Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

simonlaust

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 10, 2016
I've seen many threads with ppl having trouble with a worn out or not funktioning sound button on their iphones with the sound being stuck in either on or off.

My problem seems to be a bit different - see, the button works fine. The sound on/off logo appears everytime I use it. Except as a daily occurance the sound simply does NOT come back on when I turn the button back from mute DESPITE the logo (the big bell with "ringtones" logo - you know the one) appearing just as expected.

Hopefully someone can troubleshoot this problem?

My workaround is turning the phone off and on again with the button on "sound on" and then the sound comes back on.

cptn.nemo

macrumors regular
Jun 20, 2016
I had this problem a few times. The phone was stuck in dock mode, where it would send the sound out the charging port and not through the speakers. Unfortunately to fix it I had to edit files on my jailbroken phone. Not sure how to fix this on a non jailbroken device as my mom has the same problem. There might be a few tricks u can try with the power cords but essentially I think it just sends it to dock mode when u charge your phone then it never comes back out

cptn.nemo

macrumors regular
Jun 20, 2016
Oh you said it goes away when u flip the button. Sorry wrong issue. If it's going away when you're plugging and unplugging then the issue I described might be it. Have no idea about it getting stuck on mute

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.