Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

shawntp

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 23, 2011
I sent in my working (no cosmetic issues other than normal wear) iPhone 12 Pro Max 256 to the Apple partner trade-in program. I purchased the phone in November 2020 and still have apple care on my monthly payment for another month. I declined the revised trade-in value of $0 so they are sending it back to me.

The note I received stated "Operating system not functioning properly", I am not sure what that even means as the phone was factory reset. Did they just not want it and that is the 3rd party partners way of punting (or trying to get it for free)?

The only thing I ever noticed was the display sometimes being more difficult about touch input in its later years but wiping the screen always fixed things so I figure its not a physical problem. I do have Apple Care so I am not sure what to do without knowing what is wrong.

Any suggestions? Should I just have it looked over via Genius Appointment or try to get an in store trade-in credit towards something else?

Sammy in SoCal

macrumors 6502
Sep 18, 2021
100% take it into the store. They do not scrutinize your device like they did through the partner. Also if you have AppleCare just state your problems with your device to the personnel there and I wouldn’t be surprised if they swapped it for a refurbished one. Then keep the refurbish or get a revised trade in value for it

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.