Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ultra AleM

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 22, 2012
Italy
Hi, guys! Indecision: keeping my iPhone 14 Pro or trying Android? In that case, Google or Samsung? Everyone says Samsung has better hardware and software with One UI 5.1. Opinions? Thanks a lot!

tbayrgs

macrumors 604
Jul 5, 2009
Hi, guys! Indecision: keeping my iPhone 14 Pro or trying Android? In that case, Google or Samsung? Everyone says Samsung has better hardware and software with One UI 5.1. Opinions? Thanks a lot!
Not giving us much to go on. What’s most important for you in your mobile phone? What other types of devices do you use? Preferred apps/software?

Both Pixel and Galaxy S23 models are terrific options so give us some more details and we might be able to help steer you in a specific direction.

robvalentine

macrumors 6502
Nov 21, 2014
I have a pixel 7 pro and a S23 base model after I thought Pixel 7 pro was too big lol. Now I feel S23 is too small, but it's lighter (I imagine s23+ would also be lighter than Pixel 7 Pro). I much prefer the pixel software, the optical fingerprint sensor works better for me than on the samsung for some strange reason, and the camera is way better imo. However the S23 feels like a better quality phone in terms of build quality.

I switch between them a lot, as I still can't decide which to stick with, If I had gone for the S23+ I think I could live with the Slightly inferior camera

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
The correct answer of course is just get ALL OF THEM! ha ha.
Hey, I resemble that remark!

I am currently using my Pixel 7a. It's my favorite for now out of my S23 Ultra, 14 Pro Max. But it's definitely a mid range phone. The others have way better speakers and the S23 Ultra has a better modem. Better videos off of the iphone. Decent photos on all of them but the iphone has more options and is a good performer.

I just like the size of the Pixel 7a and the UI and the OS. But that's today. I get in moods and will possibly have a different favor next week.

My problem with the iphone 14 Pro Max is that the display is giving me excruciating migraines whenever I try reading on it for even a few minutes. I used to be able to read for around an hour. I'm gutted.

HouseLannister

macrumors regular
Jun 8, 2021
My advice: get an unlocked one at Best Buy or Amazon and use the 14-day return policy to see how well you like it. If you can afford to float one for a bit, buy both and do a little SIM-swapping to see which one you like better and then return the one you decided to pass on. Also, hold onto the iPhone for a bit if you can. You can always sell it or trade it to a site like Gazelle later if you decide you are truly done with it.

dumastudetto

macrumors 603
Aug 28, 2013
Los Angeles, USA
You can't go wrong with either. Me, personally, I would choose the s23 series of your choice. It's the smoothest out of all the android devices I have used.

Another advantage often overlooked:

Why have one app for each thing you need from a smartphone when you can have two or three apps pre-installed doing the same thing? If you buy a Pixel, you only get one messages app or calendar app or store app etc.

Apr 12, 2023
Another advantage often overlooked:

Why have one app for each thing you need from a smartphone when you can have two or three apps pre-installed doing the same thing? If you buy a Pixel, you only get one messages app or calendar app or store app etc.
How true. But it's really not that hard to remove the ones you do not want.

Apr 12, 2023
If you go into apps, you can disable the ones you don't want. It will only show up in your apps list then inside settings. It's no using any space then etc. It works really well, but I do get what you're saying.

Ludatyk

macrumors 603
May 27, 2012
Texas
Several of the duplicates are uninstallable. For example: Samsung Messages and Google Messages.
That example has been remedied already... Samsung decided to give up on their Messenging app in favor of Google Messages. But as @The point and shoot pro mention, apps can be disabled... which is similar to uninstalling. I have Gmail disabled... it doesn't show up in my search results and it won't load up in the background.

Last edited:

Vegastouch

macrumors 603
Jul 12, 2008
Las Vegas, NV
Hey, I resemble that remark!

I am currently using my Pixel 7a. It's my favorite for now out of my S23 Ultra, 14 Pro Max. But it's definitely a mid range phone. The others have way better speakers and the S23 Ultra has a better modem. Better videos off of the iphone. Decent photos on all of them but the iphone has more options and is a good performer.

I just like the size of the Pixel 7a and the UI and the OS. But that's today. I get in moods and will possibly have a different favor next week.

My problem with the iphone 14 Pro Max is that the display is giving me excruciating migraines whenever I try reading on it for even a few minutes. I used to be able to read for around an hour. I'm gutted.
I know you are a phone junky but if the iPhone is giving you migraines rather easily, I wonder why you keep it?
Migraines just suck so bad and id try and avoid them any way possible.
I just can't imagine having to go thru that every time you pick it up. I can't imagine having that issue.

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
I know you are a phone junky but if the iPhone is giving you migraines rather easily, I wonder why you keep it?
Migraines just suck so bad and id try and avoid them any way possible.
I just can't imagine having to go thru that every time you pick it up. I can't imagine having that issue.
It's the most consistently reliable camera and video camera I own, even over my DSLRs because those are old now with older sensors.

It's also the most consistently reliable iphone I have ever owned with the best battery life.

I can use it for a lot of functions without looking too long. I just need to move my shopping apps and accounts over to my Android phones. Which I will soon do. When Pixel 8 Pro comes out may fully move to that phone if it's not plagued with any particular problems as some Google phones are. And if its display doesn't give me problems.

I love my Apple Watch, though. I'm not giving up Apple entirely but I am contemplating making iphone my secondary phone.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.