Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

con

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 18, 2012
2 issues relating to missing contacts on my Pixel:

1. After switching from iPhone to Pixel in which I used the steps at https://support.google.com/pixelphone/answer/7129740?hl=en, I saw that a few contacts appeared to be unaccounted for in the transfer.

2. I planned to compare exports of the iPhone and Pixel contacts to see which contacts were missing, but the vcf export of the Pixel contacts (exported via Contacts app > Settings > Export) are missing many contacts (hundreds, although seemingly on the phone).

Any advice?

Last edited:

usagora

macrumors 601
Nov 17, 2017
Hmm, you might try repeating the process. Not sure if that will create duplicates on your Pixel or if it's "smart" enough not to import identical contacts. I guess if it does, then you could erase all the contacts on the Pixel and try again from scratch.

I'd be curious if it fails to import all contacts the second time, if they are the same ones that failed to import the first time.

con

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 18, 2012
Issue #2 in my original post actually seems false as I initially applied the wrong filtering.

There were a few other weird discrepancies during the comparison attempts, but ultimately I did not find the reason for the single-digit difference in the contacts count between iPhone and Pixel or even solid evidence of missing contacts, so have decided at this stage it's not worth further time investment.

Hmm, you might try repeating the process. Not sure if that will create duplicates on your Pixel or if it's "smart" enough not to import identical contacts. I guess if it does, then you could erase all the contacts on the Pixel and try again from scratch.

I'd be curious if it fails to import all contacts the second time, if they are the same ones that failed to import the first time.

The initial swap process didn't encounter any hitches or yield any errors so I guess it may be due to conversion idiosyncrasies so doing the same steps may yield the same results, but I appreciate the suggestion.

ian87w

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2020
Indonesia
I would start over and export contacts from iCloud.com and then import them yourself to contacts.google.com
I don't particularly trust these cross-platform export imports on Android, as they seem to always miss something.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.