Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

con2mac

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 17, 2008
hi all,

three weeks ago i bought an iphone (8g). Nevertheless i didn't activate it (with o2 in Uk) because threre are a couple of months to go with my Vodaphone contract.

lately i follow the news for the new 3G iphone. i am thinking to do the following thing: given that i don't need my iphone as a phone for the time being, i want to turn it to an Ipod Touch. How can i do that ? If later i am not satisfied with the 3G iphone, could i turn back to an iphone ? can you advise
my for any web page or application that does this thing ? please note that
the only thing that i can do by using my macbook is to browse internet, use iwork and itunes. nothing more nothing else.

i have also a pay-as-you-go sim card with orange. in case i have turned to an Ipod Touch, by putting at orange simcard can i use it as a pay-as-you-go phone ?

and something else. assuming that i'm in london downtown (around City, or Mayfair), are there any free wifi services that i can use ?

onlycopunk

macrumors 6502
May 10, 2008
Newtown
Pwnage tool, full tutorial and huge thread over in the hacks forum.

That will allow you to activate jailbreak and unlock your phone so you can use it strictly as an ipod.

Once unlocked you may put any sim card you wish into the phone and it will work, pay as you go, or not.

As far as WiFi in downtown London, it's anyone's guess. If it's anything like most downtown cities, pretty much every restaurant, bar, hotel, etc will have Wifi, whether or not it's free to use is a different story. But guaranteed in any downtown area there will be wifi.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.