Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Quester23

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 12, 2018
North Dakota
When I put my iPhone against my skin specifically he top right corner it feels warm. I borrowed a thermometer from a friend and t was reading 88-91 when using reddit, safari, and outlook for about 20-30 minutes.

I’ve read some people say it’s normal and others not so I was hoping some people could let me know or actually check the temp of there phone after 30 minutes with a thermometer with after use.

Thanks!

Room temp varies from 70-75

All are Fahrenheit

Mlrollin91

macrumors G5
Nov 20, 2008
88-91F really isn't that hot, especially if you are holding the phone while using it. Your hand is going to prevent the back from breathing, and it will continue to warm up. Until the phone hits about 100F, its okay to be warm. A little over 100F, I think about 103-105F the phone will dim the screen because its over heating. At about 110F it will shut off.

americafirst

Suspended
May 22, 2018
#backtheblue
88-91F really isn't that hot, especially if you are holding the phone while using it. Your hand is going to prevent the back from breathing, and it will continue to warm up. Until the phone hits about 100F, its okay to be warm. A little over 100F, I think about 103-105F the phone will dim the screen because its over heating. At about 110F it will shut off.
I would have assumed one's hand would act as a heatsink while holding their phone.

Mlrollin91

macrumors G5
Nov 20, 2008
I would have assumed one's hand would act as a heatsink while holding their phone.
Your hand is 96F, give or take a few degrees. Therefore, its warmer than the phone itself, so it would increase the temperature of the device of where your hand is holding it. Additionally, your hand is then blocking the cooler room temperature air from reaching the back of the device.

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida
When I put my iPhone against my skin specifically he top right corner it feels warm. I borrowed a thermometer from a friend and t was reading 88-91 when using reddit, safari, and outlook for about 20-30 minutes.

I’ve read some people say it’s normal and others not so I was hoping some people could let me know or actually check the temp of there phone after 30 minutes with a thermometer with after use.

Thanks!

Room temp varies from 70-75

All are Fahrenheit

You have back lighting and CPU use making this heat. Cell phones do not have fans to shed this heat so the phone has to radiate the heat through the body of the phone.

The temps you are talking about are well with in safety limits and are normal.

americafirst

Suspended
May 22, 2018
#backtheblue
Your hand is 96F, give or take a few degrees. Therefore, its warmer than the phone itself, so it would increase the temperature of the device of where your hand is holding it. Additionally, your hand is then blocking the cooler room temperature air from reaching the back of the device.
That makes sense thanks for the explanation

Reactions: cepenpark

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
What if it’s in a case?

I would say the majority of cases don’t actually trap heat, from the cases I have used, it was never a issue . When using a phone for an extended period of time, holding it in your hand also results in the phone “Feeling” warmer.

TheSkywalker77

macrumors 68030
Sep 9, 2017
I haven't used a thermometer to actually check the temp of my phone. :p
It gets quite warm after some YouTube or Netflix watching though, probably in the 80-90 degrees area.

It also gets really slow once it starts to heat up so probably thermally throttling too.

BR3W3R

macrumors regular
Jan 11, 2016

what if you use a case will your hand still warm it up?

Mlrollin91

macrumors G5
Nov 20, 2008
what if you use a case will your hand still warm it up?
Obviously it would. Everything I said applies. Your hand is preventing the phone from cooling down from room temperature air. If anything a case will amplify it.

rjp1

macrumors 6502a
Mar 27, 2015
You should try running Pokemon Go for a while and then feel it. It can get really hot. 88-91 is nothing to be concerned about.

Reactions: Mlrollin91
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.