Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

etaleb

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 7, 2012
guys - after some minor water damage, my phone is charging extremely slow. It takes about 15 mins to go from 50 to 52% - do you think it'll get better over time or should I take it to apple? I thought xs max was water proof

thx

DevinNj

macrumors 68000
Apr 27, 2016
New Jersey
They're water resistant, not waterproof. So it all depends to what extent the damage could've done, I'd contact Apple, doubtful it will get better on its own.

Reactions: HEK

DevinNj

macrumors 68000
Apr 27, 2016
New Jersey
Sorry but I wouldn’t even want to speculate. I would certainly contact Apple though and see what they say

tps3443

macrumors 65816
Jan 24, 2019
NC,USA
How much water did it go in? I’ve played with my iPhone 7 in the bathtub several times without an issue. I’ve even sprayed it with the water hose frequently too.

I imagine the XS is even more waterproof than my iPhone 7 is.

Azathoth123

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2018
Fountain City
Water resistant, not water proof, and resistance may decrease with age and other factors.

The SIM tray has been reported as a weak point WRT water, so I keep a piece of 1 mil polyamide tape over it for extra ‘insurance’, electrical tape would do as well. I use a case so it isn’t a cosmetic issue. And since I charge wirelessly most of the time, I keep a plastic port plug in the lightning port to keep pocket lint and maybe water out of it if I am unfortunate. You can get a lifetime supply of these plugs on Amazon for about $5 I think. As you might think, I’m an ‘ounce of prevention’ kind of fellow.

You might make sure that the lightning port is clean/free of debris/lint.

now i see it

macrumors G4
Jan 2, 2002
If the connection into the Lightning port or cable plug is dirty, it can cause resistance which will increase charging time

Mlrollin91

macrumors G5
Nov 20, 2008
Most likely full charge as AppleCare+ does not cover water damage. Course if you have AppleCare+ and you accidentally dropped phone where front and back glass got damage.

Water damage is covered under AC+ if using one of your two accidental incidents. Water damage is not covered under the standard manufacturer warranty.

HEK

macrumors 68040
Sep 24, 2013
US Eastern time zone
Water damage is covered under AC+ if using one of your two accidental incidents. Water damage is not covered under the standard manufacturer warranty.
I stand corrected. Regular one year warranty does not cover liquid damage. AppleCare+ does cover liquid damage.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.