Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

famous600

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 8, 2010
Anyone throw the new LTE SIM cards in the iphone 5 yet? How are the speeds? Just put two on order and havent seen much about the fact that they offer LTE now anywhere.

spinedoc77

macrumors G4
Jun 11, 2009
Don't bother with ST, they are a major hassle to deal with, ESPECIALLY with iphones. Their data speeds are consistently slower than ATT, even prepaid ATT, I tested both services extensively and there are tons of anecdotal reports over on howardforums. They have that weird "unlimited" data policy which is really loosely 100mb/day, 1gb/month but they can and do arbitrarily cut off your data. Good luck getting customer support, but if you don't mind 1-2 hours of hold time to speak to "Thomas" with a heavy indian accent then be my guest.

GoPhone at $60 is much nicer, go to callingmart.com and get the refills for $57 out the door, no tax/fees, and sometimes you can get sales for even cheaper.

famous600

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 8, 2010
Don't bother with ST, they are a major hassle to deal with, ESPECIALLY with iphones. Their data speeds are consistently slower than ATT, even prepaid ATT, I tested both services extensively and there are tons of anecdotal reports over on howardforums. They have that weird "unlimited" data policy which is really loosely 100mb/day, 1gb/month but they can and do arbitrarily cut off your data. Good luck getting customer support, but if you don't mind 1-2 hours of hold time to speak to "Thomas" with a heavy indian accent then be my guest.

GoPhone at $60 is much nicer, go to callingmart.com and get the refills for $57 out the door, no tax/fees, and sometimes you can get sales for even cheaper.

I'm sure you have read and heard different things. However your situation has not happened to me in the last year I have used them. But they do have awesome customer service!

spinedoc77

macrumors G4
Jun 11, 2009
But they do have awesome customer service!

Seriously? Their customer service is atrocious. If you don't believe anyone on here, or the guys on howardforums all you have to do is go to Straight Talk's facebook page, it's full of people hating on them.

I also forgot to mention that you can't get MMS on iphones. You used to be able to go to unlockit website, but that doesn't work anymore. The only way to get MMS is to "hack" your APN, basically you have to put in a Tmobile SIM card to expose the hidden cellular APN settings, change them, then put in your ATT card again. And guess what, those settings are only good until you get an ATT carrier update and then you lose internet and MMS until you hack them in again. I'm not sure if you can do it thru jailbreak, but I haven't jailbroken in a long time.

ST's customer service OFFICIAL line on the iphones is that the do NOT support MMS on them.

SimplyiOS

macrumors member
Jan 22, 2012

I haven't had any of these concerns that you claim with straight talk. Data speeds are absolutely identical to AT&T's postpaid service. I have the same HSPA + speeds I had previously with postpaid (5-9mbps). MMS doesn't work in factory form, you're right, but as you stated, a quick swap to a TMobile SIM and plugging in the correct APN's clears that right up. MMS and data are working fine here, zero concerns (iPhone 5, iOS 7). The customer service certainly isn't the best, but still is well worthwhile, especially given the savings.

To answer the original posters question, I have ordered a new "LTE SIM" and it should be here later in the week. I purchased it as a backup, so I wouldn't have to worry about the SIMs going scarce again, not necessarily for the LTE. From what I have been reading, a new SIM is NOT necessary to obtain LTE speeds, for most. A call to straight talk to have your account switched to allow LTE, is what most are reporting that needs to be done. I plan to do this here shortly and test it out.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.