about Chinese people, it is about Chinese government”. If you are attacking our institutions, it is attack on Chinese people. To us, our government representing Chinese people.
I’m not saying other countries don’t engage in espionage, but the extent, the scale and overt manner in which the Chinese have carried out such operations in recent times is pretty much unprecedented.

I’m also not American, thank you very much. And I think that lumping the entire Western Hemisphere together as one people or single entity (“westerners”) shows incredible prejudice and ignorance on your part, which is only further proven by your final sentence, which reads like something you’d find in a meme about wumaos.

Reactions: Captain Trips

Aoligei

macrumors 6502a
Jul 16, 2020
I’m not saying other countries don’t engage in espionage, but the extent, the scale and overt manner in which the Chinese have carried out such operations in recent times is pretty much unprecedented.

I’m also not American, thank you very much. And I think that lumping the entire Western Hemisphere together as one people or single entity (“westerners”) shows incredible prejudice and ignorance on your part, which is only further proven by your final sentence, which reads like something you’d find in a meme about wumaos.

There is no other countries has capability to conduct world wide espionage than United States and its allies. To say China has capability to overtake United State and its allies in terms of espionage, it is grossly over stated.

unclemax

macrumors 6502
Sep 25, 2015

I am sorry to say, but a lot of Chinese people are prejudiced against foreigners, and it shows. They are absolutely impervious to any criticism by a foreigner. There are so many ”lines of defense” when it comes to arguing, e.g. for a white westerner first they assume you’re dumb (the Asian intellectual supremacy meme), then they assume you’re ”low class” / uneducated, then they assume you don’t understand China, then they assume you hate China. I’m so used to it now. Like here, there’s no conceivable way you can persuade that guy that WeChat is crap.

unclemax

macrumors 6502
Sep 25, 2015
There is no other countries has capability to conduct world wide espionage than United States and its allies. To say China has capability to overtake United State and its allies in terms of espionage, it is grossly over stated.
Just a bunch of sweeping generalizations. The truth is it is impossible to effectively spy on China, the government keeps tabs on all foreigners in the country, all your suspicious words, contacts or actions will be reported by paranoid members of the public, and many places in the country outright ban foreigners (like some tourist areas near military installations, I guess, are only open to Chinese nationals). A foreigner in China sticks out like a sore thumb. On the other hand, Chinese don’t stand out in the US, and being the free country it is you’re free to do whatever you want until you get caught in the act.

mrchinchilla

macrumors 6502
Mar 6, 2009
Hah, nice to see you realised how hypocritical your original comment was and deleted it.

And when it comes to espionage, it doesn’t require a particular technological advantage or anything like that, it requires people. Lots of people. Especially people who are citizens of the target country but are still blindly patriotic to “the motherland” and willing to betray their newly adopted nation. :)

I am sorry to say, but a lot of Chinese people are prejudiced against foreigners, and it shows. They are absolutely impervious to any criticism by a foreigner. There are so many ”lines of defense” when it comes to arguing, e.g. for a white westerner first they assume you’re dumb (the Asian intellectual supremacy meme), then they assume you’re ”low class” / uneducated, then they assume you don’t understand China, then they assume you hate China. I’m so used to it now. Like here, there’s no conceivable way you can persuade that guy that WeChat is crap.
Oh, I’m well aware. It’s more for exposure so others can see how ridiculous these people are.

Aoligei

macrumors 6502a
Jul 16, 2020

For year, western has been demonizing China. Whatever China does, they will always find way to criticize China.

For example, in the beginning of the pandemic, China put cities into lock down, what western media say? Chinese governments is restricting its own citizens’ freedom! Then they do the same thing.

China sending vaccine to other countries? Then western media label China using vaccine as propaganda tool.

China helping Africa? It is debt trap, it is neo-imperialism! Old imperialist criticizing China been imperialistic. How funny is that!

So are you saying we should take foreigner’s criticism seriously? Give me a break.

Aoligei

macrumors 6502a
Jul 16, 2020
Hah, nice to see you realised how hypocritical your original comment was and deleted it.

And when it comes to espionage, it doesn’t require a particular technological advantage or anything like that, it requires people. Lots of people. Especially people who are citizens of the target country but are still blindly patriotic to “the motherland” and willing to betray their newly adopted nation. :)

Oh, I’m well aware. It’s more for exposure so others can see how ridiculous these people are.

No I delete part of the original, because this is could interrupted as provocative and maybe get banned. That is all.

unclemax

macrumors 6502
Sep 25, 2015
For year, western has been demonizing China. Whatever China does, they will always find way to criticize China.

For example, in the beginning of the pandemic, China put cities into lock down, what western media say? Chinese governments is restricting its own citizens’ freedom! Then they do the same thing.

China sending vaccine to other countries? Then western media label China using vaccine as propaganda tool.

China helping Africa? It is debt trap, it is neo-imperialism! Old imperialist criticizing China been imperialistic. How funny is that!

So are you saying we should take foreigner’s criticism seriously? Give me a break.
>you just hate China!
Like clockwork. Two things. First, I never criticized China, I criticized some Chinese apps. So quit throwing accusations. Second, that’s incredibly racist. You invalidate my arguments solely because I am a foreigner? What do you want me to say to that? What can anyone discuss with you after that? Take a hike, pal.

Go online and go Twitter. You will see plenty of Chinese mainland users.

Your false accusations is simple sheer ignorance. You are base on the impression that Chinese people are uninformed.

iMessage is only popular inside North America. People in other countries don’t need use iMessage or whatever.

I have lived in Canada for past 20 years. I never ever think western apps are better. I don’t really need Twitter, I don’t go Facebook, I occasionally log into Instagram etc. But WeChat, Alipay, Taobao etc are must download.
Btw here you mentioned that you‘ve lived in Canada for 20 years now. Did you make it up? Otherwise when you say “we” it sounds incredibly hypocritical.

JimmyHook

macrumors 6502a
Apr 7, 2015

If the Chinese government represented Chinese people, then free and fair elections would exist. They don’t. Your government is a stain on humanity

Aoligei

macrumors 6502a
Jul 16, 2020
If the Chinese government represented Chinese people, then free and fair elections would exist. They don’t. Your government is a stain on humanity

What does free and fair election do to you?

Half of republicans don’t believe last election was free and fair election. So is United State government is a stain on humanity?

When United States actively trying to interfering other nations’s internal affairs do you think other can conduct fair election?

What did election helped you? Black people are still being actively suppressed. Your elected official are fighting for meaningless staffs, like debating mask ban or debating COVID is real. Does free and fair election helps middle class? Does your elected official ever trying to help homeless?

What a joke. Chinese government helped elevate millions people out of property. Chinese government transformed China from being occupied by colonial power to modern society. Chinese people are more proud of their heritage than ever before.

Frantisekj

macrumors 6502a
Mar 9, 2017
Deep inside Europe :-)
Government can choose based on national interest.

Platforms like Twitter and YouTube receive covert directives from the US intelligence community and the State department to steer the public opinion and to manufacture consent for the benefit of the US state and US national interests, often to the detriment of foreign states, even ally states.

Things like this has been used widely in the US to manufacture public consent for war. Think Iraq, think Iran. They are doing it now to prepare the public for a potential war with China.

In Psychology, this is called, Systematic Desensitization. Before you know it, they will imprint that idea into you, and you will feel that it was your idea all along.
But don’t be fooled people. On top levels there is no fight but cooperation. Capitalist, communist or dictator, doesn’t matter. You can see it now all around the world. They will continue poking dirt on each other in media but shake hands behind curtain.

Captain Trips

macrumors 68000
Jun 13, 2020
I love how the disk logo basically looks like a flashlight. Meaning that they will be searching your files.
And then when the app finds files of interest to the authorities, the app icon changes to a pair of handcuffs...

Captain Trips

macrumors 68000
Jun 13, 2020
What happens if you don’t install those apps?
I think it will go something like this:

Comrade, why have you not installed and used these wondrous apps provided you by the Motherland?

Do you not love your country? Think of the hard work that glorious citizens of the illustrious Motherland have done to provide you with these fantastic apps!

Ah, I see you have been infected with capitalist, imperialist progranda and lies.

Come with us to the re-education center - no, no, no, it will be fun! Lots of pictures of our bare-chested manly leader and fun doctrine to absorb. You will be better, trust me.

Reactions: mtneer

MacBH928

macrumors G3
May 17, 2008
isn't this like... unfair advantage and monopolistic to other developers?

Tech198

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2011
"The law requires software to be preinstalled on all devices sold in Russia, including smartphones, tablets, desktops, and smart TVs."

ok, but if the law requires, then why give them a chance to skip installing ?

isn't this like... unfair advantage and monopolistic to other developers?

It's not unfair, because they are not forced to install.. They're asked (for now)

But i agree.. It should be not be asked, if required by law.

Packers1958

macrumors 68000
Apr 16, 2017
South Dakota
Apple sucking up to governments to make an extra buck. They only care about social justice in western countries and bow to China and Russia and ignore social justice in both those countries. Cowards.

Cancelled
Aug 17, 2016
>In China people use Chinese apps anyway.
Because all the foreign competitors are banned.

>apps that are so much more powerful than anything the West has to offer.
According to who? The Chinese people that aren’t allowed to get any taste of the competition? For example, WeChat is absolutely ghastly in addition to being a battery killer. But even without getting into arguments about preferences, your statement is demonstrably false. There is no Chinese search engine that can compete with Google in any language other than Chinese, eg Baidu is absolutely abysmal when it comes to English.
Baidu is trash not because they can’t be a good search engine, but because in China, platforms don’t want users to discover things outside of their platforms.

For example, imagine Amazon is so big it contains every expect of life. You can rely on Amazon for everything physical or virtual from the day you are born to the day you die. Then Amazon would try very hard without breaking the law to make sure that it’s just difficult and confusing enough for you to discover there is something called Google. And Google would do the same. You may realize even websites in China are dying because they all want you to download the app, you can’t even read the whole article or answer without jumping to the app.

Therefore, in China, there is no need for, and no incentive for building a good search engine. Everything you need is provide to you and you know where to find it within a few clicks.

What the Chinese companies are really good at and what they put their best Engineers on, is AI. Recommendation engines from Chinese apps are so intelligent it’s scary. From apps like Netease Music to TicTok AI is very good. If you think Apple Music algorithm is bad, Spotify is good, NetEase music would be god-like.

Another aspect is digital and mobile payment. The ubiquitousness is revolutionary. In China the economy is more efficient because every transaction every transfer is free for both the client and the merchant. No credit card fees no account fees.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.