Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

vsanders

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 18, 2008
I'm assuming this is a common problem, but I'll describe it just in case.

When my iPhone is near speakers, it leaks signal, or something along those lines, that causes my speakers to make awful crackly noises. For my home speakers, this is avoidable by just not having the phone near them. However, it's a real pain in my car when I'm trying to listen to music. I have a tape deck adapter so I can play the iPhone over the speakers and one of those little 3.5 adapters to deal with the recessed headphone jack. There is nowhere in my car that I can put the phone that is far enough from my speakers to avoid the distortion. Sometimes I fix it by covering one corner of the phone with my hand, but that makes driving very awkward. Does anyone have any tips or suggestions on how to deal with this issue?

viggen61

macrumors 6502
Jul 24, 2002
New Jersey
It's the unshielded wires on the Cassette adapter that are picking up the signal. Many, if not most, other GSM phones will do that, though if Leo Laporte and the TWITs are any indicator, the iPhone might be the worst of the lot.

The best defense, I have found, is a direct connection from the iPod into the stereo. One of my cars has an Alpine with their Full Speed iPod dock cable, and my GSM phones (not iPhones, though) don't make a peep through that, yet they always did with the cassette adapter.

Another thing you might try is an FM modulator.

The only other thing that comes to mind, if you can't avoid having that wire, would be a ferrite core (Radio Shack or another electronics supplier) that you wrap the wire to the cassette adapter around. I'm not an expert on those, but it might provide enough interference protection for your purposes.

Good luck! :apple:

operator207

macrumors 6502
Jul 24, 2007
It's the unshielded wires on the Cassette adapter that are picking up the signal. Many, if not most, other GSM phones will do that, though if Leo Laporte and the TWITs are any indicator, the iPhone might be the worst of the lot.

The best defense, I have found, is a direct connection from the iPod into the stereo. One of my cars has an Alpine with their Full Speed iPod dock cable, and my GSM phones (not iPhones, though) don't make a peep through that, yet they always did with the cassette adapter.

Another thing you might try is an FM modulator.

The only other thing that comes to mind, if you can't avoid having that wire, would be a ferrite core (Radio Shack or another electronics supplier) that you wrap the wire to the cassette adapter around. I'm not an expert on those, but it might provide enough interference protection for your purposes.

Good luck! :apple:

I would disagree that its "the worst". My old Nextel i90 (not the c, just the b&w older blue version) was horrible with bleeding into anything electrical. So was the 4 other Nextel phones I used before and after that one.

My iPhone will interfere with electrical devices, though no where near as much as those Nextel phones.

megfilmworks

macrumors 68020
Jul 1, 2007
Sherman Oaks
It's not the iPhone. It's the lack of shielding on your stereo. All GSM phones have this squitter signal. If one phone is louder than another it is due to the radio and antennae being stronger. Louder = stronger signal.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.