Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AnAppleChomper

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 9, 2022
Previously: I can't open altstore, it crashes on startup. Cydia used to be in here.

I can't update the version of my iPhone XR 64 GB. It's currently 13.5 and been this way. Updating it via iTunes just resulted in an error 4000 (undocumented). My model # is Mt472LL/A

Updating internally from the iphone is impossible. It just says unable to check for update. The reason for this is almost certainly because while this phone was previously jailbroken (with unc0ver) and I had previously installed something that told the updates to **** because it was jailbroken and updating it at the time would have killed the jailbreak. So after the hundreth time settings pops up with a question I just completely killed the update checking, something like that?

However, now it is stuck in limbo. In some ways, those old cydia packages must still be active in some residual way.

I forgot what I did exactly to cause this as it was a long time ago, but I'm unable to leave the jailbreak behind by updating and I'm also unable to jailbreak it fully.

So I just re-did the entire jailbreak process after un-trusting alt store and having altstores files be reportedly deleted by the iPhone. I did the whole altstore and unc0ver process as if I'm jailbreaking it from scratch again. So now I'm back with a working Cydia and altstore, but all the tweaks I last used like winterboard are of course not there... I don't know what that old tweak I had was.

So that's where I am now. Could anyone provide suggestions? I see there's something called OTADisabler and OTADisabler Disabler but I'm scared to try.

The jailbreak doesn't work as altstore itself does not work. The phone itself does work, however it simply can't be updated.

Last edited:

AnAppleChomper

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 9, 2022
Yeah updating does not work via any method possible... I believe as stated in OP it must have been an old cydia package I installed that made the updates ****. But I don't remember what it was.

Does anyone know what I can do. I was thinking of backing up and full wiping my phone. Problem is that I don't know if the same issue would occur again though after restoring from backup.

BrianBaughn

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2011
Baltimore, Maryland
My advice is don't restore from a backup after restoring from new. That will prevent any jailbreak stuff from being on your iPhone. It will also prevent any corrupt iOS files that might be present in your current situation.

I have heard of Windows users falling back to an older version of iTunes 12 for such issues. I don't know how to get an older version, though.

Ultimately, you may have to get that iPhone connected to a Mac for a restore.

AnAppleChomper

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 9, 2022
Sorry whaddya mean? I haven't tried restoring from a backup at all. But what I want is for my phone to not be in limbo. I would rather be on the new update than for my phone to be unable to use Jailbroken content at the moment. Are you saying that restoring from backup after restoring from new will guarantee that the jailbreak stuff is gone?

I am okay with that. And what do you mean by prevent any corrupt files? I'm confused by if you mean that means they will be present or not.

I would rather be out of this than trying to fix this at the moment.

And why would being connected to a mac be better? I am not aware.

BrianBaughn

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2011
Baltimore, Maryland
I know you haven't tried restoring from a backup…you haven't been able to update to iOS 15 at all. My advice is just don't do it if you ever get the update via restore as new to work. You asked, "Problem is that I don't know if the same issue would occur again though after restoring from backup."

A successful restore as new won't have any corrupt files or remnants of a jailbreak.

I don't know if a Mac would be better but the software and hardware are different…and both made by the same company. Windows users of iTunes get different issues that Mac users of iTunes. Also, iTunes hasn't existed in macOS starting with Big Sur released in November 2020. iOS updates are now performed via the macOS Finder and the Music app has supplanted the old iTunes app for music access and organization.

However, give this a shot with your Windows computer:

AnAppleChomper

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 9, 2022
LOL thank you.

It has been so long since I jb'd that I guess I forgot this automatic update thing was in unc0ver. Thanks a bunch.

All I did was restore that. And yeah reenable automatic updates.

Thanks a lot lmao

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.