Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Supp0rtLinux

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 28, 2008
So my phone has learned a bit about my traveling habits. When I leave for work now... it tells me if traffic is normal and how long it should take. Same when I leave for home in the evening. And on Saturdays it knows I like to go for a bike ride and tells me how long it'll take to get to the trailhead. It even knows that I see my g/f every Mon, Wed, & Fri evenings and when I leave home tells me how long it will take to get there. But this is all on my phone. Does anyone know if its possible to get this on my Apple Watch?

Supp0rtLinux

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 28, 2008
Which app are you using for this?
I'm not using an "app". Its the frequent location feature of IOS. If it was an app I'd be looking for Apple Watch support in the app. ITs built into IOS, but only seems to function on the phone. Its actually kind of convenient... tells me if my morning commute will be delayed or if I need to a different way home, etc. The only downside is that I visit my g/f a few nights a week, but IOS hasn't figured out which nights those are yet. So on a different night if I'm with my wife, my phone lights up and says "xx minutes to xx address right now". Thankfully the wife didn't notice. ;) Otherwise she'd be like "who you been seeing in xx". :p

Reactions: ladytonya

exxxviii

macrumors 65816
May 20, 2015
Very cool. Thank you. I had probably turned that off and forgotten about it years ago when the early security concerns were raised. I will give it another try.

Supp0rtLinux

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 28, 2008
I
Very cool. Thank you. I had probably turned that off and forgotten about it years ago when the early security concerns were raised. I will give it another try.
If you turn it on, give it a few weeks. It needs to monitor your frequent locations, times of the day, days of the week, etc before it can start assuming where you're going. Typically once you turn it on, it takes 2-3 weeks before you start to see the popups on the screen. If you have a BT device in your car that it connects to automatically, it will be a bit more reliable as it then knows you're in the car.

Reactions: ladytonya

sird28

macrumors member
Jan 16, 2012
So my phone has learned a bit about my traveling habits. When I leave for work now... it tells me if traffic is normal and how long it should take. Same when I leave for home in the evening. And on Saturdays it knows I like to go for a bike ride and tells me how long it'll take to get to the trailhead. It even knows that I see my g/f every Mon, Wed, & Fri evenings and when I leave home tells me how long it will take to get there. But this is all on my phone. Does anyone know if its possible to get this on my Apple Watch?

Use the Map Glance, if your phone is telling you traffic is normal the glance will tell you route, traffic and how long it will take you to get there.

I never knew about this until I accidentally looked at my map glance.

exxxviii

macrumors 65816
May 20, 2015
I just got a Garmin 735XT that I am experimenting with, and it got the traffic notification on the watch this morning. So, this is a normal notification, and the Apple Watch is suppressing it. Hopefully Apple will open this up with WOS3. It is really cool to get in the car and have the notification pop on the watch to tell me it is a "normal 20 minute commute."

Armen

macrumors 604
Apr 30, 2013
Los Angeles

Check out ETA app but be warned 3rd party complications are only allowed to refresh once every 30 minutes.

Watabou

macrumors 68040
Feb 10, 2008
United States
Probably not what you're looking for now, but this feature is now on the Apple Watch in watchOS 3.

Gives me a notification every time I get into my car what the time to work/home is.

exxxviii

macrumors 65816
May 20, 2015
Probably not what you're looking for now, but this feature is now on the Apple Watch in watchOS 3.

Gives me a notification every time I get into my car what the time to work/home is.
Sweet. I cannot wait for it...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.