Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

teezee09

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 9, 2008
So I've search and I know this is a fairly common question, but I didn't want to bump an extremely old thread. This afternoon, I dropped my iphone in a toilet (clean water). Yes, I know, I'm an idiot. Its a 4 gb that I got in early July so I'm actually impressed it has lasted this long. I couldn't get it to turn off for about 20 minutes because the screen was immediately unresponsive. I'm guessing that has caused some permanent damage. Also there is a straight diagonal line across half of the screen- when on that section is brighter/ almost appears burnt out. I thought it was visible water but it's not because it's a perfectly straight line. I called apple care because I assumed the phone was completely dead and admitted that I had dropped the phone in water and it was water damaged so my apple care was worthless. the customer service agent said that she wrote that information down and attached it with my number. I'm regretting that now because I think I could dry the phone off and play off the screen issue. The water sensor is completely white as the phone barely got wet but did get wet through the bottom port (the warning about airplane mode popped up several times while the phone was running). So any advice? Am I screwed for having called apple care? My friend who works at the store said he should be able to help me out but am I too far gone since I called applecare already? Spare me the guilt trip of cheating apple btw. I'm fully aware and am content with paying the $250 if needed, but I'd like to know my options. TIA

abz786

macrumors 6502
Sep 1, 2007
Alberta, Canada
ONE WORD: SUCKA!!!

lol jk jk

i think that you are, but i honestly dunno how appleacare is in that sense
but do kindly let us know what does transpire out of that

emt1

macrumors 65816
Jan 30, 2008
Wisconsin
Apple Care will do nothing and your credit card company will do nothing. The only way you could get out of this is if its covered under your homeowners insurance or if you took out insurance on it.

teezee09

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 9, 2008
you guys are too helpful. lol. Yea I know, pretty sure I'm screwed. And I knew applecare would be of 0 help to me but I wasn't thinking clearly. I figure it'd be stupid to take this out of homeowners insurance as in the scheme of things $250 is not very much (at least not to my parents. on a student's budget its plenty). My question was more am I screwed for having admitted water damage on the phone, even though there is no visible damage (the sensor is still as white as can be). I have connections in one of the local NY stores but I'm just not sure how much things can be fudged. Is that information most likely tied to my cell number now or just for that particular appointment that was made for me?

KD7IWP

macrumors 6502a
Mar 8, 2004
American living in Canada
You told them the truth, that is good. I remember hearing stories on MR about people who had other accidents and Applecare was good to them for being honest. I believe one individual crushed his iPhone in his LazyBoy chair and told a Mac Genius the truth and got a replacement. I don't think anyone should ever feel stupid for telling the truth.

jeffmc

macrumors 6502
Sep 21, 2007
sounds like your serial number got "red flagged"

highly unlikely it'll be replaced now

suimpreza16

macrumors newbie
Aug 5, 2007
I did the same exact thing not too long ago... and I also had a friend who who works for Apple as a genius... he said the same thing which is they can't cover water damage and my choices were either pay the 250$ or buy a new one... I just went with buying a new one

slbjr

macrumors newbie
Apr 14, 2008
how to deal with iphone water damage

I dropped my iphone in a toilet (yes, not good). I grabbed it within a few seconds but there was already water under the screen, phone shorting out, could not turn off, screen did not respond.

I took out the sim card, shook the phone in a towel, dried it with a hair dryer (not too hot), and then cooked it in the oven. Seriously!

I took a small baking pan, put about an inch of rice in the bottom to insulate the phone from the direct heat, and cooked it for 8 hours total at about 130 degrees. The phone works fine now! No trace of water except for the red half of the water sensor lit up (half white/half red now).

I hope you have my luck - and keep it away from water! I recommend turning it off if it will respond before you cook it, but I didn't have that option.

davidswelt

macrumors newbie
May 9, 2008
exactly the same happened here. The water sensor is pink/white, but the phone (extracted from the toilet within seconds) is working mostly fine.

The speakers (to play music) did not work initially, and the on-off switch at the top was malfunctioning; this resolved itself over night after it had some time to dry.

What remains is an unpleasant very dense array of bright, diagonal lines going across about 40% of the screen; this is visible when looking at it from an angle but not when looking at the screen directly. The unwanted visual effect does not affect the actual display panel but rather the backlight diffusor or some other layer. I'm still hoping for this to dry off.

Further suggestions appreciated.

teezee09

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 9, 2008
So I got lucky. My water sensor was white and the only water damage I had was through the bottom port. Dave, I had the same bright spots on my display and I'm guessing it was water that had gotten underneath the screen. I covered the phone in dry rice in a sealed tupperware container for 3 days to dry it out. After that the bright spot was gone, but the screen was dead. Because there was no visible water damage, I was able to get a free replacement on the spot from the genius bar. So my advice is to stop turning it on and leave it off in rice or something else that will draw the water out of it for a few days.

And I wasn't talking on the phone while peeing. I'm a chick so I have to sit down and it was in my back pocket. It just slipped out of a loose pocket after I flushed and stood up. Crappy luck, but hopefully the new one will have a better fate.

coachfreak

macrumors member
May 10, 2008
My sister did the same thing

So I got lucky. My water sensor was white and the only water damage I had was through the bottom port. Dave, I had the same bright spots on my display and I'm guessing it was water that had gotten underneath the screen. I covered the phone in dry rice in a sealed tupperware container for 3 days to dry it out. After that the bright spot was gone, but the screen was dead. Because there was no visible water damage, I was able to get a free replacement on the spot from the genius bar. So my advice is to stop turning it on and leave it off in rice or something else that will draw the water out of it for a few days.

And I wasn't talking on the phone while peeing. I'm a chick so I have to sit down and it was in my back pocket. It just slipped out of a loose pocket after I flushed and stood up. Crappy luck, but hopefully the new one will have a better fate.

Now I check my back pocket everytime to the bathroom and set it on the counter or in my purse. I am about to have it replaced (since I bought her a new one when it happened) but I am going to wait for the 3g version. If you pay the $250 now you will at least get a 8GB since there don't seem to be any 4GBs left.

davidswelt

macrumors newbie
May 9, 2008
What remains is an unpleasant very dense array of bright, diagonal lines going across about 40% of the screen; this is visible when looking at it from an angle but not when looking at the screen directly.

I'm glad to report that these have dried and disappeared over the course of three days.

So, my iPhone survived its swim (that is, the dunking) without damage. Only the water sensor is pink/white now.

teezee09

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 9, 2008
Now I check my back pocket everytime to the bathroom and set it on the counter or in my purse. I am about to have it replaced (since I bought her a new one when it happened) but I am going to wait for the 3g version. If you pay the $250 now you will at least get a 8GB since there don't seem to be any 4GBs left.

I'm not so sure that there are no more 4 gbs left. When I spoke with the Applecare lady a month or so ago when my phone took it's swim she said I would be sent an 8 gb IF there were no more 4s available. When I got it replaced in store, there was (no exaggeration) a small drawer full of 4 gb that he pulled my phone out of. If you send in a 4gb for repair, expect to receive a refurb 4 gb.

archieafroz

macrumors newbie
Jun 2, 2008
iphone In swimming Pool !!!

So here's the deal. I went for a swim keeping my iphone on my towel. Finished swimming and picked up my towel and and didnt realize my phone was on it. wiped myself and everything and was looking for my phone. And all of a sudden i stamped on something inside the pool to find out it was my IPHONE .

Took it out to find that it didnt respond to anything i did. And all of a sudden the phone went blank......

Went to my apartment and placed the phone in front of light bulb.

1st Day

Place the phone facing the back cover( apple logo ) towards and bulb and removing the sim card cover. Didnt turn it on or charged it .. NOTHING. DONT EVEN TOUCH IT... FORGET U HAVE AN IPHONE.

2nd Day

Woke up and turned my iphone towards the screen facing the light bulb. Dont turn it on or charge it. Still forget u have an IPHONE.

3rd Day

Woke up and changed the side again. The back cover facing the light bulb. Let it Go , dont touch it if u ever want it to work.

4th Day

Woke up and switched it on to find that there is still some water on the screen. But it switched and and tried to " slide to open" and it worked ... Well there was still some water in the screen and i knew the touch response would stop eventually if all the water hasent been evaporated. so kept the phone back in front on the light bulb ( the screen facing the bulb ).

5th day

woke up and tried to turn it on. Turned on well and the water thad evaporated too. And when i tried to " slide to open " it , it didnt respond to my touch. Grrr..... felt like throwing it out the window. I didnt . Placed it back in front of the light bulb facing the screen. Didnt touch it the whole day.

6th Day

woke up and prayed that it starts well. Switched on the Phone. The apple logo. "SLIDE TO OPEN" . and it opened and for the first time in 6 days i saw my home screen. Tried to open all the applications , and stated my music and kept it going on until battery went dead ( for any moisture left, the phone would heat up and drain it out ).

So thats my story hope it helps anyone out there. Just remember to place the IPHONE 6 Inches away from the bulb so it wouldnt heat it too much.

Well need any help let me know.

Thanx and best of luck

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.