Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

qyqgpower

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 14, 2021

This was a thread from 2018 and as you can see the storage performance from those freshly released Xs was excellent, eg R=1600 W=700 for 256GB model.

And this is my iPhone Xs 256GB with 80GB+ free space after almost 3 years.
7D01BFB5-1335-484D-974C-682B4B0CC18D.png
App name: PerformanceTest

I googled and didn’t find anything about how to restore the performance, or even any thread to discuss this issue, so can anybody shed some light?

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
Fresh SSD has all of their "cells" brand new, so it is when they have best performance.
After a few years of use, some "cells" have degraded over time and have a harder time to read/write.
You can basically think of this as the ageing process of a human: young and strong, can do lots of stuff. Grows older and loses strength to do things that could've been done when still young.

Reactions: now i see it

iterva

macrumors 6502
Jun 16, 2013
Sweden
This was a thread from 2018 and as you can see the storage performance from those freshly released Xs was excellent, eg R=1600 W=700 for 256GB model.

And this is my iPhone Xs 256GB with 80GB+ free space after almost 3 years.
Downloaded that app and ran it on my XS 256GB with 167GB free space. I got it sometime around April/May 2019. I got Read 523 and Write 498 and it runs just fine in day to day use.

As to the issue as you described it i have nothing to add since @Shirasaki has already provided a excellent answer to that.
In general i recommend friends/family to stay away from any kind of benchmark apps unless trying to track down an issue they might be having since these kind of apps mainly seems to result in most users having anxitety for no reason really :)

mprime_17

macrumors member
Oct 5, 2018
iPhone's do not use SSD's. They use flash storage.
Both are nand.

Unless Apple is using very low-quality nand cells (I know they use TLC but that doesn't say much) or somehow iOS does a LOT of writing (even with sufficient free space), there shouldn't be any tangible degradation at this point.

On the other hand, Apple does use some space to create an SLC cache but I don't know if it's permanent or just when needed. Maaaaaaybe the first test was using that cache meanwhile your recent one doesn't.

RoboWarriorSr

macrumors 6502a
Feb 23, 2013
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.