Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gizboy2db

macrumors newbie
Feb 23, 2010
I assume that what I am going to ask is a beginners question coz i dont think things can be that simple.

Could I use my iphone sim card where i have unlimited internet access for 12 euros on a Mifi devide? So i could feed laptop and ipad for that cheap!

i fear iphone sim and data sims are different stuff

lozion

macrumors 6502
Jan 12, 2006
Montreal, Canada
I assume that what I am going to ask is a beginners question coz i dont think things can be that simple.

Could I use my iphone sim card where i have unlimited internet access for 12 euros on a Mifi devide? So i could feed laptop and ipad for that cheap!

i fear iphone sim and data sims are different stuff

yes you could, provided your carrier allows it. I used mine on a mifi no problem. 12 euros for unlim data? Wow, thats really cheap.

poppap

macrumors member
Nov 1, 2007
What's the difference between APN settings of "wap.cingular", "isp.cingular", and "phone"?

I'm using "phone" and it's working fine. Are there advantages to the other settings?

wap.cingular and phone is basically the same and works with SIM with iPhone data plan.
isp.cingular only works with SIM with air card data plan

gizboy2db

macrumors newbie
Feb 23, 2010
yes you could, provided your carrier allows it. I used mine on a mifi no problem. 12 euros for unlim data? Wow, thats really cheap.

Thx for the answer i guess i will give it a try. I just have to pay 49 euros for a mifi 2352 anyway (customer points).

It sounds really cheap to me, maybe the sim is not a 3g gotta check it though

spinedoc77

macrumors G4
Jun 11, 2009
Anyone get this to work in reverse? Using an ipad sim in an iphone? I installed a ipad sim into my iphone last night and had ATT activate it, phone calls in/out work just fine and Edge internet works fine, but no 3g, I keep getting a message that I'm not subsribed to a data plan.

Bankerts

macrumors member
Sep 8, 2008
Anyone get this to work in reverse? Using an ipad sim in an iphone? I installed a ipad sim into my iphone last night and had ATT activate it, phone calls in/out work just fine and Edge internet works fine, but no 3g, I keep getting a message that I'm not subsribed to a data plan.

You will get this message if you do not set up your APN. Off the top of my head, Settings -> Network -> (in here somewhere).

APN: wap.cingular
Username: wap@cingulargprs.com
Password: CINGULAR1

spinedoc77

macrumors G4
Jun 11, 2009
You will get this message if you do not set up your APN. Off the top of my head, Settings -> Network -> (in here somewhere).

APN: wap.cingular
Username: wap@cingulargprs.com
Password: CINGULAR1

This is the APN on the iphone? From what I understand I have to be unlocked on the iphone to get my APN settings, I'm not sure if there is a 3.13 unlock, I'll have to look around.

I know to change the APN settings on the ipad, but that's the easy part. The hard part is trying to get the ipad sim to work in the iphone with the iphone data plan.

spinedoc77

macrumors G4
Jun 11, 2009
Oddly enough I was walking to my car to go to an ATT store and replace my SIM as I was totally giving up on getting the ipad sim to work.

I gave it one last shot and tried safari, I'm in a downtown area with full 5 bars of 3g. Well I saw my connection flip over to edge for a second, then flip back to 3g and lo and behold IT WORKED! Not sure what happened but looks like the data provisioning finally came thru for some odd reason.

So now I have an ipad microsim in my iphone and the sim is tied to my iphone phone and data plan. It looks like maybe the data provisioning part takes a day or so to kick in.

eodoctor

macrumors newbie
Jun 4, 2010
iPhone sim in iPad - any extra charges from AT&T?

I just successfully cut out my daughter's 2g iPhone sim card and put it into my new iPad 3g. Everything works perfectly after changing the APN settings to the wap.cingular configuration. This seemed to be the best scenario possible because with an original 2g iPhone the unlimited data plan is only $20 a month. My only question is concerning the ability of AT&T to detect this and add extra data charges to my account. Has anyone here used an iPhone sim in the iPad long enough to see your next bill an can you confirm there were no extra charges? The reason I ask is because a couple of years ago I took my sim card out of my iphone and put it into an unlocked Google Dev1 Android phone (basically an unlocked version of T-Mobil's G-1) and used that sim to surf the web for a few days and ended up with massive charges on my bill. I called AT&T about it and they said that the reason for the charges was because the data plan was for an iphone only and not for use with any other phones. I told them I did not realize the data plan was only good for the iPhone and they refunded the charges. But I am just wondering if the same thing will happen with the iPad or will the iPad just look like an iPhone to AT&T and they won't notice the sim card swap. If anyone can confirm the billing consequences of doing this it would be much appreciated.

Thanks

T4R06

macrumors 65816
Oct 8, 2007
CT
I just successfully cut out my daughter's 2g iPhone sim card and put it into my new iPad 3g. Everything works perfectly after changing the APN settings to the wap.cingular configuration. This seemed to be the best scenario possible because with an original 2g iPhone the unlimited data plan is only $20 a month. My only question is concerning the ability of AT&T to detect this and add extra data charges to my account. Has anyone here used an iPhone sim in the iPad long enough to see your next bill an can you confirm there were no extra charges? The reason I ask is because a couple of years ago I took my sim card out of my iphone and put it into an unlocked Google Dev1 Android phone (basically an unlocked version of T-Mobil's G-1) and used that sim to surf the web for a few days and ended up with massive charges on my bill. I called AT&T about it and they said that the reason for the charges was because the data plan was for an iphone only and not for use with any other phones. I told them I did not realize the data plan was only good for the iPhone and they refunded the charges. But I am just wondering if the same thing will happen with the iPad or will the iPad just look like an iPhone to AT&T and they won't notice the sim card swap. If anyone can confirm the billing consequences of doing this it would be much appreciated.

Thanks

i dont know if your sim was provisioned on 3G. you say it came from iphone 2G. can you download the speedtest X HD and let us know what speed are you getting?

James Isabella

macrumors newbie
May 10, 2010
I just successfully cut out my daughter's 2g iPhone sim card and put it into my new iPad 3g. Everything works perfectly after changing the APN settings to the wap.cingular configuration. This seemed to be the best scenario possible because with an original 2g iPhone the unlimited data plan is only $20 a month. My only question is concerning the ability of AT&T to detect this and add extra data charges to my account. Has anyone here used an iPhone sim in the iPad long enough to see your next bill an can you confirm there were no extra charges?

Thanks

Its been a couple of days since this question was asked, and I'd like to know the answer as well. Anyone?

powerbooks

macrumors regular
Feb 23, 2009
Its been a couple of days since this question was asked, and I'd like to know the answer as well. Anyone?

My concern is that this kind of usage is not beneficial for you.

As far as I know, any iphone from AT&T will have both data and calling plan unless you unlocked your phone. So even your 2G data plan is $20, you still have to pay the rest of the calling plan. However, once you cut the 2G sim and use it in iPad, you can't use your calling function on your iPhone, nor on your iPad. Say you only pay $30 for a cheap calling plan (such as I do), you still pay total of $50 per month for your "unlimited" data plan on iPad. Just doesn't make sense......

Sure you can swap back and forth for phone calls when needed, but how about missing calls when the card is in iPad? How about you accidentally leave the phone and iPad apart for a day?

OceanView

macrumors 65816
Sep 16, 2005

Thanks

I don't think anyone will know until they get their bill.
Have you received yours?
If so, did they charge you extra?

I know that when I tried using my sim card in another phone and used data, AT&T did not charge me.
I was told by my friend that worked at AT&T that as long as I used the wap.cingular setting, AT&T could not detect which device was using the data.

avaloncourt

macrumors 65816
Oct 18, 2007
I was told by my friend that worked at AT&T that as long as I used the wap.cingular setting, AT&T could not detect which device was using the data.

Of course they know. This has been discussed frequently over the years here. If you take your iPhone SIM and put it in another phone for long enough your AT&T account accessed online will then state the new phone. That has happened for years.

2006LJRubicon

macrumors newbie
May 1, 2010
dumb question

someone please answer this dumb question..
i have the iphone 3gs, unlimited data plan.

what do i need, minimum

do i need to jailbreak the phone 1st?

do i need the ipad wifi or ipad wifi w 3g?

8CoreWhore

macrumors 68030
Jan 17, 2008
Tejas
someone please answer this dumb question..
i have the iphone 3gs, unlimited data plan.

what do i need, minimum

do i need to jailbreak the phone 1st?

do i need the ipad wifi or ipad wifi w 3g?

You don't need to JB your phone. You need an iPad 3G jailbroken. Then, you need to change the settings in the iPad to wap.cingular.

The phone doesn't change. The sim doesn't change. Only the iPad changes. You then swap the sim back and forth as needed.

Or, you can spend the money on a lift for that Ruby. :p

newagemac

macrumors 68020
Mar 31, 2010
You don't need to JB your phone. You need an iPad 3G jailbroken. Then, you need to change the settings in the iPad to wap.cingular.

The phone doesn't change. The sim doesn't change. Only the iPad changes. You then swap the sim back and forth as needed.

Or, you can spend the money on a lift for that Ruby. :p

I know this was posted a couple of weeks ago but this is not true. You do not need to jailbreak the iPad. It is an unlocked device so you already can change the APN settings. Someone correct me if this has changed.

iThinman

macrumors regular
Jun 27, 2010
Has anyone done this for long enough to "feel comfortable" that AT&T isn't going to lay some whoop ass on our bills?

tenguy

macrumors newbie
Mar 17, 2008
iPhone 4 & iPad sim card

Is it a no brainer swap? Could I just put my phone sim into my iPad & back just use the same data plan for both?

Boiler

macrumors regular
Apr 30, 2009
Would like to know also

Has anyone done this for long enough to "feel comfortable" that AT&T isn't going to lay some whoop ass on our bills?

Anyone do this for a month and get an unaffected iphone 4 bill?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.