Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

japaternoster

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 20, 2007
Hi,

I was using my iphone today and all of a sudden, it just froze. So I did what i would usually do and restarted it. Anyway, since then it has just been on the apple screen with the spinning wheel in the background.
So I have tried plugging it into the wall, nothing. Tried plugging it into computer, nothing.
I can get it into recovery mode but I have a Ziphone jailbroken and unlocked 1.1.3. Would it brick my phone if I restored it? Also, I am thinking about going legit with my contract, so if I did just restore in iTunes, would I be at a stage where my phone works and I can take it into an apple store and no one will know?

Also, if i do restore, will I have all of my contacts, texts etc? I recently got a macbook air, and so havent plugged my iphone into it's original computer (my macbook pro) in about 2 months, so it hasnt been 'backed up' in that long.

Basically the long and short of it is, what do people suggest that I do?

Thanks

Insulin Junkie

macrumors 65816
May 5, 2008
Mainland Europe
If it goes into recovery mode, restore normally. It won't brick your iphone, it will just restore it to factory settings. After that, re-jailbreak it if you want to have it jailbroken.

And yes, jailbreaking voids the warranty, however if you restore before bringing it in for repairs they won't notice.

philgilder

macrumors 68000
Sep 30, 2007
UK
Basically the long and short of it is, what do people suggest that I do?
all you can do is a restore

Would it brick my phone if I restored it?
no

Also, I am thinking about going legit with my contract, so if I did just restore in iTunes, would I be at a stage where my phone works and I can take it into an apple store and no one will know?
probably

Also, if i do restore, will I have all of my contacts, texts etc?
no

japaternoster

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 20, 2007
thanks for your replies.

I ended up plugging it into my macbook pro and thankfully it decided to ask me if i wanted to back it up. Then upgraded to 1.1.4, iLiberty+ unlocked it, and am now unlocked and jailbroken with all of my data (numbers, texts, history etc) as before

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.