Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

baxterboy

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 22, 2023
Anyone ran into the problem with their phone going from 100% to 1% and then remaining at 1% for another 12 hours of use?

dz5b609

macrumors 6502a
Mar 22, 2019
That's a telltale sign of an EOL battery (it basically can't hold its amp which gives weird behavior like this), you'd want to replace that for a new battery. Quite impressed if it lasted 7 years though.

Reactions: baxterboy

baxterboy

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 22, 2023
That's a telltale sign of an EOL battery (it basically can't hold its amp which gives weird behavior like this), you'd want to replace that for a new battery. Quite impressed if it lasted 7 years though.
I just found this recommended solution:
  1. Let your iPhone’s battery drain to 0%
  2. Plug in the charger and charge to 100% without removing it from power
  3. Don’t unplug the iPhone for another hour after the battery is full.
  4. Once unplugged, use the phone normally until 0% again.
  5. Recharge the phone to 100% and give it an hour. As long as you don’t unplug the battery during charging, it should be fixed. In case the charging process was interrupted, repeat the process again.
I am a bit apprehensive about draining the battery numerous times to zero as I thought this wasn't too good for it.

Reactions: ConcernedCitizen

dz5b609

macrumors 6502a
Mar 22, 2019
  5. Recharge the phone to 100% and give it an hour. As long as you don’t unplug the battery during charging, it should be fixed. In case the charging process was interrupted, repeat the process again.
I am a bit apprehensive about draining the battery numerous time to zero as I thought this wasn't too good for it.
You can always try, but it's never a software issue (which is what this 'solution' suggests), so it may fix it temporarily but you're gonna notice the same or other weird battery behavior in the coming time.

Draining your battery indeed isn't optimal but these batteries and iPhone have protections in place which means that a battery that's 0% isn't actually empty to the point where it would harm the battery. But in an ideal world you'd want your phone between 20-80% most of the time. Although in the end not worrying about it and just replacing the battery every 3-5 years is probably worth it for most people (most people replace their phones in that timespan anyway).

baxterboy

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 22, 2023
I'm going with the battery needs replacement option
Yes, it does Bugeyes, but you have to take into consideration that I'm Scottish [aka - cheap ;)].
Some folks have said buying a new original 6s replacement battery might not be a good idea because the mah is low and newer OS and apps drain it quickly.

FeliApple

macrumors 68040
Apr 8, 2015
I am a bit apprehensive about draining the battery numerous times to zero as I thought this wasn't too good for it.
Yeah, I’d do this once, so just 100-0-100, but battery health is irrelevant as far as battery meters go - at least on iOS 10. Try calibrating the battery meter first.

It’s worth noting that you shouldn’t expect wonders with a 6s on iOS 15 regardless of battery health status - it just isn‘t good.

Andeddu

macrumors 68000
Dec 21, 2016
Yes, it does Bugeyes, but you have to take into consideration that I'm Scottish [aka - cheap ;)].
Some folks have said buying a new original 6s replacement battery might not be a good idea because the mah is low and newer OS and apps drain it quickly.
It’s fine. I have a 6S on 15.7.2 and I get around 5-6 hours of SoT depending on how much I am on LTE or WiFi. The phone is definitely useable as a daily driver if you are not a super heavy user. The mAh is low compared to modern phones which are generally larger but it’s still fine by today’s standards as long as you are not constantly scrolling social media feeds.

The battery is worth replacing if you are planning to keep your 6S.

dz5b609

macrumors 6502a
Mar 22, 2019
I mean if you're fine with your current battery (which is at 70%) then the new one (original or not) will feel miles better.

Also if you're a bit handy yourself you can buy a battery+tools at ifixit for 28 pounds. Apple themselves charge 49 pounds and a random apple repair shop will probably charge you somewhere around 30-40 pounds. Still a lot cheaper than a new phone if you're still happy with your phone.

Last edited:

Alpha Centauri

macrumors 65816
Oct 13, 2020
Yes, but you can only update to 15.7.2 anyhoo. Start of last year I took my OG SE to Apple to have the battery (80%) replaced as I was sick and tired of constant tethering (charging) at home>car>work>car>home>identidem

Things were once again happy, charging only once/day. Just being freed from anxiety/ planning of only having >2hrs un-tethered use was worth it alone. I was already on iOS 15 but you know, there was a battery performance drop brought on by a 15.X update of sorts. Cannot recall which .X exactly it was. Mind you, I've been for years running it on the brink of the 64GB capacity. Since quite recently I bought a new phone and the SE has become a spare/ home-device.

The replacement isn't renowned for it's grand battery life so my plan will be replace its battery in 2 yrs, not again wait 5 yrs to do so. Just do it or let it RIP :)

AlixSPQR

macrumors 65816
Nov 16, 2020
Sweden
Apple's own measurements are somewhat approximate, increasingly so when the battery is getting exhausted, but if you check with Coconut Battery you'll get an exact reading. A battery replacement will do the trick, I believe. Personally, I'd buy a PolarCell battery. They are excellent (I have bought several in the past).

iOZZY

macrumors regular
Mar 17, 2013
Stamford, England
Anyone ran into the problem with their phone going from 100% to 1% and then remaining at 1% for another 12 hours of use?
My 6S Plus did this immediately after updating from iOS 14.8 to 15.7.2 A discharge to 0% and a full charge to 100% fixed it luckily and has been fine since. The phone has a replacement ifixit battery with 100% health. No problems experienced with the 15.7.3 update.

However, I haven’t always been this lucky as this was the first symptom of my 1st gen SE battery failing. When this started it was soon after the phone just switched off and rebooted with the unexpected shutdown message.

baxterboy

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 22, 2023
My 6S Plus did this immediately after updating from iOS 14.8 to 15.7.2 A discharge to 0% and a full charge to 100% fixed it luckily and has been fine since. The phone has a replacement ifixit battery with 100% health. No problems experienced with the 15.7.3 update.

However, I haven’t always been this lucky as this was the first symptom of my 1st gen SE battery failing. When this started it was soon after the phone just switched off and rebooted with the unexpected shutdown message.

Actually, the phone had recently been updated when the problems started to occur.
And since discharging it twice to % and fully charging to 100% it has certainly improved it.

Andeddu

macrumors 68000
Dec 21, 2016
Actually, the phone had recently been updated when the problems started to occur.
And since discharging it twice to % and fully charging to 100% it has certainly improved it.
If you plan on keeping the phone as your daily driver you will require a battery replacement as 70% is poor especially on later iOS versions.

I would arrange a battery replacement with Apple if I were you as I don’t know how long they’ll offer the service on A9 phones. The 6 has been removed from the service so Apple will no longer offer battery replacements on that phone. I had my SE’s battery replaced last week because I wanted an OEM battery I can trust as going third party is a complete lottery.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.